• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Carbon Copy Kite

Nicely done sir! Enjoy the trip! I'll be waiting for the action shots!

Jason

Wait.... What about the seat? I must have missed something

The seat is an Alan Gage special...a carbon fiber tractor seat. I added a couple of glass over foam rails to the bottom.
And I made a pair of glass over foam pedestals to allow the seat to be attached with 3M Dual Lock (like a super velcro).
The seat has about 10 or 12 inches of fore-aft adjustment. The Dual Lock holds the seat in place firmly, and releases readily, handy to avoid entanglement if feet are tucked under in the event of a swamping or capsize. I suppose I should drill a hole in the seat to allow me to tether the seat to the pedestal, I don't think the seat floats.
Later today I will paint the pedestals black, so they look like carbon fiber. Shhh, it will be our little secret!
One of my gang is coming over tomorrow to pick up a loaner boat (my 17'2" Sawyer Cruiser) and the carbon copy.

Saving ten pounds is a big accomplishment and you now have your pack boat. I've enjoyed following your build and I get the sense that your not done yet.

Saving ten pounds is a big accomplishment and you now have your pack boat. I've enjoyed following your build and I get the sense that your not done yet.

Glad you enjoyed the ride!
No, I'm not done, but there will likely be a delay before the next one. MDB and I plan to sell our house soonly, and it will be a bit before we build the next one. Even though we already have the land (split 34 acres with daughter and SIL) and we sub out the site, foundation, framing and roof/siding, it will still be at least a year before I have the time and workspace to get back into a build.

Ah! A Velcro seat... that's an interesting solution to the sliding seat / solo portage yoke dilemma. It will be interesting to see how it holds up to your bushwhack style of portaging!
Will you have totake off the seat when you mount the yoke for a carry?
Jason

Last edited:
Ah! A Velcro seat... that's an interesting solution to the sliding seat / solo portage yoke dilemma. It will be interesting to see how it holds up to your bushwhack style of portaging!
Will you have totake off the seat when you mount the yoke for a carry?
Jason

It's quite a bit stronger than velcro...Do you have an EZ Pass? The stuff holding it in place is Dual Lock.
The seat can be positioned towards the aft when I carry, and there's plenty of room.

The seat is an Alan Gage special...a carbon fiber tractor seat..... I suppose I should drill a hole in the seat to allow me to tether the seat to the pedestal, I don't think the seat floats.

Glad to see the seat being put to use. I put a couple of those large carbon seats in my tandem I just finished and forgot how comfortable they were. Tethering would be a good idea. I can verify from empirical evidence that loose carbon seats will not float in the event of a capsize.

Alan

Good looking boat. Do you use the seat pedestal rails as the carry yoke?

No, they're too far aft...
I made a carbon over foam yoke specifically for this boat, but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped. There is too large of a moment on the yoke itself, so it wants to pivot on the gunnels (gunwales, gunwhales). I should have done a summation of the moments before I made the thing. It is destined to become a lamp! I was trying to get the load centered on my spine front to back. While I was successful in that endeavor, I completely missed the other, equally important performance factor.
I'll make another shortly, with a little more thought and analysis behind it.

I had dreams (plans, maybe?) of a combo seat frame/portage yoke. The seat could be flipped front for back, and then used as a yoke. Maybe I'll still try, or I can post a 3D model of it and one of you guys or gals can make a run at it.

I had dreams (plans, maybe?) of a combo seat frame/portage yoke. The seat could be flipped front for back, and then used as a yoke. Maybe I'll still try, or I can post a 3D model of it and one of you guys or gals can make a run at it.

Me ? I'd hinge the front of the seat, and when you flip the seat forward. Put a pad on the underside of the back of the seat. The pad would rest on your shoulders. Right now just an idea in my head !

Jim

Hey Stripperguy !

I most likely missed it, but I was curious how much the CC Kite weighed, all done ?

I've been going back and looking through threads, as I've had a little spare time, and it's been raining here !

Thanks !

Jim

Back