• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Bubbles Here, Bubbles There...

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

It's been a while since posting here. Life is crazy sometimes. Stuff happens you know?

Anyways, Some of you will remember me documenting my Hiawatha build here a while ago. I just pulled the canoe out of the garage and dusted it off and found this mess! Wow. I did notice some signs of this last year, but it wasn't this bad. I have done some quick research into the best way to repair it but there seem to be differing opinions. I trust that some of you have had to face this kind of thing in the past and had some success in repairs. Any suggestions?

I'd like to document the repairs too. Maybe it can help someone else.

Thanks folks,

Momentum

Attachments

• photo6950.jpg
    photo6950.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo6951.jpg
    photo6951.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1
only way I know is to grind/sand out the dry spots and leave some bevel around the surrounding area, apply fresh patch of resin and glass, then fair to taste.

My nephew had similar afflictions on his stripper...we attributed it to poorly mixed resin.
He cut out the offending areas, sanded the bare wood, and we applied patches. One matched to the repair site size, and another larger patch to blend.
We know where it was patched, but the uninitiated would be hard pressed to find those spots.
Even so, every scar tells a story. And we all know that chics dig scars.;)

Stripper guy is spot on ! Poorly mixed resin.
Grind down and patch as above suggested.

It's common to get in a hurry mixing, especially on one's first build. One extra minute of mix time, should have prevented that.
Thorough mixing, scrape the sides, blend the bottom with the top.
Cooler resin temps, require more mix time also. That's a mistake I made once, I hope not again !

Good Luck !

Jim

Last edited:
Ohh, Dear...

Perfectly survivable. I concur with everyone else so far.

I would add that you might want to give the hull some gentle, all-over flexing, just to make sure that there are not any other spots that are thinking about doing this. Make sure that you cut out the existing ones first, so that you don't peel up more glass than you have too.

If the price of peelply makes you wince, try some 100% polyester dress/suit liner from your local sewing shop. On small patches, it peels off great if you get to it green.

I am with SG .... cut out those affected sections, light sand the wood and add a similar shaped patch to fill the void, then cover with a large patch ... feather edges after epoxy.

I don't think i would try and sand or grind out those sections, I always have better luck just cutting the glass at the edge.

Brian

Back