• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Posting Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP, for the effort it takes to craft a well-written trip report with photos a blog might be the answer.

I do not know, but a blog site might allow for large screen display for paddling club talks and presentations, the digital age version of slide shows.

Mike,

I have thought about a blog, but haven't pursued it, thinking it might be too much trouble. And, to be honest, I prefer the direct postings on this site, as opposed to linking to an external blog or website. I tend not to click on them, at least not immediately. I don't know why. There is no real valid reason.

Also, I prefer for people to see my postings directly. That way they can comment for all to see. It gets a lot of interaction going. I think comments on a personal blog would not be nearly as widely visible and "now" as comments on the canoetrippping site.

My repostings of images are going well. Dease is done. Yukon is done. Coppermine is done. Nahanni is nearly done. South Saskatchewan is next. I am updating through the editing mode. Put picture in. Delete the square with the question mark. Tidy up some of the grammar. So the TRs are not getting longer, and don't trigger a new post.

I don't know if anyone will ever come across my resurrected TRs again. But I feel better not having half a TR on the site. Besides, anytime I'm feeling nostalgic, I can access my TR and re-live the adventure!

One thing about TRs, There are 20 pages that are stored on this site, for each category.

Every time a something like this, in General Discussion, or another category is posted, it displaces a posting at the bottom of page 20, of that category.

I've noticed in Paddlecraft Construction category, many postings have been lost.

It would be a real shame to lose these Great TR s that Paddling Pitt has done such a great job on !!

Something to consider !

Jim

One thing about TRs, There are 20 pages that are stored on this site, for each category.

Every time a something like this, in General Discussion, or another category is posted, it displaces a posting at the bottom of page 20, of that category.

I've noticed in Paddlecraft Construction category, many postings have been lost.

It would be a real shame to lose these Great TR s that Paddling Pitt has done such a great job on !!

Something to consider !

Jim

Are they really gone, or just not browsable? If I search for old trip reports I get e.g., this one:
http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...-trip-reports/328-zec-kipawa-southwest-quebec
which hasn't been commented on since 2013 and has fallen off of the first 20 pages.

[That TR was well before I joined this site ... yet another place I'd love to visit.]

Are they really gone, or just not browsable? If I search for old trip reports I get e.g., this one:
http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...uthwest-quebec
which hasn't been commented on since 2013 and has fallen off of the first 20 pages.

[That TR was well before I joined this site ... yet another place I'd love to visit.]

Good to know !

So if I have a specific question, it might take me back beyond the last 20 pages ?

I'll have to explore that !

Thanks

Jim

Good to know !

So if I have a specific question, it might take me back beyond the last 20 pages ?

I'll have to explore that !

Thanks

Jim

I wonder if the 20 page limit is just some kind of default setting in the site software that can be changed to 50 or 100? It would be nice to be able to browse the old stuff. Lots of times i dont know im looking for something until i see it, if that makes any sense. Maybe that could be requested the next time there's an update to the site.

Mark.

I wasn’t really aware of the 20-page limit, even though it is so very obvious once pointed out to me. I suppose that once a posting gets down that far, people aren’t going to stumble across it anyway. Like most people, I tend to click on today’s postings. Even so, it’s too bad that they eventually drop out of sight. My oldest TR is now on page 7. The digital cliff approaches.

I wasn’t really aware of the 20-page limit, even though it is so very obvious once pointed out to me. I suppose that once a posting gets down that far, people aren’t going to stumble across it anyway. Like most people, I tend to click on today’s postings. Even so, it’s too bad that they eventually drop out of sight. My oldest TR is now on page 7. The digital cliff approaches.

You can bring it to the front, by posting a comment on it !

Jim

You can bring it to the front, by posting a comment on it !

Jim

I know, Jim. But that seems misleading to me. People would click on the post, thinking there’s something new, only to discover that it’s just me trying to keep my stuff at the forefront. The ensuing combat among all of us wanting to keep our stuff at the forefront could be very disruptive!

I wonder if the 20 page limit is just some kind of default setting in the site software that can be changed to 50 or 100? It would be nice to be able to browse the old stuff.

The old threads are being stored somewhere... searching on "ranger" bring back posts made in 2011. The thread itself is also clickable for anybody wanting to read through it all, so you might be able to find an old thread archived by recalling the topic.

And the photos that were posted back then are also visible, must have been stored in whatever the server was for canoetripping at the time (seems to be way cooler to say "in The Cloud" these days, instead of server farms)..

Here's Mick... hey, it\'s Sunday morning, way too quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoUa4dIcO50

I know, Jim. But that seems misleading to me. People would click on the post, thinking there’s something new, only to discover that it’s just me trying to keep my stuff at the forefront. The ensuing combat among all of us wanting to keep our stuff at the forefront could be very disruptive!

It can be disruptive and misleading. Or even nefarious.

On other boards where older messages eventually vanish posters have done just that, bumped their own posts back to the head of the line, causing more recent posts to appear less “fresh”. That just seems like bad form on a community forum.

Worse yet posters can bury a newer post they don’t like under an avalanche of “Great post” or “Here’s another photo” comments, refreshing year’s old stuff to deliberately push down a post in an attempt to hide it from view.

Again, that activity seems bad form, and I would expect better from most posters on Canoe Tripping.

The Trip Reports section here on CT has some wonderful trip reports that will soon fall off page 20. When I try to search for reports past page 20 I can only get a link if I remember most of the specific title.

When I click on the trip report Goonstroke linked to, ZEC Kipawa, southwest Quebec, I see only this message - “Invalid value for parameter userid in method vB_Api_User:fetchProfileInfo”. That may be my devices (I tried it on both an old desktop and a new Chromebook).

Looking on both Trip Report fora pages 18, 19, 20 there are some well documented and photographed reports that would be valuable to folks looking for information on a trip they are planning or considering.

I believe on other sites there have been archived sections and this is something I can look into to see about doablility and cost. I agree it would be a benefit to have many TR's and builds posted into a place on the board where they would live vs scrolling off. I will approach the IT guy to see if this an option, the cost in time to set up on his end and how info could be transferred there. Nothing is ever as easy as one thinks it should be and I'm guessing in this case there might be a snag or two but it is worth me looking into. Don't hold your breath waiting for an immediate action, I also have a lot of things going on but will put it on the list of things to do.

dougd

I believe on other sites there have been archived sections and this is something I can look into to see about doablility and cost. I agree it would be a benefit to have many TR's and builds posted into a place on the board where they would live vs scrolling off. I will approach the IT guy to see if this an option, the cost in time to set up on his end and how info could be transferred there. Nothing is ever as easy as one thinks it should be and I'm guessing in this case there might be a snag or two but it is worth me looking into. Don't hold your breath waiting for an immediate action, I also have a lot of things going on but will put it on the list of things to do.

dougd

Might be an easy tweak......

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/v...the-number-of-pages-in-each-sub-forum-section

Well All, I am closing this thread for now and I have also deleted two of the posts. It's not something I want to do but feel it is necessary at this point in time.

dougd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back