• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Tandem Build - Des Moines

Thanks for that Alan! Plus I really like your catching tray for the bead and cove set up, think I might try something similar this time. Work has kept me out of the game, although my stems are glued and planed down, ready to go, I just have to get some wood this weekend.

Gotta love those Erwin clamps. I see you have plenty of them. When I get all clampified I'm usually one short.

Clamps are a good Christmas gift for that hard to buy for person on your list. I'm thinking about getting my wife some. I have just the place for her to store them.

I used to do the same thing for women I dated and I'd always package them in a nice wooden box I'd made. But I quit because something just didn't sound right about it. After we'd break up they'd complain to everyone that after dating me for two years all they ended up with was a case of clamps.

Alan

Alan, do you plane both surfaces of the strips before you router the cove and bead?

When the cedar boards were still intact I planed both sides in order to get it down to a consistent 3/4". But the sides, after going through the bandsaw, are left rough. I don't think the slight thickness variation will be a problem. It's easy to spot the really bad pieces when running them all through the router so those were tossed out. I didn't do that on my last build and had some really bad variation. It still came out fine though, just more sanding required.

The rough sides of the strip actually help when sanding by letting you see at a glance any areas that haven't been sanded fair. If you still see rough wood you still need to sand.

Alan

Thanks for the detailed description and photos of your set up. It really helps me understand what's going on.

Slow at work today so I got home early, cleaned up shop, and started stripping. All my cedar is fairly dark. There's a mahogany accent strip in there but it doesn't really stand out. I'm hoping it will once it's sanded and fiberglassed. I've been planning to do cherry for the gunwales and thwarts but since it might be a bit on the dark side I'm thinking about ash instead for some contrast. I'll see what it looks like after fiberglass and decide.

Was a bit of a slow start figuring out the placement of the second strip and getting both sides to match but smooth sailing after that. So far it's stripping very easy. Nice not having to deal with big tumblehome.

20141209_001 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Alan

This week has been a good example to illustrate how I get my boats done so quickly. Tomorrow a rare thing happens. The outside world intrudes on my little bubble world as a friend is coming down for a visit and we're going to a play of a mutual friends. I've been putting off cleaning house for far too long so now I'll need to do it before my friend arrives. I've had all week but other things (boat) have kept me occupied. We've been slow at work this week so today I took off at noon so I could run some errands and get started on the house.

Ate lunch and meandered into the shop just to have a look. Well, maybe I could work on the boat for just an hour or so and then clean house.......4+ hours later I finally pulled myself away. Now I'll eat supper and start on the house.....maybe. So it's not like I manage to make them in half the hours everyone else does, it's just that they take up all my hours until they're done

The holes are shrinking but so is my supply of strips. Which will disappear first!?

20141211_001 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20141211_002 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Alan

Looks really good Alan...and different from your last couple of builds. You have some very nice material there.
Curious though...you seem to build stemless hulls. Is there a reason for that? Did you get mugged by a stem when you were younger, and now despise them???
I think balance is the key to life. We all get carried away at times. The things we are passionate about drive us, but in the end, you still have to come up for air once in a while. I'm not telling you what to do. Only you can do that. Just my perspective

Well done so far.

Alan,

Not much left to go, huh?
I find it fascinating to see how everyone builds, as many techniques as there are personalities. No right, no wrong, just differing methods.
Did you alternate the stem strips on your other builds? I don't remember noticing. The triple strip keel line will look nice. I've seen some builds where the bottom strips alternately fit just past the keel line, that particular method looks cumbersome to me, but again...whatever suits the builder.

As far as time to build, you do seem to zip right along. Do you keep a tally of your hours? You said you were a mechanic (flat rate, I'll guess), so I would think you know exactly how many hours you spend avoiding house cleaning ;);)
Also, it seems that you are not a skier, and you're not afflicted with SSS (Sports Spectator Syndrome), so what else is there to do?

I think the reason I build stemless is because that's how I did my first one so that's what I know. Easy to just keep doing the same thing. I think I'll try at least inner stems on my next build though. Speaking of different build methods and fitting the bottom strips I've been thinking I should try something different there too just to see if there's something I like better. My first couple builds I did the alternating strips meeting at the keel. The last couple I've run the straight keel strips. It's kind of tough to get them right at the final form on each side since it's a V shape but once they're on the rest of the stripping is pretty easy. Between the straight keel strips and the shoes that will be added to the stems later it eliminates twisting of strips, everything lays pretty flat so it's easy to fit. I think it makes a pleasing pattern this way too. I've got a couple Mahogany strips that will be added somewhere on the bottom yet.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the method of letting the strips run wild past the keel line on one side and then cutting them down the center, leaving you with only one side to fit in place. Seems like that might work well. Maybe next build, with inner stems and no shoes.

Did you alternate the stem strips on your other builds?

Yes, I've always alternated the stem strips, except when I forget. I don't know that it makes a big difference. That's what I read when I did my first one so that's what I've done since.

This is the first build where I've kept track of hours. I'm very interested to see what I come up with.

I think balance is the key to life. We all get carried away at times. The things we are passionate about drive us, but in the end, you still have to come up for air once in a while. I'm not telling you what to do. Only you can do that. Just my perspective

Good advice and I wish I could take it but up to this point in my life I haven't found a way to control that. All my life I've been all or nothing and it hasn't been until the last 5 or so years that I've actually realized it, so at least I can see it coming now. In the two or three weeks between finishing my last build and starting this one I was at loose ends. I sat around not doing much of anything productive or active. I've certainly got other projects that I can do but I just don't have the drive to do them, I'm waiting for that bug to come back around to finish them. I'm just happy to be focused on something now or else I'd be going crazy and scouring real estate listings for cheap land in SE Arizona and planning a January escape to a warmer climate....which is one of the things I found myself doing between builds. ;)

Someday I'll burn out on this and move onto something new. Maybe in a few months and maybe in a few years. I never know but I've got to strike while the iron's hot. It's what I do. :)

Alan

I like some of your techniques. I am able to see value and possibilities in new ideas and thinking outside the box. Maybe its the mechanic thing...there have been so many innovations in our world the past 20 years. I think the solid block idea in the bow is a winner, much like a super stem. And not all makers used hardwoods for stems...Morris for example used cedar. I myself like to use laminate when I can. Much easier to bend.

I also like the idea of variable thicknesses of glass, using lighter weights on the upper so you can use heavier on the bottom where it counts. Very clever, I may steal this idea from you...lol. We used to have an older Jensen in duralite that was a very thin layer of some sort of glass that was terribly prone to cracking and such. We performed many a field repair on that boat and it was never that much of an issue.

Do I like the staples? Nahhh they are ugly, but if you are painting the outside then so what. I have a beautiful stripper that is a work of art. Great boat. Hate to use it anymore...I have damage from the last time I was out. I need a beater boat that I can make a new one every couple of years if needed.I see it as the Pontiac Sunfire of canoes. Not great cars but everybody has one at one time and they are a good backup cuz they are cheap.

We already have a boathouse full of beautiful classics that never see the water. I love them. But I like to paddle too and I need a canoe that is what I need and is not going to break the bank to build it.

Today was the last of the stripping and the stem shoes are set in place with the glue drying as we speak. After taking these pics I pulled a little over half the staples. Feels great to finally run my hand over the hull.

And I had enough strips after all! I've got one full length strip left and a handful of partials. But to be truthful I did stop part way through and rip a couple strips of mahogany as I needed more for the pattern I wanted on the bottom of the hull. It would have been really close if I hadn't. Probably wouldn't have made it.

I added up my hours and I'm at 41. I began counting when I started drawing out the forms so that's everything up until now including ripping and milling the strips. Also includes machine setup and cleanup after making big messes.

Next time you see the boat it will be sanded smooth and ready for fiberglass.

20141214_001 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20141214_002 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20141214_003 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Alan

That looks great Alan. I like the pattern you've laid the strips out in.

I'm looking forward to seeing her smooth and wetted out.

Pretty much done with sanding. Will go over it with a fine toothed comb one more time tomorrow for the last touch up and I'll give the stems their final shape too. I think they're about right on but I like to get them close at the end of the evening and then sleep on it and look at them with fresh eyes the next day before giving them the final shape. With the shoes not only do you have to worry about the shape of the stem as seen from the side but also the shape the water will see as it flows across the hull. I use a mix of plane, belt sander, orbital sander, block of wood with sandpaper stapled to it, and bare sandpaper in my hand; pretty much in that order. A spokeshave would probably be ideal but I don't have one and keep forgetting to get one.

It looks a little "stripey" in some of the pics. I hope it looks ok when finished and that I didn't out fancy myself trying to make it look nice. There wasn't much variation in the cedar I had so I tried to make as much use of the colors as I could. I'm curious to see how the mahogany looks after fiberglassing.

20141216_004 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20141216_002 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20141216_003 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Alan

Hey, I think I like that style of bottom stripping...Mind if I "flatter" you on my next build? That bottom has a really nice look to it.
Did you laminate those shoes this time? They look different than your other builds.

Fiberglass this afternoon. First fill coat this evening. One more in the morning while the epoxy is still green and then all I can do is wait for it to setup.

I used 6oz. on the bottom, up to the waterline, and then 4oz. over that with an extra layer of 6oz. at the stems. I'll do the same on the inside, except for the extra stem reinforcement. It's heavier than I'd build it for myself but when you don't know who's going to end up with the boat and how they're going to treat it you worry a bit more....

20141219_001 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

20141219_002 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Stripperguy - yes, I usually laminate my little shoes. Sometimes a pieces of 2x cedar is tall enough to fill the hole but it's usually not wide enough where it meets the main hull. So I need to start out with a piece of 1x6 cedar for width and then build up from there. This time I needed just a little extra height in the bow and stern and I just happened to have some skinny pieces of maple and ash that fit the bill. After final shaping there's just a little pyramid of maple left in the bow and a nice chunk of ash in the stern.

Alan

You do very nice work Alan. Thank you for posting. I always enjoy your builds.

Jason

Thanks! I'm happy to share. I've always enjoyed watching other people's projects come together so it's nice to share my own. Not only that but it makes me stop and think about what I'm doing and I get lots of good feedback too.

Alan

Look'n great Alan. Maybe you could save your scraps and build us some wood strip furniture to sit on while we watch you work. It wood only take you a couple of minutes. Dave

Back