• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Florida PaddlingTrails

Never paddled a OT Penobscot 16ft. If it is maneuverable then its good. What caught my eye was the Swift Keewaydin. If I remember correctly it is very close to the Bell Northstar. For experienced tandem paddlers this would be great. For solo the best I have paddled is a Wildfire. Have been in Curtis, Lotus, Sawyer, Mohawk, and Bell solos in the last thirty years. For the twisty and log infested tight streams and spring runs (the fun stuff) the Wildfire is the best so far.

For the open waters of lakes, some swamp and river is the boat you have is great. One other thing to remember we have the afternoon sea breeze things get warm down here. Not much of a problem at the time you wish to visit. So any canoe that has a wind problem on a northern lake will have the same problem down here in the wide open areas.

Thanks, cflcanoe. Good info. I believe you are correct about the Bell Northstar and Swift Kee 16 as being similar. I am looking for a solo, hopefully in time for my trek down south.

Should be they were designed by the same designer. The Kee being DYs latest thinking His son Carl has a hand in design of the new Northstar Canoes.

This is an astonishingly well designed and informative website especially for a state agency. Maps, campsite descriptions.. Good for reference for anyone who wants to paddle the Real Florida.
Florida is an incredibly paddler friendly state.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/paddle.htm

Looking to "do" Big Bend. Click on each river or route to delve wayy deeper.

I have really been using this link. EXCELLENT link, thanks again.

I also bought 2 books, one you recommended and one Glen recommended. Awaiting their arrival.

So I have spent this week poring over the books, Glens book has incredible photographs, Yellows has excellent data. Those 2 with the websites and the Delorme should get us through.

Camping question: I will be leaving this Friday morn and making Jacksonville area late Friday or most likely Saturday morning. I will pick up my wife @ JAX in the afternoon then go?????????

So how are the state parks? I usually prefer these to Private. We tend to camp in truck(futon) or tent. No electric needed. We like scenic and as few motor homes as possible. At least tent only loops.

Please give me some thoughts on the following options for the first day or 3:
1) Little Talbot Island SP, close to JAX, looks relaxing which is nice after driving or flying. I could set up camp, then pick her up. Spend Saturday, slow Sunday morn, then head off to paddle.
2)Michael Roess Gold Head Branch SP ????? Again close to LAX.
3) Suwanee River SP: A bit further from JAX, over an hour. This might make a good base camp for 2-4 days. Hope to paddle the Itch, Wacissa and others in this region before heading a little further south.
4) others you folks like?

Thanks all

PS we are getting another 4-8 inches of snow today, hope I can get out of here in time. Wife might be waiting at the airport:)

You have already struck out. Now pay attention. Florida State Parks book up fast in March.. All the parks you mention are full. When you gather your wife..plan ahead.. and bookmark this site and sit down and plan a route. You have a far better chance of midweek. But remember you are going towards spring break.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/

Some of the parks have limited numbers of campsites.

You obviously need a place to stay and I suggest what is a huge RV park in the summer.. The Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park. Its a massive parcel of land on the Suwanee RIver by Live Oak. Disregard the front part of the campground and drive a mile or so to the back.. It is a true wilderness campground with some sites on the river and picnic tables. You will have to hand pump water and use an outhouse.

http://www.musicliveshere.com/content/

If you are doing the Wacissa after the Itch, move camp to Goose Pasture. You will need a Delorme to find it.. off rt 98 between Perry and St Marks. Its a free campground on the Wacissa. Has outhouse and no running water. Picnic tables. Free and very quiet. Accessible only by sand road which your truck can handle. Then the next day you are all set for the Wacissa.

You have already struck out. Now pay attention. Florida State Parks book up fast in March.. All the parks you mention are full. When you gather your wife..plan ahead.. and bookmark this site and sit down and plan a route. You have a far better chance of midweek. But remember you are going towards spring break.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/

Some of the parks have limited numbers of campsites.

You obviously need a place to stay and I suggest what is a huge RV park in the summer.. The Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park. Its a massive parcel of land on the Suwanee RIver by Live Oak. Disregard the front part of the campground and drive a mile or so to the back.. It is a true wilderness campground with some sites on the river and picnic tables. You will have to hand pump water and use an outhouse.

http://www.musicliveshere.com/content/

I guess I screwed up. Never needed reservations in Fla before but it has been a few years since I paddled there. I did look at the FLA state parks site earlier but did not look at reservations. Mike Roess Gold Head SP has spaces so I could go there if needed. I will look over you recommendations as well, thanks. I have always been a 'fly by the seat of my pants' kinda guy. Obviously not good for Fla:) dang, little Talbot looked nice. I'll try and score one for the return trip.

thanks again yellow

actually that was the one I didn't check.. We usually come back through Starke on 301 and that park looks attractive for on the way home. You can fly by the seat of your pants but plan weekends carefully. I usually plan about a week ahead.

Now when it comes to Ocala National Forest that DeLorme is even more useful. Likely you will score a street map but I am not sure it shows all the primitive campgrounds in Ocala. Juniper Springs has a lovely secluded improved campground but if it's full there are many primitive campsites near they have tables and hand pump wells. Eight bucks or so.

Last edited:
After spending many hours today shoveling the paths and driveway (and my neighbors, 91yo) I am packed and ready to go. I have a nice picture of my truck full of snow and canoe but seems too large. Try to post later.

Winter is done(for me) stick a fork in it:)

Thanks all for info on Fla and okee

Well I have returned in one piece. I was hoping to return to spring like conditions, seems winter still has a grasp on us in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Florida was heaven, 80's , sunny, sometimes actually hot. I had a great time, lots of paddling and biking. Wonderful trip. Thanks again for all the beta. I will write up a trip report soon.

Gators galore in the okee.

Looking forward to it! We have a May trip planned with biking and paddling Silver, Juniper, some of Withlacoochee South, Wacissa, Wekiva, Blackwater and Cedar Key.. South of Tampa is too hot!

Balto Charlie glad you made back safely. Looking forward to your trip report.

Yellow canoe come on down the water is right. We have a permit for Blackwater Creek for April. Guess I will need to write a day trip report so you will know the conditions. Or maybe you could make it down a week earlier and we could do it together. If you need some one to shuttle with in central Florida on the weekend let me know. have you tried the little Wekiva river?

I have my saw packed for Blackwater. I have to have chemo in April.. I paddled some of B last year. We had to use a saw, especially upriver toward Lake Norris.

Back