• Happy Leif Erikson Day! ⛵🪓🛡️

Recent content by lowangle al

  1. lowangle al

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    Yeah 63, 64 and 65 were my choice too. There's enough room at the landing for a lot of boats, with an easy soft launch. It would be a good spot for a get together. I'll have to check out that loop. Do you think it's skiable?
  2. lowangle al

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    One reason I wanted to head up there was to check out waterfront campsites. Now that I know which one I'd want to reserve I can make a plan to stay for a night or two. Did you do the Falls Trail?
  3. lowangle al

    Show us pictures of your canoe vehicle with boat(s)

    Yesterday, at Rickets Glen State Park in Pa. We never took the boat off the truck. As I was starting to untie it I realized I never grabbed the PFDs. I was really looking forward to paddling this boat and paddling Lake Jean for the first time but I wasn't too disappointed. It was borderline too...
  4. lowangle al

    Post your training paddles

    I'm sure training for racing would be different than training for tripping. For tripping, or just for exercise I don't feel the need to go high intensity. I usually mix up my paddles and do some higher intensity mixed with some at a more casual pace. If I go high intensity for too long my hands...
  5. lowangle al

    Show us pictures of your canoe dogs

    I don't have a dog, but my cat watches for rocks when needed.
  6. lowangle al

    Video: 30 Days in the Wilderness of Labrador and Quebec | Full Documentary

    That was a great trip, and they made a great video of it. Definitely worth watching.
  7. lowangle al

    Photo of the day

    I didn't even have to pull the trigger, my neighbor supplied me with quite a bit recently. He also gave me this mushroom. I cooked this up earlier in the week. I picked these honey mushrooms.
  8. lowangle al

    Post your training paddles

    My best training paddles are the long day trips I do. Five or six hour jaunts where I sometimes push it the whole time. Poling upstream and paddling in the wind kick it up a notch. For my typical workout paddles on my lake I have been trying to get five miles in a session. I don't push it the...
  9. lowangle al

    Photo of the day

    This guy was in my front yard the other day.
  10. lowangle al

    First paddle of the year

    I'm glad you got out Alan. It looks like a beautiful night. I recently realized I haven't been on an overnight trip yet this year. I think I still have time to change that.
  11. lowangle al

    Canoe surfing video

    That looks like a lot of fun and I'm a big fan of The Norther Scavenger. I've surfed ocean waves in outrigger canoes, but as part of a crew, not solo. This photo is from last summer in Hawaii. This is a double hull canoe as opposed to an outrigger. One of the hulls of this boat used to be an...
  12. lowangle al

    Three Nights on Low's Lake - Solitude + Wind

    Great TR of a great destination. It brought back some memories.
  13. lowangle al

    T-Satellite

    The two times I needed to use satellite communication was to inform the folks at home that I would be extending my trip. It's not only for doom and gloom.
  14. lowangle al

    Indisputable proof that kayaks have always been clown cars

    I've heard the silt on the bottom of my boat and I've heard that it will drag you down if you swim, but I'm not sure it's true. Unfortunately there are a lot of drowning deaths in remote AK. but I doubt many victims were wearing traditional fur clothing or a pfd for that matter. Maybe it would...
  15. lowangle al

    Indisputable proof that kayaks have always been clown cars

    I think their clothes are very buoyant. I was talking with an Inupiat whale hunter a couple years ago and he told me a story where ten men went in the water when their boats capsized. None of them knew how to swim and none had PFDs, but they all survived. Their parkas are typically made from...
Back
Top Bottom