• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

260 Mile Texas Water Safari Race

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I lived in Austin, Texas, from 1977 to 1979 and regret that I never got involved with Texas river paddling or racing. I was busy with my young career and family and paddled only lakes. But here's an article and video that can give a taste of Texas racing:

The safari's on my bucket list, but it's a long way from Maine so the planets will have to align. Also, I don't think any of my current racing boats would survive it (vintage kevlar) so I'd have to rent a Spencer or something.

The safari's on my bucket list, but it's a long way from Maine so the planets will have to align. Also, I don't think any of my current racing boats would survive it (vintage kevlar) so I'd have to rent a Spencer or something.
We have lots of paddlers come in from out of state and many of them about as far away as you are. I’ve seen many complete the Safari in Kevlar boats and even wood strip boats. The key is to be cautious and take clean lines. I’ve seen really solid boats broken in half because of bad decisions or losing control of the boat. It is an incredible race. I hope the planets align for you.

Back