No announcement yet.

cutting strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust collection on the skillsaw method is nil ! I'd never do it inside !

I figure we are throwing at least a quarter of the plank away in saw dust ,when cutting strips!
    That's not counting when we sand the hull.

Never calculated the wood lost in running the strips through a planer, beings I don't have one.

Jim
    Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

Cut strips today, and made a great modification to my strip cutting skilsaw.

The previous clamps cleared my cleats fine. But these last planks were 11/16". Much thinner planks, than I'm used to.

Scrounging around for small clamps. I found one, and then a Vise Grip came to the rescue as the second clamp..
      The Vise Grip even provided a great handle !

Also I now use a five gallon bucket as a saw holder, instead of laying it on the ground.

Comment

A pic of my strip cutting setup. The versatile Strongback.

Comment

Looks like a great setup. Are you getting ready to build something or just getting ready for next time?

How do you keep the board from moving around or wanting to fall on its side when you get to the last couple cuts?

Alan

Comment

Right now, I'm waiting on epoxy and cloth to arrive. These strips will be used this Summer, as I've ordered enough supplies for two strippers, and a Kevlar. There goes my retirement account !

I pulled out an old plank, a friend gave me, that came from Menards more than 15yrs ago. It was a 1"x12"x16'. These were full 3/4" actual thickness.

With the Freud Advanti blade, I got 33 strips. They miked at a few thousands over .250.

Jim

PS. For a good laugh I'll post a pic of my bead and cove setup, when I get there. Probably next week.

Comment

Here is my first video posting http://vid1272.photobucket.com/album...pskmizdf9v.mp4

Sorry for the quality, but it represents my technic for cutting strips. No need for a planer, I start with #3 cedar from Menards (They allow sorting) no need for top quality lumber, as when I finish, I will have machined every edge.

I can think of no simpler, or better method. Not to mention cost for the home builder. I've cut my strips this way for my first, and have cut strips for others totaling over 40 boats worth.

Jim
              Last edited by Jim Dodd; 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I'm convinced Jim. That looks pretty slick especially since I don't have room for a table saw. I didn't know they had 16 ft western red cedar at Menards. Looks like I'll be making a road trip as I haven't found any place in Kansas City that sells it.

Comment

Just so happens they are having a sale now.
                  Pretty slim pickens in my neighborhood ! Wonder why ?

#3 and better, surfaced on three sides. Some of the planks I've gotten from Menards were actually 16' 1" long.

Jim

Jim

Comment

I found a video (poor quality), I made of cutting strips.
                    I thought it might shed some light, or make things darker ?
                    http://vid1272.photobucket.com/album...pskmizdf9v.mp4

Hope this is helpful !

Jim

Comment

The great feature to your setup Jim is you don't need twice as much room as the board you are cutting and it's a one man operation.

Comment

Sorry for posting that video twice ! My only excuse is it's Valentines day !
                        Sweeper, It's worked great for years !

Jim

Comment

When you are cutting the strips do you have the grain running vertical or horizontal? I have 2x6's so could cut either direction.

Comment

Originally posted by cbdeajr View Post
                            When you are cutting the strips do you have the grain running vertical or horizontal? I have 2x6's so could cut either direction.
                            When you get done you want quarter sawn strips (grain running the short way).

Alan

Comment

Alan is right !

I want flat sawn, or horizontal grain planks. So when I cut strips they end up quarter sawn.
                              You get a stronger, easier to work with strip.
                              Here is how I want the grain to look(roughly) in the planks I cut my strips from.

Jim

Comment

How much extra strength does it really provide though? When you cover both sides in fiberglass or Kevlar or whatever does it matter which way the grain runs? I am not any expert so please correct me if I'm off here. I can see the value in quarter sawn wood for a skin boat, where there is no laminate. Other things like paddle making the grain is also very important, but I was under the impression that it's much less so when it's buried under a laminated cloth

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X