• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Jack's Special/ Chestnut Chum

Ha, since I'm building this one at the school, no beer will be involved.

I remember when I was back in University, I took psychology as an elective. One of the prof's told me that if you learned something when you were drunk, it was best to perform the task again when drunk, and that performance would go down as one approached sobriety.

I spent two hours the other day trying to figure out why the strong back was 17 feet long, and why the Chum extended past the ends of the strong back. I was so confused, I finally had to get the woodworking guy to give me a hand. He pointed out that 170 inches on the tape measure was not the same as 17 feet, that it was in fact 14'2".

I blame it on BLDCS (Bud Lite Deficiency Canoe Syndrome), which is a new category in the DSM 5, described as "a noticeable decrease in the ability to build canoes cause by the absence of the important brain synthesizing vitamins found in the elixir known as Bud Lite." Although I have always considered the DSM manuals to be a witches brew of phoney syndromes created by drug companies to sell drugs to the unhappy masses, I actually think they got this diagnosis correct.

Fortunately, I will be medicating tonight, so i should be temporarily smarter, and better looking, until tomorrow morning anyway.

You know, we could have discovered our niche market... finishing canoes others started that couldn't complete them.

re: post # 41
Good news people. This means the ports on the Marshal L loop aren't nearly as long as memequay thinks they are. We'd all better bring our fair share of Bud Lite just in case. And if it makes that smart and handsome man smarter and handsomer, well, that can't hurt either way. I'm gonna be packing his vegan "meds-elixir" in tall cans.

I got to thinking this morning about my northern friend Memaquay. The man is just too humble for his own good. He is a fountain of skills and knowledge but is too humble to blow his own horn so to speak. As this site has grown quite a bit in the last year I feel that many of the newcomers might not be aware of some of his skills so I decided to post up this video to give credit where credit was due. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZdidm3-_go

Last edited:
Ha ha, you a bad boy Rippy. Is this a way of telling me to get busy with the chum? Next week I'm hoping to get some work done. Our band has gone places since the wedding, our next gig is a New year's Eve Dance. Good times!

Huh? Did I post up the wrong video again. I'll have to check.

Oops, sorry, hey look at the bright side. You might be able to use it as a recruiting tool for the marshal lake trip.

Last edited:
When are you going to start stapling strips to that bad boy? Going to be natural or painted? If I did a Chum I would paint the outside Green like a WC and leave the inside natural.

No no no....you have to pigment the resin on the outside so that it looks like paint without all the extra weight of that paint...then it will be a righteously light boat.

What wood are you using for the stems? How thick are the laminations?

Alan

No no no....you have to pigment the resin on the outside so that it looks like paint without all the extra weight of that paint...then it will be a righteously light boat.

I guess I never thought about how much paint weighs. I always assumed that most of the weight was in the solvents that flash off. Is there a rough estimate of wet to dry weight for paint? Is the pigment you mention powder or liquid? So many questions this early in the morning. Too much coffee already? Dave

I've always been an innie and outie guy, they complete me, so to speak. They are quite light, because they are made out of cedar. Steaming and bending cedar is just about one of the funnest things to do on this miserable little planet. Sure beats having the christmas tree decoration argument with the wife. I don't get it how some women don't understand that no means no. When I say I don't want to decorate the tree, I really mean it!

I think this one is going to be au naturel, with no paint at all, although I do have a really authentic green marine paint. I guess I'll wait till I can get some cedar and see what it looks like.

I was trying to bend some strips around the business end yesterday, holy snapping turtles, it's quite a bend in those last few stations. I may have to cut three strips, 1/4 by 1/4 and laminate back together to make the bend. Or decrease the height of the stems. These burning decisions will keep me awake no doubt.

Karin I have saved you from the rescue canoe business just this one time, the auto teacher is going to finish that Pal.

-29 this morning, ho ho ho, Merry Christmas (my tree is beautiful 12 foot balsam, found it at the entrance of my snowshoe trail, my wife does a real good job decorating, but i got to keep moving the ladder for her instead of sitting on my keister)!

Hmmmm, there would have to be some kind of wicked trade involved in that pristine Tremblay. You would only have to re-canvas that one. How many tremblays does one person need? We'll talk. Got any old skidoos hanging around?

Back