• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

4th of July trip to Tangle lakes Ak.

Reaction score
73AF93D8-6162-409B-ABEB-5B5090E6B463.jpeg After a last minute decision to head north instead of south because of better weather we headed up the highway on a much longer 5+ hour drive. We hadn’t been north on a trip in almost 20 years, partly due to the drive but more so because of the mosquitos.

we enjoyed the ride and it felt like part of the adventure. Getting close to our destination we pulled over to stretch our legs and we’re immediately swarmed by the mosquitos. I had a bad feeling because my wife hates them and I thought we may have made a mistake.

We got to the put in, loaded up and took off. The bug spray was working for me but my wife needed her head net and gloves. We got to the portage after a couple miles. Somebody was camped there. They were not around but their two dogs were. They weren’t tied down and didn’t like us being there. I didn’t feel threatened but my wife did especially after one dog growled at us. Between that and the bugs her anxiety level was high. We got loaded up and headed out to find a campsite relieved to leave the dogs behind who never left us alone.

filedata/fetch?filedataid=19371
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ underway filedata/fetch?filedataid=19372
​ the portage filedata/fetch?filedataid=19373
​ i never weighed my packs before, but these two were over a hundred pounds. Luckily the port was flat and probably less than a quarter mile. filedata/fetch?filedataid=19374
​ view from tent filedata/fetch?filedataid=19375
filedata/fetch?filedataid=19376
​ ​​​​​​​

Well that didn't come out as planned, but at least it's something. We had a great time and that one portage gave me the confidence that we are ready to do a trip with more portages. It had been almost three years since my wife did any portaging and I had a back injury last year. It also was a reminder that bugs, while an annoyance, do not make or break a trip. We are looking forward to the next one.

When I emailed the image to myself, it said the size was 147 kB, which is not large at all. When the site tried to load it as an attachment, it said the image was 3.1 mb, which is very large. I hit Attach files, and then select photo library. I then select the image, and click Add. This seems to be straightforward, unless I am misunderstanding aomething.

I will try adding an image from my Mac.

Back