• Happy World Farm Animals Day! 🐄🐖🐔

Recent content by BillC

  1. B

    17' Old Town wood/canvas derelict (well maybe)

    Terrific Response. Thank you so much! Is the planking also white cedar?
  2. B

    17' Old Town wood/canvas derelict (well maybe)

    Well I'm back folks. Finally after two weeks got the This Old Canoe book through Amazon. First they said it was lost, then damaged by UPS, then sent via USPS and undeliverable. That all took two weeks. Visited the canoe today and lifted the serial number: 175240. 7or 17. Remember it's a 17 Old...
  3. B

    17' Old Town wood/canvas derelict (well maybe)

    Totally appreciate all the comments particularly Manaque’s soliloquy. I believe perchance he has brought out my real issue with attempting this restoration. While I believe I can master the project, I have no practical use for a wood canoe that I can barely lift. Unless it is perfect likely...
  4. B

    17' Old Town wood/canvas derelict (well maybe)

    Thank you all, I feel most blessed and encouraged by your e timely responses.
  5. B

    17' Old Town wood/canvas derelict (well maybe)

    Thank you all-well said and if I pass before it’s done-who cares? Gamma-Watcha doing up at 4? I wake up then but roll over after I hit the head. 😇
  6. B

    17' Old Town wood/canvas derelict (well maybe)

    I just got back from viewing this beautiful beast near my house. My neighbor found it in the attic 5 years ago when he bought the house and believes the prior house owner also found it there. It has sat outside for the last 5 years and the deterioration is obvious. I believe we know, once...
  7. B

    Canoe ID and restoration

    Hi Dana, I'm a little late to this thread but wanted to first say terrific job. I just finished what I believe to be a MR Explorer and had similar issues with breaking scarfs. Here's my thought which I hope others will chime in on: Since even our best scarfs appear to have too much stress on...
  8. B

    Is this a Royalex? Im back with a new canoe

    Gentlemen. I launched about two weeks ago and she rides beautifully. I haven't fixed the patch and it may need to be done. Right now I'm enjoying paddling around the lake in an almost Adirondack environment 1.5 hours from Manhattan. My next project has just presented itself by a neighbor who has...
  9. B

    Is this a Royalex? Im back with a new canoe

    Gamma 1214, Two responses: 1) Likely I didn't let the glue cure fully thus the lost splices. I did fasten them but only after they broke. Still not a bad job. 2) As to Royalex cracks- this canoe was abandoned and left out for years in freezing weather until the gunnels and inwalls rotted off...
  10. B

    1982 Mohawk Intrepid - To Repair or To Not Repair

    Hi Mike and a hearty welcome to the site. The guys on this site are like having a platoon of engineers at your disposal with beaucoup knowledge. I also am starting a Rolalex project and looking to repatch a large bow boo-boo. While somewhat new to this hobby, I do have one piece of advice if you...
  11. B

    Is this a Royalex? Im back with a new canoe

    Gentlemen, I've redone the gunnels and inwalls and made new decks and lifting handles. I'm not installing the decks until I solve the patch issue on the bow. I will varnish all of that and the seats once I'm done with the hull and patch. First Issue: Please take a closer look at the bow...
  12. B

    Cedar Strip Basket Case: Advice Sought

    Hey Jim, Very helpful post. I just checked Adirondack Guide Boat and they are offering the 4 bronze locks for $350. I think offerings of these locks made by Blue Mountain are intermittent. Unfortunately, I do not have the pins. I am offering my boat for $700 with all four locks. I don't have...
  13. B

    Cedar Strip Basket Case: Advice Sought

    Just to finish off this project, we made the decks from butternut and the gunnels etc from white oak. I actually want to sell this Adirondack guide boat as for me the fun was taking on the challenge, finding folks to help me, you guys and Clark Darling, making mistakes, not replacing wood in...
  14. B

    Is this a Royalex? Im back with a new canoe

    Is this a Royalex? I'm back with a new canoe. I've done the gunnels but need to repair a patch to the front. Looks like it's filled with bondo. Thoughts?
Back
Top Bottom