• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Trip Report: Bog River Flow/Lows Lake, Adirondack Park, NY - May 24-28, 2019

Reaction score
After much thought and consideration, I decided to chance a trip up to the ADKs on Memorial Day weekend and during black fly season. A big part of my decision to go forward was having both the Friday and Tuesday off and having a Nemo Bug Out Shelter that I could retreat to if needed. I was also "chomping at the bit" to get out on the water and paddle.

Friday, May 24

I left a bit later than planned, due to the last minute decision and the need to get my gear and food together. I arrived at Lower Dam parking area around noon and as expected, there were no spots near the register and several vehicles just pulled up (in the middle) to unload. I retreated a little ways up the access road and found a good parking spot. It had been drizzling with some periods of heavier showers all the way up and it continued as I unloaded my Sawyer Autumn Mist solo canoe and gear. Figuring that I might have to park a ways from the put-in, I brought along the cart, so I put all of the gear, except the my main pack, into the boat and carted it down to the put-in. By this time, all but one group had launched, so the getting the boat in the water, stowing the gear and putting on the deck cover was simple. I walked back up to the car with the cart, registered on the return, launched and headed out. Really a pretty easy process, especially considering the number of vehicles that were there. Even though it was drizzling, it was a pleasant paddle up the Bog River and through Hitchins Pond. No one was camped at any of the sites along the river and only one campsite (near the outflow from the dam) was occuppied on Hitchins Pond. When I arrived at the Upper Dam carry, there was one party there - a father and three boys. They were fishing and had not taken their gear or canoe and kayak over the carry. We had a nice conversation at both ends of the carry. They left ahead of me and I decided to have some lunch before launching into the upper Bog River. The bugs had not been troublesome thus far, so I was able to enjoy my lunch by the riverside. Just before I left, I met a solo paddler who had started out at Lake Lila and was doing the loop. We briefly discussed his trip and it was interesting to hear about it. The paddle from there was pretty much uneventful, except for the usual minor inconvenience of getting around the floating bog. My plan was to camp at site #17, but considering the number of people in already for the weekend, I had my doubts whether it would be available. In any case I set about putting in a steady paddle towards the site. On the way, I didn make note of other sites that were open, just in case I had to backtrack if #17 was taken. I was fortunate it was not and arrived with plenty of time to unload and setup camp. After setting up, I spent the rest of the day in camp, relaxing, reading and enjoying the peace and tranquility; turning in around 9:30.

Saturday, May 25

Although I awoke just after sunrise, I was so comfortable in my hammock, that I fell back asleep for a couple of hours. Awaking just before 9:30, I noted that I never sleep that long at home because my bed is not nearly as comfortable as my hammock. I felt rested and refreshed. After a breakfast of oatmeal and dried fruit, I packed some gear and lunch for a day excursion. It was partly sunny when I left and the temperature was in the upper 60s. The forecast was for rain starting later in the afternoon and continuing through the night, so I decided to spend the day exploring the areas I had passed on the way to the campsite, as there were many bays and passages enroute. Unlike the day before, I did have to don the headnet at times because of the black flies.

Later in the afternoon, it did cloud up and start to drizzle, so I headed back to campsite, parked myself in the bug-out shelter and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening reading (The Second Mountain by David Brooks) and relaxing; calling it a day and turning-in around the same time as the day before.

Sunday, May 26

The day dawned bright, sunny and very windy, as the rain from the night before had blown through. Despite sometimes making the paddling a bit more work, I really enjoy a windy day in the forest. Even though it was windy, I decided I would paddle up to the main part of Lows to find a spot to hang out, have lunch, take photos and read. So after packing up, I headed towards lake.

After rounding the point just to the north of my campsite, I felt the full force of the wind, which was strong enough to create whitecaps on the lake. Deciding not to paddle out into the main part of the lake, I found nice sandy beach area with a view of the lake and enough in the wind to keep it insect-free. I parked my self there for a few hours, enjoying the weather and the scenery, taking pictures and reading.

Monday, May 27

I was awakened from another restful slumber by the sound of multiple groups of paddlers passing the site on their way out. The day was sunny and warm, much less windy than the day before.

After breakfast, I decided to spend the day doing some more exploration of the local area and to put some time in trying to master the art of Tenkara fly fishing. My first destination was back up towards the main lake, to check out campsite #18 (if it was unoccuppied) for a future trip with my family. I hadn't camped at that site for many years. The site is directly on the lake, with full western exposure, so it is subject to the wind and weather. However, it is a large site with a great view up the lake and a nice beach adjacent to it. Also, it can be accessed from the back, so it is not necessary to paddle into the main lake (if weather makes it difficult) to get to it.

After spending an enjoyable few hours at the site, I headed out through the back bay and spent a couple hours, doing what turned out to be, practicing casting with my Tenkara rod, as I caught no fish. Upon returning to camp, I spent a couple of hours exploring the forest behind the campsite and taking photos.

Later, I began the process of breaking camp, trying to minimize what would have to be done in the morning. Knowing that I had a 3-4 trip out and at least a five hour ride back home, my plan was to get an early start.

Tuesday, May 28

The forecast I had for today before coming in was cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. I awoke before sunrise, got up, had breakfast and was finishing packing just after sunrise. It was overcast but there was no precipitation. Since the forecast called for showers, I decided to put on the canoe cover.

When I was about 100 yards off-shore, it began to drizzle. About a quarter mile away, it started to shower and about a quarter mile further, it started pouring down rain. I donned the paddling jacket and pants and cinched the spray cover around me. It rained hard all the way to the upper dam. I doubled to the lower carry and the rain stopped. I had a quick snack and since it was no longer raining, I did not deploy the canoe cover. About 300 yards out after putting in, it began to come down even harder than before. Since this was the final leg of the trip out and knowing that I could do it in 30-40 minutes, I decided against returning to shore or one of Hitchins Pond campsites to put the cover on. Afterall, how much water could actually get in the canoe in the time it would take me to get to the lower dam. I threw a tarp over the gear behind me and paddled on, with only a short pause under the railroad bridge.

Upon arriving at the lower dam, with it still pouring down rain, I quickly unloaded the canoe and carried the gear up to the gate near the register, covering it with the tarp. Retrieving the car keys from my thwart bag, I noted that only my car and one other were parked on the access road. No vehicles were in the lot. I pulled the car down near the gate and set it up for the canoe. I then went back for the canoe and was amazed at how much water was in it! Obvious to me now, was that it would have been worth the time and effort to go to shore and put the cover back on (or better yet, put it on to begin with)!

With the canoe and gear loaded and still in my paddling suit, I jumped in the car and headed out. I turned the heater on to take away some of the chill I was feeling. The paddling suit worked great, but I forgotten to bring the proper head gear and my Tilley hat (which is ventilated) did only a marginal job in keeping my head dry and warm on that wet paddle out.

Despite the delay caused by single lane traffic because of road work on the way to Long Lake, it was a short drive to the restroom by the lake, a quick change into dry clothes followed by coffee from Stewarts. Next was the five hour ride home, most of it in rain like I had just paddled through.

Overall, with the exception of the last day, the weather was good and the bugs were not bad. Being in the forest, in such a scenic and interesting location with the time to relax and enjoy it made this a trip to remember. I am looking forward to returning here later in the summer to share it with my wife, son, daughter and son-in-law.

Here is a link to some photos from my trip.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your photos did not make it into the post. But I know well of all the places you mentioned. Lows is the favorite hang out of many people, becoming too many in recent years. I've been going there at least once a year for a long time. Two weeks from now will mark my 30th year as an instructor of wilderness guides. We use Lows as our field training and evaluation base. This year I have 16 students signed up so far, with perhaps more to come (classes have been as large as 35 in years past). We split into small trek groups with two instructors each to provide training scenarios, observe, evaluate, and hopefully certify each person as qualified to guide in the Adirondacks. Not all will make the final recommended grade. We teach everything from the "soft skills" of inter-personal interactions, to "hard skills" of backpacking, canoeing, backcountry navigation, campsite selection, gear, food preparation, rules and regulations, LNT, and of course first aid medical conditions and safety.

Thanks for the feedback on the posting. Very strange about the photos, as I see them. Maybe I should just add a link to the photo album. I too have been going in for many years, actually since the first year it opened. I was a licensed guide in the 80s and 90s and took many clients in there. I also spent one summer in there as an AFR, so I agree that the usage has changed, both in terms of numbers and to some degree who is going in. It is still one of my favorite spots, especially since the float plane visits stopped and in the shoulder seasons. I hope we get a chance to meet sometime. Best wishes.

Photos look good now. All very familiar territory. The woods have cleaned themselves up a lot year by year since the major derecho of 15 July 1995. In a couple of weeks I shall see how well my student crew does bushwhack navigating their way to the Tri-County Marker as I follow in trail and take notes on their progress and mistakes to critique. No GPS allowed! Then an easier exercise to pick their most efficient path to the top of GP Mtn and the ice caves.

Last edited:
TB
Glad you added the link to your trip photos. I enjoyed them a lot. Your hammock setup certainly got you the view. Is the blue item fastened to the underside of your RidgeRunner an underquilt protector?

Tony

TB
Glad you added the link to your trip photos. I enjoyed them a lot. Your hammock setup certainly got you the view. Is the blue item fastened to the underside of your RidgeRunner an underquilt protector?

Tony
Thanks Tony. Yes, that's the UQP from 2QZQ. The UQ is a AHE Ridge Creek XL. The two work nicely together.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yup 18 was my base for a three day solo one cold May about ten years ago.. I have only been back once .. Did the Lila to Lows traverse and back. That was in June IIRC.. After that I find it too crowded till Sept.. It is a nice area for hiking too ...something I have not done.

I like 18 a lot, although it can get wind blown. I have been there when some wicked thunderstorms roll down the lake, which is an experience. The same holds true for site 21, which I also like. Back in the early 90s, when I was the AFR there, it would really empty out by mid-week; not so much now, but I think it is still enjoyable then, even in summer.

Thanks for the pics... I spent a lot of time in that area as a kid... Sabattis Scout Camp was kind of my intro to canoeing/kayaking. We also did family fishing trips to the Five Ponds Wilderness... nice place. I agree it's best in April or after Labor Day. Sites 19, 20, 21, and 22 have been my favorite sites to base from when I could. Also spent some time with my daughter and wife (2 separate trips) at 8 and 9, back along the Flow, and one time I spent a few days just at Hitchens because it was empty and I was feeling weak. Turned out to be a great trip despite not doing a lot of miles. One thing I never figured out was how there could always be a headwind in both directions, coming and going.

Nice report - looking to head up that way this summer. I'm curious about your deck cover...is that custom? Do you have a source? But at the same time, I'm also curious why it was necessary...I didn't think this stretch had much white water, so was it for weather?

Hi WinterWarlock. Thanks very much. I had the cover made back on the late 80s because at the time I was doing a lot of big lakes in Quebec and Ontario. I used it to cut down on the effect of wind on the boat and it keeps the rain out. Now I pretty much only use it when there's heavy rain, which I had the entire time on the trip out. The cover was made by Cooke Custom Sewing. At that time, I stored the canoe at a marina in Long Lake (rather than haul it back and forth from Long Island); there was an employee there who measured the boat (I think he actually made a template) and sent it to CCS. They sent the cover to him and then he installed the snaps. The cover is great; it can be opened in srctions, has a spray skirt, D-rings for a map case and a Velcro strap and pocket to secure a paddle when I need to free up my hands. Over the years it has been a great asset in certain conditions.

The photo reminds me of a trip there on Veteran's Day weekend many years ago when I was camped on Grass Pond and awoke to snow. It was a memorable paddle out. That was one time I had the cover on.

I was in at Grass Pond before the snow my last. When I woke up there was a couple inches on the ground. It snowed heavy on the way out and the lake was really whipped up. I actually had to carry into a couple of the bays on the north shore to avoid the worst of it. I'll have to look through my 35mm slides to see if I have any shots.

I was in at Grass Pond before the snow my last. When I woke up there was a couple inches on the ground. It snowed heavy on the way out and the lake was really whipped up. I actually had to carry into a couple of the bays on the north shore to avoid the worst of it. I'll have to look through my 35mm slides to see if I have any shots.

If you could find them that would be pretty cool to have a look at!

Back