• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Build your own canvas wall tent

Old ways are the best ways. Col Townsend Whelen came up with his elegant design around WWI. I haved a nylon version which is surprisingly comfortable even in winter in deep snow.

A friend of mine, a wildland firefigter is having his nephew out for a visit this Jan after Christmas.
He is an outdoors kid, so we are planning a fire, a lean-to and some Dutch Oven cooking. If it snows I will have him help me set up the wall tent with a stove. Spread the Lore or it will be lost.

I took my wall tent and stove to Yosemite one fall in late Oct. I had a line of people that wanted to check it out. There were mostly under about 30 years old.

So every night we had a fire under the full moon surrounded by giant ponderosa pine, white fir and incense cedar trees. Then I would take a shovel of coals into the stove in the wall tent and read John Muir watching the shadows of conifers dancing on the canvas in the moonlight. I can hear and smell the stove now as I am writing this. Old ways are the best ways.

Last edited:
Hi robin,
Just returend from the North American Foundation for Wild Sheep Show in Reno. I talked with two tent builder, Colorado Tent Co and Montana Canvas. They make their tents to order. I was thinking of you when I asked "Can you make one that is 8x10?" They both said "Sure."

Back