• Happy 1st Installation of an Escalator (1911, London)! 🪜

Recent content by BirchBeer

  1. BirchBeer

    Solo on the Light Side

    Thanks for the update it looks incredible. It seems like you met your goals and then some.
  2. BirchBeer

    Solo on the Light Side

    I read this whole thread an many others here along with canoecraft, and I have to say you all have filled in so many details and all I can say is thank you and you’ve all sealed my fate and I will be definitely building a canoe this winter. That being said @Cruiser how does it paddle?? You...
  3. BirchBeer

    Paddling a solo canoe with a Greenland style paddle?

    I hadn't heard of Clark Bowlen. Wow his skin on fram canoe builds look very interesting! Are there other threads here where folks discuss the his builds?
  4. BirchBeer

    Missinaibi River

    That sounds like an awesome trip. I love that train. The Canadian! Earlier this summer I was on that train and it stopped to pick up a canoe and a couple of paddlers. I also chatted with some other trippers getting off with their gear in Winnipeg and getting flown into the Bloodvein area for a...
  5. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Thanks Mike It looks like its a 2020. Did I understood correctly that you are working on a T-formex replacement?
  6. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Yeah it's the standard tandem setup without wood gunwales. Hmmmm let me find that tape measure .... yep its a 16'. The scale setup wasn't the best but I doubt that it was 10 lbs off. I'm pretty happy for the 10 extra pounds of durability ... ;)
  7. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Well I just weighed it for you. I hadn't weighed it until now because I apparently preferred being in denial. I weighed it by balancing it on its side on a decent digital bathroom scale. My 16' Prospecteur t-Formex comes in at a disappointing 76lbs! So I'd have to think the 17 would likely weigh...
  8. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Mike McCrea I'll see if I can get the weights of both those boats as it would be really interesting to know.
  9. BirchBeer

    New member in Saskatchewan

    Hey Rubbaboo/Ruby, It's great to see that another local is on this forum. Although I feel somewhat of an imposter as we've only relocated here last year. My wife had to tell me what "Queens city" is. I really should have figured that one out. Also, I can't even imagine how you coped with the...
  10. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Hellman Canoes! So many canoe manufacturers! As far as I know Clipper, Swift, Novacraft, and Esquif are what we have available locally and the stocks as of now are very low for this spring.
  11. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Yeah that canoe has sailed. Money has traded hands for the Esquif and I'm seeing it as a forgiving canoe for folks who are learning and haven't really dialed in a tripping style. I do have an affinity for running whitewater, but very little experience doing it in a canoe. The outfitters in the...
  12. BirchBeer

    New member in Saskatchewan

    PaddlingPitt, yes I have that book as well, thanks for pointing it out. I also have Ric Driediger's book Paddling routes of Northern Saskatchewan on order.
  13. BirchBeer

    New member in Saskatchewan

    Thanks recped, I'm dreaming of getting up to the Churchill, Missinipe and CRCO. Thanks for the links to the old canoe routes. My wife gave me the book Canoeing the Churchill by Greg Marchildon for Xmas. It's a really exceptional book about the area.
  14. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    Thanks for the input billconner. The capacity of the Prospecteur 16 is 850lbs, so yes hopefully that makes a comfortable carry of 550 to 600lbs. So 550lbs minus my weight of 240 and my wife's of 120 ends up with 190 to 240 lbs left over for gear. Does that sound unreasonable? But the gist...
  15. BirchBeer

    Just purchased 16' Esquif Prospecteur T-Formex, should I get the 17' foot instead?

    I am expecting to do a fair bit portaging. I'm hoping to do a lot canoeing of the Churchill river area of Saskatchewan and there are plenty of portages as far as I can tell.
Back
Top Bottom