• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Photo of the day

gerrit,

BTW, it looks like your bow seat bracket has a loose screw.

Sure, spotted that too, raised the seat but didn't cut the bolts in case it didn't work...but replaced the vinyl cap at the end of the bolt to protect the paddler. Nice pic

gerrit,
Thanks for the explanations...it looks like you passed by 5 or 6 towns (is that the term?) along the way. In between the towns looks to be farmland, maybe.
Are there designated public lands that you camped on, or are Germans less concerned about private property than here in the states?
I'm always interested to learn of other cultures and countries...
BTW, My Darling Bride used to use that same technique when we paddled together in a tandem canoe.

gerrit,
Thanks for the explanations...it looks like you passed by 5 or 6 towns (is that the term?) along the way. In between the towns looks to be farmland, maybe.
Are there designated public lands that you camped on, or are Germans less concerned about private property than here in the states?
I'm always interested to learn of other cultures and countries...
BTW, My Darling Bride used to use that same technique when we paddled together in a tandem canoe.

Haha, yes, this "technique" seems to work well for bow paddlers! But from your pics I see you've learned from it and put your wife in her own boat :D My son will learn how to solo this weekend, we'll see if he hangs on to it.

Regarding camping: In Germany you're not allowed to just put your tent somewhere. I am not really into tripping (you my ask why I registered to this board then....) but the few times I put my tent up for a night, I was lucky. The farmers will get angry if you put your tent on farm land which has to be harvested, but if you just think a bit, it will be possible to find a nice place without getting into trouble. Also I have never been refused when I just asked the farmer, as I would not refuse someone who asks me to stay for a night on my ground.

We only had one incident with a hunter in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (that's were our "bigger" lakes are). He came up in the morning when we had breakfast. Our tent was already packed, though, but he told us that we are not allowed to stay there. Master of the woods, you know...
Way more annoying was a really bad gang of boars which visited us at night, by the way... :eek:

I think Germany is just too crowded for serious tripping - that's why I always went up to Sweden when I used to trip by motorbike. Hope to go up there with my canoe and family sometime.

Gerrit

P1010107.JPG

Last edited:
Gerrit, I would be really sad if I had forgotten my canoe, since I was in the middle of a 10 day trip... Not only I didn't forgot it, I had 3 of my canoes on that trip...

Odyssey, that is one of the paddle I made, one of my favorite style, my take on a Penobscot model. My wife decided to take from the rack before the trip cause she found her Black Cherry of the same style is to heavy. This one is made of Sitka Spruce, my wood of choice for paddle making. the red on the blade is Lockwood anilin water soluble dye. It also has a white ash spline in the tip to reinforce it! The blade has spar varnish and the rest is oiled! Oval shaft.... Not much else I can say... Just an other paddle that does the job. I'm working on modifying the way I make them, or should I say some of them to make them more durable but but keeping the same characteristic, light and "stiff"...

Here's a shot from our first day on Marshall Lake. I was fishing and tagging behind when a storm blew in. I went with the flow and enjoyed the free ride in, while others where setting up the tarp.
TR to follow

DSC01001.JPG

Seen that a lot around here, seems to be some people think it is fun to put old satellite dishes out on beaver lodges. It gets old fast.

On the Change Islands. Don't think it will get old. Population 300 accessible only by ferry.. People do tend to recycle old stuff for humour here.. It gives me a chuckle.

Haven't seen it at home.

Back