• Happy Insect Repellant Awareness Day! 🚫🦟🐜🪲🕷️👎🏻

Show me your rack :)

Reaction score
16935447399_b1617d9e33_n.jpg

This is my current setup, works well but due to it's size and weight it's not easily removed and stored when not in use. I break it down when I store it so it's not in the way.
I'd like to use a setup that incorporates the pocket holes instead, any suggestions?

I made a ladder rack that fits in the stake pockets of my pickup out of rectangular and square steel tubing. I used 1-1/2" X 2" tubing for the verticals and 2" square tubing for the crossbars. The rectangular tubing is a very snug fit in my stake pockets and the frame had to be driven into the front pockets. I used light angle iron to tie the frames together at the top and angle clips to hold the verticals to the bed. Other than the welds on the crossbars, the whole thing is held together with sheet metal screws. I don't use any diagonal braces, but could put a pair from the front frame to the bed rails. I'd us 3/4" thinwall conduit with the ends smashed flat and bent to fit the frame, a sheet metal screw in each end. If you don't want to put screws through the bed, you could use C-clamps to hold the frame down. Using the stake pockets, it may not be absolutely necessary to fasten the frame to the bed, but it gives me a bit of extra comfort.

No Title

I have NO idea why it loaded upside down

Attachments

• photo2066.jpg
    photo2066.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image_2066.jpg
    image_2066.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image_2066.jpg
    image_2066.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 0
This is not mine but Conk's. Hope he doesn't mind. DIY. All wood. Has adjustable gunwale blocks that are inside the hull. Very impressive.

This was from the movie, "The Attack of the White SRT's on the Jersey Devil". The mutant boat is mine.
Three%2520SRT%2527s%2520on%2520Conk%2527s%2520Truck.JPG

No Title

yakima...

very easy-on/easy off

Attachments

• photo2080.jpg
    photo2080.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2081.jpg
    photo2081.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 0
Sorry about the bikes, and the grill, but this is my favorite rack ! I can put this on a full size truck, simply by changing the 2x4s at the top.
IMG_0546_zpsd2qoilu0.jpg

It's easy to remove,!
Jim

My first p/u was an Isuzu... that is what I move to the Yukon from Quebec with!!

It's a 98, bought it new. It's been the wife's until she wrecked it two years ago, now it's got S-10 front body parts.
It's mine now, and hauls my canoes faithfully !

Jim

Sorry for the side track !

Upon closer inspection it looks an awful lot like a Sonoma. That is less unusual since we know GM owns part of Suzuki and Toyota.

Odd, an Isuzu pick up truck, ain't never seen one of those before.

If you've seen a Chevy LUV, you've seen an Isuzu pickup.

Nothing special about my rack. Yakima bars with load stops. The load stops are better and more versatile than their gunwale brackets.

Conk! Is there some advantage to having the brackets inside the gunwales? Should I tturn mine around?

Is there some advantage to having the brackets inside the gunwales? Should I tturn mine around?

I do that sometimes when I need to rack two tandems and need every inch of crossbar space. That way the load stops do not take up any bar space.

We have Yakima and Thule gunwale brackets and Thule Load Stops. They are all at least 3” wide. Paired on the outwales of each canoe and I’ve lost 12 inches of crossbar.

In that regard the commercial products that can be easily removed from the crossbars and reversed are advantageous. And if I have only one boat on the racks I don’t need to have a second set of brackets attached (although I carry them, and some spare rack parts, in the truck – never know when I might find a used boat to buy, or need to make some rack repair).

Still, if I have room on the crossbars I’d rather have them on the outside, where it is easier to reach the tightening knob on each of the outboard brackets/stops and adjust them when taking the canoes on or off.

Plus having the belly line ropes hooked to or through brackets helps keep them from slipping on the bar.

EDIT- That is applicable to commercial rack products. Conk is about as clever as it comes with custom fabrication, and I suspect his DIY design supersedes what Yakima or Thule offers.

Last edited:
Conk! Is there some advantage to having the brackets inside the gunwales? Should I tturn mine around?

I think Mike summed up any advantages... saving bar space and less interference with straps. A disadvantage to having them inside might the potential interference with a thwart. Mike failed to mention that I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to racking a canoe. I guess I just like the looks of having them on the inside, so that's the way I fly. My brackets can be flipped either way and I have been known to mitigate lateral movement with gunwale retention stops on the outside.

image_2155.jpg Yakima on the cab, home made pivoting rack on the back in the hitch receiver. I made it to clear the tail gate so I could open and close it. To load you portage the canoe to the back of the truck and set it on the rack and strap it. Then you pick up the free end and walk it to the front of the truck and set it on the Yakima rack. lock the pivot and finish strapping down. I'm almost always solo and I have back issues but I can manage one end of the canoe at a time. Dave

I've never thought about a pivot on the back ! I like it !
I'm getting older too !
Thanks Dave !

Jim

Last edited:
Back