• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Need a desination somewhere in UP, WI, MN, Northern Lower Michigan

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a 4 day- 3 night trip Sept. 4th thru the 7th. Solo, or with others if I find others that want to go. The only thing is I just can't decide on where to go.

Getting a permit now for the BWCA is out of the question, every entry point is filled. I feel like Sylvania Wilderness will be extremely busy, as will Craig Lake State Park. Big Island Lake Wilderness just seems small and the fishing regulations don't really make me feel pumped on it. Indian River Trail seems short, Manistique River would only be a 3 day - 2 night.

Anyone in the Northern Midwest have any suggestions for a busy Labor Day Weekend Trip? I don't care if I see some people, but It'd be nice to not hunt for open campsites hours on end.

I have a Nova Craft Tripper 16 with very little Rocker, so Rivers with Class II rapids and under are preferred.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I pulled the trigger and got a campsite Thursday Night at Northland Outfitters on the Manistique. Going to do a 4 Night, 4 Day Trip Solo (Unless I find someone to go with) from Germfask to Manistique MI, about 65 miles of river and estimated 22 hours of paddling.

But if anyone has anything that could peak interest elsewhere I'd be down to hear it.

Last edited:
If its in range for you the Manistee River in northern lower Mi is a really nice paddle, all flat water. There are no designated sites on the section I typically paddle but it's mostly state land everywhere so you can pretty much camp where you like. Rick at Chippewa Landing can hook you up with spotting your car or taking you up River and you can paddle back to the landing.

Sylvannia Wilderness - for a short holiday weekend one may reserve sites to avoid getting there to find everything taken after the drive up, Especially since it's just the long weekend. If you had more time the BWCA would be ideal - I think it's the best paddling in the midwest of the US.

LIke I said permits in the BWCA were all taken, which was unfortunate.

Sylvania Wilderness seems like it would be crowded on a holiday weekend with weather like this. I was looking at an updated map a couple days ago too, and it looks like they've doubled up a lot of the campsites? making 1 campsite two campsites? have you been there since they made that change? doesn't seem like it'd be that enjoyable unless you knew the other group there...

Back