• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Another Lost Year

Reaction score
It will be a miracle if I get to trip this year after my bicycle accident. More likely I’ll be able to day trip some streams in the fall, with help and successful surgery. Now, I can’t carry a bag of groceries let alone flip a canoe. This is my 3rd summer of no camping trips. I was wondering if anyone has recovered from spine fractures to be able to portage gear and what lingering effects are experienced.

Thanks for your support.

Hello Black_Fly,

I do hope your recovery goes well.

I have had some spine issues, but also have many other back issues which resulted in my being unable to lift anything more than 10lbs. I was seriously bummed out because I couldn't do any of my hobbies/activities. I couldn't walk to the end of my driveway.

Enter physical therapy, which I hate. I was pretty-much half-a**ing it for awhile, but I finally made the decision to try and wrote that date on a index card and placed it by my chair - made me keep looking at it.

To your question, I was able to completely return to my previous life. The lingering effect, which I have learned to use to my benefit, now is a symbol to go into a heat and stretching routine which keeps the issue from progressing. It is a tell-tale. With some Heat Factory warmers, some stretching, and maybe a shot or 2 of JD I have even managed this on a layover day in camp once.

Anyway, I offer this hopefully as a positive sign. Been there, I got depressed for a bit, and just started digging my way out. No restrictions at all - rode my ATV for 3 hours yesterday. Loaded and unloaded my self - no ramp. Stupid, right?

From reading all of your previous posts I have a feeling you will overcome this. It just sucks getting there!

Onward!

Not the same issue but I had both of my lower discs fused about 4 years ago and wondered if tripping would be possible afterwards. I have not done any tripping since but it would certainly be possible without issue. I just don't have the big desire any longer.

Alan

Same here, not the same issue but.... I had a spinal fusion at age 33, L3 right down to S1 (spinal base). Maybe I am lucky. Have raced XC skiing and MTB's up to age 70. Have portaged Old Town Trippers up until about that age also. At age 84 I still do multi day solo trips and am looking for a lighter solo boat.
Spinal fusions are not perfect though. In my case my pelvic tilt had been affected which leads to postural problems.
My son had a cycling accident and had a multifractured spine in 1982. He is doing very well today and is not botherred by it.

Don't give up, work at it and best of luck,

Gerald

I am going to participate in a multi-week Manitoba trip this year after missing out on Canadian trips for the past 3 years. In that time I have had a recurrence of my asthma as well as other lung problems and a hip joint replacement. So I have my fingers crossed that the trip will go well. I will be 76 this fall and hope I have a few more trips to look forward to. The Manitoba trip should go okay since all participants are in their 70's. The tripping countdown meter is definitely running on me.

The Manitoba trip should go okay since all participants are in their 70's.

Since I'm 78 I'll accept this optimism as somehow logical. However, I suspect I would have considered it somewhat of an oxymoron 40 years ago.

I don't have broken bones but have had undiagnosed lower back pain constantly for years. Along with general loss of strength and cardio fitness, I have a hard time lifting all but my lightest canoes now. That's why I bought a trailer. However, I suspect my days of portaging up and down hills in the woods are over. Still, there are no-portage river trips and lake shoreline trips available, as well as portage routes amenable to canoe carts.

Glenn, your description above of loss of general strength got me thinking about a recent Dr's visit I had. I am 62 and have been finding myself loosing strength in my hands and legs. Attributed it to getting older. Been in pain for some years now but figured that was the hand I drew. But this new weakness was sudden enough that I had it checked out. They were looking for ALS, which of course means Chick will be selling my stuff online for $0.10 on the dollar. They ruled out ALS, but we then had another theory - IBM disease. My Dr. never heard of it.
What are the symptoms of inclusion body myositis (IBM)?
  • Difficulty with gripping, pinching, and buttoning.
  • Weakness of the wrist and finger muscles.
  • Atrophy (shrinking or wasting) of the muscles of the forearms.
  • Weakness and visible wasting of the quadriceps muscles (the large muscles on the front part of the thighs.)
I hit on every one of these. Good thing is it doesn't kill you. From reading posts on here there has been an occasional references to getting older and losing some mojo. Perhaps this might help others.

I have not been officially diagnosed yet - that comes up next week. But if I was a betting man........

Black Fly, I am so sorry for your injury what with recovery stealing another summer for canoe tripping.

While it will take longer than you want, I wish you a speedy recovery. A few years back a broken ankle interfered with my tripping and I missed a year and then also had to make adjustments. I still have trouble getting in and out of a canoe due to loss of proprioception.

It helped me to exercise as much as I could, realizing that loss of muscle strength and flexibility is rapid at our ages. I also worked hard to stay positive, even if I had to grit my teeth when doing so.

Many of us are facing the sure knowledge that our tripping summers are limited. I know for me, it breaks my heart.

Hang in there BF, our bodies are pretty resilient and I wouldn't bet against your tripping again. My belief is that if you are capable of packing for and planning a trip and can load your boat on your vehicle, there is a trip out there for you.

I fractured C7 in April 1999, and had a fusion and discectomy. Although I wasn't doing much paddling at the time (broke it backcountry skiing), I was skiing the next season, and doing lots of things I shouldn't have throughout the summer (glissading (!), travel in rough country). I'm sure youth (40 yo at the time) helped, but 24 years later I'm still good, and it hasn't impeded anything (going on another 45 day trip to northern Canada in a few weeks). But then I crashed on my bicycle three years ago and got 13 more fractures (ribs, clavicle, scapula). Still good to go. I have lots of experience healing......

Thanks for all the encouragement. I DO have a cart at my cabin. I will have to keep it with me. I could possibly afford a hull that I can drag (suggestions welcome) when I get $ to fix my bike, although I sense a 15 year old bike gets totaled by insurance companies for a minimal $ in damages.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the encouragement. I DO have a cart at my cabin. I will have to keep it with me. I could possibly afford a hull that I can drag (suggestions welcome) when I get $ to fix my bike, although I sense a 15 year old bike gets totaled by insurance companies for a minimal $ in damages.
Hang in there bud, I badly broke my lower back a few years back, with L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 discs ruptured or bulged, unstable compression fractures of my L4, L5 vertebrae and 5 crushed or severed nerves to my left hip, pelvis, and leg resulting in partial paralysis. I was told I'd be in a wheelchair or at the very least require a rollator (I do use a cane). To make matters worse I have early onset arthritis in my hips and pelvis which precludes me from surgery.
I can still paddle though , but not in the way I'm used to- no more tractor seats or WW, no long paddling stretches (2hrs max between breaks),no long portages without a Sherpa, and severe weight restrictions. I can still carry my -40lb canoe a few times daily on short portages (50-75yds at a time) but my 60lb one is verboten.
A few changes that help- I use a cart (beefed up and gusseted bends)) to carry my canoe and pack when possible, I've changed to a fully adjustable internal frame pack so I can shift the load around, and when it's really bad, which is most of the time, I was taught a different style of walking by a diabetic with severe neuropathy called "sight walking"- each step you take, you quickly glance down at your feet to get a site picture of the terrain just before stepping on it, this alone cut my falls and stumbles by about 90%, but apparently I look like a drunken woodpecker when I walk.😆
another help is TWO headlights at night- one worn conventionally, and one around my neck angled down to light up my path.
there IS one huge advantage though- Because I've been forced to slow down and take more breaks, I see a lot more scenery and wildlife than ever before, and I get to park closer to the stores, restaurants, and put ins;)....

Back