• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

What are your current solo canoes and how do you like them?

I've been considering a lightweight whitewater canoe for a while, but Millbrooks and others are RARE down here, even though I am close to the southern Appalachians. It's funny how Royalex gets so much heavier with age.
Good luck - I think you are going to love it.

Millbrook is just over the border in NH, so there is a big following around here with whitewater boaters and slalom racers. I have actually been on trips where there are more Millbrooks than kayaks. Those are good trips.

Good luck - I think you are going to love it.

Millbrook is just over the border in NH, so there is a big following around here with whitewater boaters and slalom racers. I have actually been on trips where there are more Millbrooks than kayaks. Those are good trips.
I took your advice and now have a like new, basically unused (not a single river scratch on the bottom!), factory outfitted Millbrook Outrage of 2020 vintage. I couldn't turn it down.
I can't wait to get it on the water this weekend.

I’ve had a bunch over the years. Wish I’d kept a couple. I now own 2 Northstar solos (magic, phoenix) and a Nova Craft prospector 15 which I only paddle solo. Tripping boat, play boat, river beater.

Solo's I own......in order of purchase (all used)

- Mad River Guide, this was a major improvement over using a tandem as a solo.
- Swift Raven, I bought this mostly for my tripping partner to use since he only had a small ww boat (Perception HD-1)
- Mohawk XL14, a major step up from the super wet Guide/Raven
- Mohawk Probe 12II, an old school playboat for river daytripping
- Mohawk XL14, a red one this time, was a backup to the previous XL14 for when I "destroyed" the first one. Turns out I was able to do more damage to the second one and now it's in need of serious repairs.

Only the Probe is not yet suffering from extensive cracks, holes, bent gunnels etc. all the rest have plenty of patches. With 7 canoes stashed in my garage I do not have any space to add more (the other two are an Explorer and my only non-Royalex boat (an early 1960's Lakefield w/c I last used in the 1980's).

With a (Herculean) Iliad paddle?

no - though when I look at the one in the link, it's almost identical.. mine is a fiberglass Werner, a model no longer made. I've battered it nearly into submission ;-) carry it as the spare these days, in whitewater it's always the Werner CF Bandit.

I have a Phoenix which I love for twisty swamps and small flatwater, but I wish I had something I could stand in and pole that would have similarly versatile tracking/turning capabilities. I've thought about getting a Prospector but not sure it would fit the bill.

I have a Phoenix which I love for twisty swamps and small flatwater, but I wish I had something I could stand in and pole that would have similarly versatile tracking/turning capabilities. I've thought about getting a Prospector but not sure it would fit the bill.
You can’t stand and pole in your Phoenix? Huh, that’s strange.

To be honest I haven't really tried yet. I'm overdue for some self-rescue drills - I suspect attempts to pole the Phoenix would provide a good opportunity. As soon as the water warms up a bit.....

Finally got out briefly in my new (used) SRT today. Love it so far, and gotta say that the talk of it feeling unstable to newcomers is wildly overblown - it felt rock solid from the moment I set foot in it, despite me approaching it with a bit of trepidation due to what I'd read. Can't wait to get it outfitted and loaded up for a trip, when i expect it'll really shine, as opposed to empty in a partially frozen/slushy pond.

Finally got out briefly in my new (used) SRT today. Love it so far, and gotta say that the talk of it feeling unstable to newcomers is wildly overblown - it felt rock solid from the moment I set foot in it, despite me approaching it with a bit of trepidation due to what I'd read. Can't wait to get it outfitted and loaded up for a trip, when i expect it'll really shine, as opposed to empty in a partially frozen/slushy pond.
I absolutely LOVED my afternoon in a SRT on a windy lake - both maneuverable and decently tracking - a solid two-way tripper for sure. I was kneeling, and I think that made a huge difference in stability. I suspect if you are out without a load and sitting up in the seat, the SRT is quick to heel. But if you're on your knees and/or paddling with a tripping load, I am quite sure that boat has just the right amount of play...

Last edited:
Well, you all have dragged me over to the dark side. My first dedicated solo canoe is this 1986 Curtis Dragonfly. Thanks @NoelCanoeDad for the evening paddle, great conversation, and eventual sale of this canoe.

I’ve acquired 3 canoes in 10 months. I’m starting to worry this might become a problem…

View attachment 140425
Thank you for the nice conversation and the excuse to get out on the water. I’m glad it’s in the hands of someone who will appreciate it. I look forward to paddling beside you for many river miles to come.

Back