• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Posting Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get full size images to upload to your post, click on the image icon on the bar just above where you are typing text, not the camera icon. It's to the right of font size, and text formatting icons. A window pops up. At the top click on the upload tab. In the new window click on upload file, then find the file on your computer as you normally would and select. Next, you have to click "send file to server". After a couple seconds the origjjnal window pops up with a bunch of various options, but all you have to do is click ok, then the image appears as below. This image is now in your gallery and stored on this site. You can mess with the size once you see the image at the very bottom of the post, but it's a bit fiddly and you have to experiment with it.

Mark

For an example, Here's a picture of a wenonah voyager we picked up in Idaho yesterday. Pretty good shape, one repair only $300! The woman didn't know what she had, I didn't ask any questions about how she came to have it. Maybe I should have.

I followed your instructions, dogbrain, to post an image on my Mighty Dease River TR. It worked easily! Except that it also included a rectangle below the image the showed a smaller version as an attached file. Perhaps I did something wrong. I am going to try here to see if I can achieve the perfect result.

00Y0Y_hiNFttczCxJ_1200x900.jpg

I've never felt any of the online photo storage sites were a place to actually store my photos, at least not the originals. Those are all filed away and stored on my computer, by date with keywords, and what gets uploaded to Flickr are just the ones I want to share with others online. If they disappeared it would suck but all the originals would still be right where I left them.

Or pay $50 a year for an unlimited Flickr “Pro” account. Yeah, sure, ok, that’s more reasonable, ya got me; I’m not losing everything again. I am not convinced that yearly fee will not rise, or Flickr someday sell out and pull the plug.

I'm sure it will go up too but, in your favor, it was something like $25-30 for years and recently made the jump to $50. So hopefully it will be a while.

Alan

I don't understand why anyone would post ANYTHING to the ANYWHERE without retaining the original files (plus backup copies), this isn't the 80's (when I paid $3500 for a 10MB, yes megabyte! hdd).

Uploading to the "cloud", be it to your own hosted space or a third party host never was and never will be a secure method of permanent storage for "original" data.

It seems that I don't need a hosting site. I was using Flickr and google photos as a way to post on this website. Now that I can post directly from my own computer, I say, "Ta. Ta.

I have all my images, not only on my mac, but also on my external hard drive.

For an example, Here's a picture of a wenonah voyager we picked up in Idaho yesterday. Pretty good shape, one repair only $300! The woman didn't know what she had, I didn't ask any questions about how she came to have it. Maybe I should have.

Jeez Mark--I paid a lot more for my Voyager! It's the perfect boat for Quetico. Yer a bum.

I don't understand why anyone would post ANYTHING to the ANYWHERE without retaining the original files (plus backup copies), this isn't the 80's (when I paid $3500 for a 10MB, yes megabyte! hdd).

Uploading to the "cloud", be it to your own hosted space or a third party host never was and never will be a secure method of permanent storage for "original" data.

Hear ya. For tech observers of sufficient maturity a good mental exercise is to replace the word "cloud" with "time sharing", and then see if the service still sounds like a great idea. There's a reason we sought to liberate tech from the "glass house".

Click image for larger version  Name:	70562773_2450223088391683_8812799113549578240_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	694.1 KB ID:	99316Click image for larger version  Name:	70562773_2450223088391683_8812799113549578240_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	694.1 KB ID:	99313Click image for larger version  Name:	70562773_2450223088391683_8812799113549578240_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	694.1 KB ID:	99313
Wow, that's very cool, thanks Dogbrain, that gets rid of the middleman for me too. I'm going to have ot go through my photos and see if I can make a new trip report now! I tried three sizes here, small, medium and large in that order.

Last edited:
So Paddlinpitt, I removed the first image on the list, and that attached file image disappeared. Is that what you did?

Mem,

I don’t know what I did differently after my first attempt. I just proceeded more slowly and carefully. The attached file image was showing before I posted, but did not appear when I hit Post Reply.

This thread has quickly descended into the realm of IKEA instructions in poorly translated tiny verbiage Fastener A thread gap Part 2B. I pick up the paper, look at it pretending to appear enlightened, put it down and proceed more confused than ever before. But I'm glad somebody figured it out without any screws left over.

Last edited:
I don't know who got their act together, but I'm able to post from Photo bucket, my pics without going through resizing through their unreliable Editor.

IMG_3091_zpsxxev2kxv.jpg

I get a shareable link for the album. I am going to see if I can do the same for individual photos. If successful, I will post up the steps along with some photos.

Posting images has been frustratingly exciting for me. I recently lost all of the images on my Dease River, Yukon River, South Saskatchewan River and South Nahanni River trip reports. These images were all posted using google photos. I also lost some of the images in my Coppermine River trip report. Those were posted by google photos. The images posted by Flickr remained.

Thanks to dogbrain, I have re-posted all the images in the Dease River, Yukon River and Coppermine River. Most people have already seen the Yukon and Coppermine trip reports before the images disappeared. But who knows, there might be new members, or guests, who view these trip reports, and would be surprised/disappointed that the images weren’t there. It was not too much trouble to add them back following dogbrain’s instructions. I will be reinserting images for the South Nahanni and the South Saskatchewan over the next week or so.

i appreciate everyone’s support and encouragement.

Just a caution, once a trip report is old enough to reach page 20 there is no page 21, and no archive that I know of.

Bring posts from years past back to the top by bumping or adding something “new” seems awfully close to necroposting. I kinda wish I had done so with some of my old, photo-heavy trip reports, but it somehow didn’t seem kosher.

Bring posts from years past back to the top by bumping or adding something “new” seems awfully close to necroposting. I kinda wish I had done so with some of my old, photo-heavy trip reports, but it somehow didn’t seem kosher.

I agree completely, Mike. That's why I didn't bring the resurrected trip reports to the top of the "Leader Board." I thought it best to let people know in this particular thread. It just didn't seem right to me to post my way to the head of the line.

PaddlingPitt, I think that's really nice of you to replace the pics of your wonderful trip reports. Whatever happened to your original pictures is a total shame, and I can't speak for anyone else, but I appreciate your efforts to make things right.

Thank You

I tried replacing my pics in trip reports when photobucket went down, it proved to be to monumental. I applaud you PaddlingPitt for the huge effort, your fans are appreciative!

I tried replacing my pics in trip reports when photobucket went down, it proved to be to monumental. I applaud you PaddlingPitt for the huge effort, your fans are appreciative!

Moi aussi in that appreciation of effort.

Having been burned by two photo-hosting sites, Community Webshots and Photobucket, I have little faith that other hosting sites will not eventually follow suit. And yet continue to use one (Flickr).

I wonder if a Blog would be a safer bet? I am too much of a dinosaur to attempt a blog, and think I have freebie blog space on Google Blogger and Amazon Prime affiliates.

Lots of posters here simply link trips to their blog posts, which I think, so far, have remained viable with photos visible. Not sure which blog services they use or trust for future dependability.

PP, for the effort it takes to craft a well-written trip report with photos a blog might be the answer.

I do not know, but a blog site might allow for large screen display for paddling club talks and presentations, the digital age version of slide shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back