• Happy 1st Installation of an Escalator (1911, London)! 🪜

Recent content by eckilson

  1. eckilson

    Indisputable proof that kayaks have always been clown cars

    That dark-hulled, radar-equipped, ocean-going, private super yacht is the Chantal Ma Vie. It's a bargain to charter at a mere $250K a week. Some people live in a different world..;. I haven't done any sea kayak camping yet. Harbor Islands are on my list, as is the Maine Island Trail.
  2. eckilson

    Indisputable proof that kayaks have always been clown cars

    More evidence that kayaks carry clowns ;) Yesterday's trip in Boston Harbor. I worked in Boston for 45-years, but this was the first time that I paddled there. Seemed like a place to bring the sea kayak.
  3. eckilson

    L.L.Bean no longer sells, canoes, kayaks, paddles, PFDs or canoe accessories

    I'm not sure that it is any great loss. L.L.Bean never manufactured canoes, kayaks, paddles, PFDs, or canoe/camping accessories. They were simply rebranding other people's stuff. Presumably, that stuff is still available through other distribution channels. To me, LL Bean has always been a...
  4. eckilson

    Connecticut River Paddlers Trail - Campsite Registry

    At least there are some campsite options on this section if our preferred site is occupied. Howard Island or Horse Meadow upstream of Harkdale Farm. Vaughan Meadow (although we paddled right by is last time we were there) upstream of Underhill. Birch Meadow upstream of Roaring Brook. We’ll see...
  5. eckilson

    Connecticut River Paddlers Trail - Campsite Registry

    Yes - we are probably going to do Woodsville to North Thetford. Put-in - Woodsville Access (NH) First Night - Harkdale Farm Campsite (VT) – 9 miles Second Night - Underhill Campsite (NH) – 13 miles Third Night - Roaring Brook Campsite (VT) – 10 miles Take out - North Thetford Landing (VT) – 2...
  6. eckilson

    Connecticut River Paddlers Trail - Campsite Registry

    Planning a trip next weekend on the Connecticut River. I just went to the Connecticut River Paddler Trail site to put some sites in the campsite registry, but couldn't find it. Is it gone? I know nothing was guaranteed and not everyone used it, but it was still nice to have.
  7. eckilson

    T-Satellite

    I have a TG-7. I purchased it recently when the zoom lever died on my TG-4. I think today's phones take better pictures than point-and-shoot waterproof cameras, but I leave the camera in my PFD pocket all the time so I can pull it out quickly, and I don't feel comfortable doing that with my...
  8. eckilson

    Day Tripping in the Adirondacks - Henderson Lake, Boreas Ponds, Forked Lake

    I can see the trail on the map - 6-miles from the shelter at the northern end of Henderson to the shelters at Duck Hole. There was a hiker heading up that trail when we were there. Do you paddle up Preston Ponds. Just curious - don't think I'm that ambitious. I see this one on the map too...
  9. eckilson

    Day Tripping in the Adirondacks - Henderson Lake, Boreas Ponds, Forked Lake

    After my overnight trip on the Oswegatchie, I joined my local club (RICKA) for some base camping and day trips. The base camp was at Eaton Lake Campground. I was able to do three trips: Henderson Lake Henderson Lake sits on the edge of the High Peaks Wilderness Area and is the “official”...
  10. eckilson

    4-person and 6-person tents for car camping canoeing

    I spent 4 nights in my new tent in the ADK last week. We got some wind and heavy rain, and the tent was solid and dry. Setting up the big front vestibule door with poles as an awning makes it easy to get in and out when the weather is nice. The best feature is the side vestibule door, which made...
  11. eckilson

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    The Cedar Stump Campsites on the Rapid River are operated by Northern Waters. https://beoutside.com/camping
  12. eckilson

    Is Low's Lake Crowded Near the End of September?

    Just back from a trip on the Oswegatchie. There were three groups ahead of us on the way in. Only one was left on the way out, but we did see two new groups coming in. I wouldn't call it crowded, but there were plenty of beaver dams.
  13. eckilson

    Camping on the Oswegatchie

    I am just back from a week in the Adirondacks. The trip started with 4-days/3-nights on the Oswegatchie. We did an up-and-back from Inlet to High Falls. We had three solo boats – a Guide, a Penobscot 15 and a Yellowstone Solo. If anyplace deserves the name “beaver-dam-land”, this is it. We...
  14. eckilson

    Norm L'Italien's Last Season

    My favorite picture of Norm. Hope someone takes over the business.
  15. eckilson

    4-person and 6-person tents for car camping canoeing

    On my tent I see staking up the end vestibule door as a canopy/awning more for convenient access and shade rather than for protection from the rain. My tent isn't that tall to begin with, so sloping it down isn't practical. In the rain I'll close the end door and use the door on the side of...
Back
Top Bottom