• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Jack's - Morris - Special

I've run out of strips at this point but I may be able to get more tomorrow. I have a 10 foot,4x4 clear cedar post that I could cut up to get what I need. None of my saws will cut deep enough to cover the 3 1/2" girth of the post, so I may just make a cut to depth and then flip it and cut the other way to get a slab. I can run it through the planer to even it out before cutting the actual strips off. I have only 8" to fill to get to the center and the strips are less than 10 feet long now so I shouldn't need too many to finish the first half in record time for me. With a forecast for +2c tomorrow I may just go ahead and do that, I could then potentially get the strips I need cut and routed in the one day, regardless of the snow that is supposed to fall all day.

Today was putting in the last few strips I had. Although I have Aspen still I don't like the colour so I am not going to use it unless absolutely necessary. I also started to cut the sheer line to the ends. I started with drilling holes just below the form edge then inserting a finishing nail and bending a strip across the nails to get the line before cutting it out. I then re-enforced the section I cut out of the one side to use as a jig for the other 3 sections I need to cut, hoping it will help keep it somewhat even. I cut below what would be the actual so I have room to play with.

Also, with the strongback being altogether too high for my liking I wanted to adjust it. I could only go lower by 5" but still that would make life a tad better. I was unsure I could do that at this point but Mr. Dodd's angled strongback photo helped make that decision. A bit of beer and the fact I can actually pick the whole shooting match up with one hand helped clinch it. So, using a 5 gallon pail, a couple pieces of plywood, my Workmate as a safety and the jack from my Highlander, I was able to adjust the height down by about 6" to a more convenient size. It should make glassing a whole world easier.

We've both run out of strips at the exact same point!

Looks like you did a nice job cutting the shear line. Pretty boat.

I have a 10 foot,4x4 clear cedar post that I could cut up to get what I need. None of my saws will cut deep enough to cover the 3 1/2" girth of the post, so I may just make a cut to depth and then flip it and cut the other way to get a slab. I can run it through the planer to even it out before cutting the actual strips off.

I've got some cedar 4x4's I plan to cut up for strips too. I tried one as a test and did just as you describe above. Cut a little over half way through and then flip. Went fine and will take just a light cut in the planer to smooth it out. Mine is pretty clear and is nice looking stuff other than all the nail holes. They were salvaged from my old house when I tore it down.

Alan

I have the post in the shop but Christy is finishing up the Tremblay so once a couple more coats of paint are on it and the stem bands, we can move it out to the boathouse and I will have more room. Of course, after it is painted I "may" find some space for some cutting... just sayin.

You had better not be doing any cutting when I have fresh paint on the Tremblay.

Got back to stripping today. Yesterday I was out in the driveway cutting up that 4x4 then planing it and cutting the new set of strips. The snow pack is covered in the shavings I couldn't sweep or shovel up and it was a balmy -5C at the warmest part of the day, but at least I was out of the wind.

This morning I was waiting for it to warm up a bit before planing again then doing the routing, but Christy said we should do it in the shop, so we wedged the planer and then router between the two boats and got the strips done. That 4x4 produced some really nice strips. It is likely Manitoba cedar and has a nice pinkish colour to it and the $30 cost to produce 24 strips was far better than the other wood.

So, I am working my way to the middle on the first side although I likely won't make it tonight. So, at some point tomorrow I should be cutting the center line.

I started with putting the last 4 strips on at 7:30 this morning, cut the center line just after noon and am moving to closing it in now. I'll get a few more on tonight then should be able to close it in next weekend. I'll need to pick up a 50 pack of 80 grit discs before then to start the harrowing task of sanding this beast.

Looks great. Cutting the center line is fun.

RE: Sanding disc grits - I've been quite happy starting at 40 grit. Really chews off the edges and glue with less work and discs than starting with 60 or 80.

Alan

Cutting the center line went really well. After snapping a line and re-doing with pencil, I just clamped an aluminum yard stick and cut along the edge. Now I have the issue of matching strips to that nice edge, but then, that is what thickened epoxy will take care of.

I have plenty of gnarly edges to remove and have been hitting them with the block plane but it is taking chunks, no nice curls the wood is so dry. I'll git''er done in time. No rush.

Karin

This cedar is reaaaaaally dry and cracks or splits before it planes worth a dang. I hope it sands ok, cuz I like the look of this boat and karins customising ideas are pretty cool. I want to see it when its done.
It seems almost sacreligious to have it next to that evil plug of a Tremblay.

Stripping done. I work better slow, when I was going too fast I was messing up pretty good and there are some big blems on it but it will float and hopefully go straight, :rolleyes:.

I have the outer stem on the far end and am working at the near end. Due to the fact I modified the inner stems with the taper towards the rear of the boat, the ends are going to be rather blunt. Think Royalex blunt. I may layer on additional strips to the outside once I get them shaped to lessen the bluntness, depends on how they look. They will be getting a brass stem bands like Mem did so it may not be so bad.

I'll get better with each new build.

Sanding will commence next weekend and Friday we go to get cloth and resin. It will get 6oz on the inside and a full layer of 6 and a football of 6 on the outside. The local supplier only has 6oz anyway, ha ha. May go with West again since I have used it on more than one occasion but I believe the store also carries System 3 so I can maybe get a comparison on pricing. Either way, 2 gallons of resin with hardener and 15 yards of cloth will be pricey.

I've just been catching up on this build ! Every builder does things different, and it's good, cause that's how we evolve as builders. I've helped several first time builders, and I've learned things from all of them that effect how I build today !

Your strip gluing syringes, is not new to me, but sticking them in Styrofoam to hold them is a neat trick !

Love how everyone is willing to share their ideas here !

Thanks People !

Mihun Your hull looks Great ! The best thing about sanding, is when it's done !

I skimmed through this thread, to find out how long it will be ? Missed it if you posted.

Jim

It is a 15 footer, but actually measures to just under 15 at the longest points. It has a severe recurve stem and sweeping sheer line that will likely require jigs and steaming for inwales and outwales. I believe when Mem built his last year he lowered the sheer line a bit, I think I heard him say that in August. I cut it according to the original plans but may lower it a touch before I'm done but won't know for sure until I get her upside right.

Yes, I believe I lowered it about an inch or more from the last station to the stem. Not really noticeable, but made a big difference when bending the gunwales.

Alright, got my resin and cloth from my local supplier. A bit pricier than I was planning but with the Canadian dollar trading at about 70 cents to the US dollar and with the products coming from the US it isn't really surprising. I also priced it out of Noah's in Toronto for comparison but it would need to be shipped here as well which could bring it even. Again, I believe in supporting the smaller businesses so I likely pay a premium to help keep them in business. Cargo East Marine supply is my go to place for Epifanes varnish and he only charges $48 a litre where Noah's is $63.85.

The cost of getting local supplies in the center of Canada...

2 gallons of West System epoxy. $257.98 Noah's $233.96
1 equivalent Slow Hardener $58.99 $52.80
1 equivalent Spec Clear Hardener $108.99 $97.08
14 metres of 6 oz cloth $196.00 $154.35
Taxes 13% $80.81 +13%, +shipping
Total $702.81

For comparison, Noah's sells System 3 Clear coat, 1.5 gallon size for $245.00

The cost of boat building here has gone up a bit. If I had ordered through Noah's it would have been $540 plus taxes and shipping.

I will just need more money if I sell it after it is done.

Although I don't need 2 gallons for this project, we always use epoxy around the shop even on the w/c canoes for certain repair work, so it will get used. Christy brought home some discards from work this week which included 1/3 gallon of West epoxy and 1/2 quart of Fast Hardener along with new pumps. So we are flush with epoxy for the foreseeable future.

As much as I could try a different epoxy manufacturer, I would like hands on with something before buying. I have used West, I do understand it tends to be more expensive, but I like the stuff.

Back