• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Winter has arrived

Odyssey,

Please, please, please, write a book. You have a gift. I am sitting here reading your post and can see every last detail in front of me. The choice of words and the way they are strung together just speak to me. I am sure that many others would echo my thoughts here.

Just saying your talents need to be shared with many more than just this board, although we could just keep you to ourselves :)

Thanks

Thanks Momentum, you're very kind. That was actually an e-mail I sent to my brother. He reminded me in response, that the old barn was an Old Chum tobacco advert. For the life of me, I couldn't dredge up a memory of what that sign read. He told me a lovely story of how he'd bicycle and walk year round to that spot, from which to hitch a ride into the city to work. On one morning the seasons and time aligned just so, and he welcomed a sunrise at that very spot. His story put me back there again; except he left out the part about a farm dog that used to test my cycling speed "art arf!" peddle peddle, every darned time I'd bicycle by. That I'd like to forget.
It might just be some silly affection for old things, or maybe more, but I think I'd like to copycat some photographic calendars I've seen and take pics of as many old barns as I can...before they fall down or are torn down. There are still some beautiful ones. Just last summer I drove past a grand old dairy barn, and was delighted to see some heavy equipment working around it for several days. One day I drove by to see that the guy had knocked it down. dang! In short order he threw up a sharp looking steel barn in it's place, erected on the same footprint, but poured foundations rather than fieldstone and mortar. There goes another piece of history. I see that his equipment has sat back beyond the tree line, down near the creek. I wonder if he's reusing the stone and salvaged timber to build another structure back there? That's what I'd do, in a nice quiet place amongst the trees and water. If he builds it well enough, and with enough care and integrity, perhaps it'll be admired for generations to come.

ps I was kinda nervous after I'd originally posted; giving the naked tree thing a rethink.

Last edited:
Robin, you are living the dream. Your canoe rack caught my eye: I didn't see any diagonal braces. Is there special hardware attaching the horizontal brackets to the wall?

Well, pretty big night tonight. I managed to stay off the couch, work in the shop, AND go to the gym. The gym was fun. They close at 8:30 but if you pay extra you can get a little fob that will let you in 24 hours. I showed up a little after 9:00 and was the only person there. Of course right away I realized that I forgot my shoes at home so all I had was my winter hiking boots. But hey, I'm the only one here. If I want to work out in winter hiking boots then I can work out in winter hiking boots. So I tromped my way out to the basketball court to shoot some hoops for a warmup, walked the track a bit and then hit some weights. It was great being there alone. I could talk to myself and grunt and groan as much as I wanted. I could try different exercises and machines without thinking everyone is snickering at me because I'm doing it wrong and if I wanted to just sit there and stare at the wall for 5 minutes I could. I'm thinking of bringing a sleeping bag and pad next time and doing an overnighter.

Alan

I'm really enjoying your winter posts here Alan. It's funny how appropriate working out in winter boots on a treadmill seems at this time of year? But I just had a thought. If you have the place pretty much to yourself every night, and don't mind overnighters, then I bet there's plenty of space in that gym for a strong back, power tools and a load of cedar strips.

That's quite the man-cave you have there Robin. I'm envious...no smell-e-vision necessary, I could smell that deer steak cooking all the way up here. You know, I'm starting to think you've got a pretty good appetite, that was meal fit for a bear coming out of hibernation!

Thanks, I think my eyes where bigger than my stomach, but the leftovers where excellent.

Wondering what the poor people are doing?

When things where tight at times growing up, that was my Dad's favorite expression when there was some excellent food on the table, took our minds off of what we didn't have.

Nice video, great shop, thanks Robin.

Thanks Dennis, I took some of your ideas from your nice shop.

Robin, you are living the dream. Your canoe rack caught my eye: I didn't see any diagonal braces. Is there special hardware attaching the horizontal brackets to the wall?

Thanks Oldschool,
I cut some brackets from scrap plywood for the braces, holds those heavy wood canvas canoes with ease. There is a little flex left or right at the end of the horizontal brackets, but not enough to cause any concern.

I'm really enjoying your winter posts here Alan. It's funny how appropriate working out in winter boots on a treadmill seems at this time of year? But I just had a thought. If you have the place pretty much to yourself every night, and don't mind overnighters, then I bet there's plenty of space in that gym for a strong back, power tools and a load of cedar strips.

That's a great idea! I was thinking of moving in as they have a little area with a couch and microwave and showers in the locker room. But I hadn't even considered moving the shop in there as well! $300/year seems like pretty cheap rent for a 30,000 square foot house/shop, utilities included. The dog and cats will love it too! They're on a big lot at the edge of town so the chickens will have plenty of room as well.

Alan

Well, here's my primary reason for winter inactivity. Occasionally drag wood in to keep it going and then once the heat sinks in, I hardly move. Lots of reading get done though.

Very nice. They're time bandits for sure. So hard to pull yourself away from that heat. I'll just read for a little bit longer......

Alan

Thursday was nice and cold skiing at Gore mountain at -15. Too bad the gondola was frozen until 11:00, and the top of the mountain was closed. All in all, it was worth the 3.5 hour drive for a day on my favorite NY mountain for $24.

Psst. You want to see my spurtle? Come a little closer. I'll show it to you.
Every year, almost without fail, either my wife or I forget all about a well hidden Christmas present we've stashed away somewhere, waiting for Christmas morning to give it to one another. Just last night we were sitting in the kitchen, and I was saying how I'd like to make a batch of scones this weekend; a recipe from my Scottish grandmother. My wife jumped up and blurted out "Oh no! There's something I forgot to give you for Christmas!!" When she came back in she handed me this. My very own spurtle.
P1150773.JPG

Yeah, it looks like a magic wand I know. But it's a spurtle. If you love porridge as much as I do, it is kinda magic.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-spurtle.htm#didyouknowout

It's not exactly tripping gear, though you could whittle one if so desired. This one will stay at home, right next to my big jar of steel cut oats. I love a hearty breakfast of porridge in the winter. A generous swirl of maple syrup stirred in, adds magic to the oats.

Ha! Not many are familiar with the spurtle I'll wager. I, too, like my my steel cut oats and have a spurtle in the drawer.

Got mine from this fellow:
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/Shopping/spurtle.htm

I like my porridge with honey butter. My honey butter has a touch of cinnamon and vanilla. Dip chunks of freshly made bannock bread in porridge so administered... yummm
cool.png

I cheat when tripping and use regular oats (no quick oats, thank you very much), as the steel cut are rather fuel intensive. And there's no one else in my crowd whom shares my affection for porridge.

It's not exactly tripping gear, though you could whittle one if so desired.

Do you think a scandi grind would be best for that?

Alan

Do you think a scandi grind would be best for that?

Alan

Funny you should mention that.

A couple years ago on a 6 day on Yellowstone lake I discovered on my first night out that I had taken off without my utensil pouch. No worries, just carve up a set of replacements. But the fork is a tough one. After a few attempts I understand now why so many old fork designs had only two tines. My finished utensils worked fine but they were definitely on the large side. Felt a bit like Fred Flintstone while eating with them :)

Tent pegs are much easier....

Funny you should mention that.

A couple years ago on a 6 day on Yellowstone lake I discovered on my first night out that I had taken off without my utensil pouch. No worries, just carve up a set of replacements. But the fork is a tough one. After a few attempts I understand now why so many old fork designs had only two tines. My finished utensils worked fine but they were definitely on the large side. Felt a bit like Fred Flintstone while eating with them :)

Tent pegs are much easier....

One key ingredient in carving utensils is to use wood that has no cross grain. I.e., the grain runs parallel to the face of the work piece - and it's best if the grain is convex on the back side of the utensil because of how it will shrink. If there's cross grain a fork is likely to split when cutting down between the tines and a spoon will warp. The secret to making a fork is to lay the work piece flat and cut down across the grain. Also, if you aren't using a fine chisel, it's better to make short tines and set them a little farther apart than a dinner fork, more like a big salad fork.

Thursday was nice and cold skiing at Gore mountain at -15. Too bad the gondola was frozen until 11:00, and the top of the mountain was closed. All in all, it was worth the 3.5 hour drive for a day on my favorite NY mountain for $24.

Have you ever skied Hickory? A little closer for you in Warrensburg, like a smaller Mad River Glen...
And how about Plattekill? Even closer yet for you and similar to Mad and Hickory.
Both are fantastic when there is enough natural snow.

One key ingredient in carving utensils is to use wood that has no cross grain. I.e., the grain runs parallel to the face of the work piece - and it's best if the grain is convex on the back side of the utensil because of how it will shrink. If there's cross grain a fork is likely to split when cutting down between the tines and a spoon will warp. The secret to making a fork is to lay the work piece flat and cut down across the grain. Also, if you aren't using a fine chisel, it's better to make short tines and set them a little farther apart than a dinner fork, more like a big salad fork.

Thank you for the tips, sir. The information and experience available at this forum never ceases to amaze ;)

I'm hoping the next time I try this will not be out of necessity but for pleasure and education.

Back