• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

St Regis advice

Reaction score
Hey fellow paddlers,

We are from the Midwest and are looking at expanding our canoe camping resume with a summer trip to the st Regis canoe area this year when our schedules allow. I have questions for the locals about the campsites: with all sites being first come, have you ever found yourself without a site available? I’m aware it might not always be the ideal place or maybe not even your 2nd choice, but I would be nervous about getting out into the wilderness and not finding any open sites at all. We had a similar experience in the BWCA last summer and paddled most of the day just to find an open camp site.
Question 2: is it worth a thousand mile drive? We’ve been all over the north woods in Wisconsin and boundary waters and are fortunate enough to live near world class canoe camping opportunities but we are wanting to try something new and different and haven’t spent much time in the east. So is it worth it, or do you have other recommendations that would be better?

Thanks

I lived in Chicago area and went to BWCA or Quetico each year. Moved to near Adirondacks for retirement. I have canoed some, not St Regis yet, but not at all the same. Entirely different. Much more streams than lakes. Longer portages - or carrys as called here. Tables, lean-tos, outhouses common. And hard to go too far without encountering civilization. I think I could traverse the St. Regis Canoe Wilderness in a day, 2 at most.

That said there are a lot of places to paddle and things to see. I like the Osewegatchie in Five Ponds Wilderness. Little Tupper is pleasant. And you might look at a section of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail - Old Forge NY to Fort Kent Maine.

So, may be to your liking.

I think Bill pretty much nailed it - I lived in the Midwest so BW and Quetico were the standard fare. Moved to NY 25 years ago, and the ADK's are nice, just a much smaller scale. If I were to have the option of doing either and the logistics were the same I would select BW.

Never had an issue getting a site here, just a bit more paddling is all that's required, but I have had to push late at BW as you described. I would also go late in the year at the BW's. No bugs, fewer people.

Since I live in NY I had to get creative. You mentioned summer, but I can avoid people for an entire week by going early. Head out before blackfly season and you can have a lake to yourself. A touch cool, but not bad. That's how I finally bagged many popular sites that I could never get. During blackfly season you can do the same, just get a No Bug Zone. Fishing is typically great then.

Just throwing it out there, but you could go and circumnavigate Isle Royale - jut throw your boat on the boat. Many parks around Lake Superior, like Voyageurs. Jump on a train and go to Wabakimi or head up to Woodland Caribou.

Knew some guys that used to take the Algoma Snow Train and it would drop them off on a lake they liked and picked them up on the way back.

Not dissing my local area - love the ADK's and spend ton's of time there, but since you know the BW it's a bit of a letdown when you get here.

But for having to "make do", the ADK's are a pretty good option to have.

Good luck!

Hey fellow paddlers,

We are from the Midwest and are looking at expanding our canoe camping resume with a summer trip to the st Regis canoe area this year when our schedules allow. I have questions for the locals about the campsites: with all sites being first come, have you ever found yourself without a site available? I’m aware it might not always be the ideal place or maybe not even your 2nd choice, but I would be nervous about getting out into the wilderness and not finding any open sites at all. We had a similar experience in the BWCA last summer and paddled most of the day just to find an open camp site.
Question 2: is it worth a thousand mile drive? We’ve been all over the north woods in Wisconsin and boundary waters and are fortunate enough to live near world class canoe camping opportunities but we are wanting to try something new and different and haven’t spent much time in the east. So is it worth it, or do you have other recommendations that would be better?

Thanksi

Danielsx, welcome to site membership!

Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

The St. Regis area is one of the most popular in the Adirondacks, but there are many other places that are less populated. You stand a better chance of getting a good campsite on Monday-Thursday. The Dacks have (are) mountains, which the BWCA doesn't. The best guidebook and maps are those by Dave Cilley, which show all campsites:

If you have the time, you could "paddle" your way to the Adirondacks. I'd love again to go up through SS Marie into Canada, paddle around the Georgian Bay area, then Algonquin Park, and finally dropping down into the Adirondacks via Ogdensburg and Canton (the home of Henry Rushton). Wonderful canoeing all.

I’m from the Adirondacks and will say it’s hard to find real wilderness. On the flip side, I’ve never been to the Boundary Waters but that sounds like a total zoo to me. In both cases, the further you carry, the quieter it will be, though, the St. Regis isn’t a huge area. It is probably pretty unique, though. It has a certain feel, but you’ll be rubbing shoulders with civilization within a couple days. I’ve never had an issue finding a site in the St. Regis, but it could happen in peak season. My friend recently asked if I wanted to do a trip to BWCA and I thought the same thing as I would if I was standing in Minnesota, “why not head north?” La Verendrye is closer and quieter, though a different feel than SRCA for sure.

Attachments

• 20231010-IMG_7494_Original.jpeg
    20231010-IMG_7494_Original.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231009-PA090025_Original.jpeg
    20231009-PA090025_Original.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 8
In most primitive and wilderness designated state land areas outside of the high peaks region (where you would likely not be canoeing anyway), you are free to primitive camp if you set up your site at least 150 feet from any body of water, trail, road, or leanto and observe leave no trace principles. Here are some of the rules/regulations web pages that apply:

For detailed answers to any question, contact a regional forest ranger:

I think Bill pretty much nailed it - I lived in the Midwest so BW and Quetico were the standard fare. Moved to NY 25 years ago, and the ADK's are nice, just a much smaller scale. If I were to have the option of doing either and the logistics were the same I would select BW.

Never had an issue getting a site here, just a bit more paddling is all that's required, but I have had to push late at BW as you described. I would also go late in the year at the BW's. No bugs, fewer people.

Since I live in NY I had to get creative. You mentioned summer, but I can avoid people for an entire week by going early. Head out before blackfly season and you can have a lake to yourself. A touch cool, but not bad. That's how I finally bagged many popular sites that I could never get. During blackfly season you can do the same, just get a No Bug Zone. Fishing is typically great then.

Just throwing it out there, but you could go and circumnavigate Isle Royale - jut throw your boat on the boat. Many parks around Lake Superior, like Voyageurs. Jump on a train and go to Wabakimi or head up to Woodland Caribou.

Knew some guys that used to take the Algoma Snow Train and it would drop them off on a lake they liked and picked them up on the way back.

Not dissing my local area - love the ADK's and spend ton's of time there, but since you know the BW it's a bit of a letdown when you get here.

But for having to "make do", the ADK's are a pretty good option to have.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I hadn’t considered that you could take a canoe on a train and that part of Ontario is about as wild as the land can get in 2024 and half the drive for me at roughly 500 miles. Sounds like if you’re in the area, st Regis would be worth checking out but not quite destination worthy. I wonder if we fly to east coast and rent kayaks for a day trip if that would make more sense.

In most primitive and wilderness designated state land areas outside of the high peaks region (where you would likely not be canoeing anyway), you are free to primitive camp if you set up your site at least 150 feet from any body of water, trail, road, or leanto and observe leave no trace principles. Here are some of the rules/regulations web pages that apply:

For detailed answers to any question, contact a regional forest ranger:
That’s awesome information. I hadn’t considered you could camp off site in that area since a lot of our better canoe areas are off limits to wild camping and most of our state land that is good for wilderness camping is terrible for canoeing.

Not sure where you have paddled but for my money, it would be hard to beat Quetico if you like wilderness and near solitude. Like BWCA but a tenth or less of people in same area. Primitive camping but no real need to not use existing sites. Only downside is the permit price.

Been a long time since I've been up to BW/Quetico, but we had light traffic on BW at the end of Sept, but we didn't see anyone in Quetico. I know you were thinking summer trip.

D, this might be something you have done, but about 35 years ago I had everything mapped out to do the Frost River in the BWCA. Trip never occurred but thought I might try it when I get back to Michigan. As I recall it wasn't heavily travelled back then. Could be an expressway today.

Bill Conner, or anyone else, am I remembering the Frost River correctly as being pretty remote? My BW books are still in a box somewhere.

I haven't done the Frost River.

Solitude and wilderness are relative. In the Daks it's hard to travel but a few days without seeing civilization - buildings, vehicles, etc. - and you'll probably see people or lots of people at least Labor Day to Memorial Day. (I did the Osawegatchie fro inlet towards High Falls in November and no one!) In the BWCA you can go a month or more and not see civilization, but you will see a few other people in most areas, at least in season. Why I love late September and October there - possibly no one. Quetico a tenth of the people of BWCA. Really want to get away? Wabakimi or Opasquia PP.

I think if coming east from Midwest for paddling, I'd spend another day and head to northern Maine. I believe - based on one one week trip - fewer people and more wilderness.

Frost has a reputation for being lightly traveled. I believe part of that is that water levels decline during the summer and the beaver dams are harder to traverse. I did the Frost in 2021 during my Round Lake loop trip and I saw people but fewer than on the last 1/2 of the trip.

I haven't been to the ADKs yet but I suppose it depends upon your tripping goals... if you want to avoid people, I'd head North instead of East. If you want to experience an area where you can compare & contrast to the BWCA, I'd go for it and give the ADKs a whirl (another great contrast would be to paddle the Everglades or Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge).

I have paddled multiple trips in boundary waters and the Adirondacks. Love them both!

We paddled through St. Regis as part of a longer trip. Lovely. It was the portions of our trip outside of the Regis area that wasn’t necessarily wilderness. Still excellent paddling and camping. However, I think the jewel is the Whitney wilderness loop. We spent a week doing this. Longer portages, excellent fishing, few people. I love boundary waters, but the Adirondacks adds mountain views and simpler, permit free access. Go in September and have it to yourself. Also lots of history and side hiking opportunities.

There are multiple Whitney wilderness loop trip reports on this site.

Last edited:
Solitude in the Adirondacks is where you make it. Avoid the well written about popular routes, take side treks to small ponds with a lightweight pack canoe, and you can easily spend a week without seeing a soul, maybe just with very old evidence of earlier days of 19th century wilderness guides and long gone logging operations. Beginning at Stillwater Reservoir, head north into the untrailed remote smaller water bodies of the Five Ponds or Pepperbox Wilderness, or south into the Pigeon Lake Wilderness or Ha-De-ron-Dah Wildrness areas. Of course detailed off trail advance trip planning and good navigation skills experience are necessarily a big part of the adventure. Don't overlook the same kinds of remoteness in designated wild forest areas, Black River, Moose River Plains, Watson's East Triangle, Aldrich Pond, Independence River, which can be just as wild as any of the designated Wildrness areas.

Last edited:
Exactly-solitude is where you make it. Many rivers have less traveled branches, and the time of year can make a difference, though we’ve been to places on holiday weekends seeing nary a soul

Our group paddles the adks ever spring before bug season and every early october since we live near this area and like to avoid the summer crowds. We do one ten night paddle trip ever august or september in the bwca/wabakimi/la verendrye/wc. The adks are not as remote as most spots in canada. If i were to drive that far I would go to canada. Buuut we do love the bwca and may go back again this year. You cannot beat the walleye/northern fishing in canada though.

Our group paddles the adks ever spring before bug season and every early october

Alien Legs, a belated welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Back