• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Needle Pulling Thread

Reaction score
After the wife got a nasty cut last year on a trip, I added sutures to our first aid kit. I haven’t closed a wound since 1976, but I think I can remember the knots. Anyone else carry sutures?

This is what Kathleen and I carry in our First Aid Kit.

Adhesive wound closures (1/8 × 3 inches)

Alcohol wipes (6)

Bandages (assorted)

Cavit (temporary tooth filling)

Compresses (12, non-adherent, 4 × 3 inches)

First aid manual

Gauze cleansing pads

Lighter/matches

Medical tape

Moleskin

Pressure bandage (2)

Q-tips (100)

Scissors

Tensor bandage (1)

Triangular bandage (1)

Tweezers

Bactroban (antibiotic ointment)

Dermovate (cortisone to aid healing)

Fucidin (antibiotic ointment; prescription)

Nerisone (anti-inflammatory; prescription)

Second Skin (5)

Stop Itch (bites, minor burns, cuts, rashes, sunburn)

Sting Stop (bee stings)

Aspirin

Acetaminophen (pain reliever)

Novo-Nidazole/Metron/Dazole (Giardia; prescription)

Novotrimel/Trimeth/Sulfamethx (infection antibiotic; prescription)

Seldane (antihistamine)

Throat lozenges

We have never used most of these supplies. The worst accident we’ve ever had is when I spilled very hot tea on my bare thigh, after which I applied Second Skin. I removed the Second Skin after two days because the burn wasn’t healing by being all covered up. Exposed to the air, the wound dried out and healed very quickly. Perhaps the Second Skin wasn’t necessary or even useful. I’m not actually a medical doctor, so I don’t really know.

I don't carry sutures, I carry a surgical stapler instead. It's faster, easier, less painful, and more sterile (less holes), staples are also easier to remove than sutures.

I don't know how to do sutures so I carry steri-strips and medical super glue (from the vet) instead. Doesn't mean I could do that either depending on where the injury is (I'm always solo) but it's something.

Alan

I don't know how to do sutures so I carry steri-strips and medical super glue (from the vet) instead. Doesn't mean I could do that either depending on where the injury is (I'm always solo) but it's something.

Alan

Yeah, if I had to sew up my own hand I'd be in trouble, even on a trip with the wife. She is not good with blood and gore. My next wife will have a whole different list of minimum qualifications. I'll add that one right below #27-finds white beards sexy.

I'm not qualified to use sutures so don't carry them. Steristrips and tape are fine for anything I'm prepared to deal with, anything beyond that i would likely be looking to evacuate. A big concern with field wound closure is sealing dirt into the wound, better to make a temporary closure and let someone better qualified take a look.

We do carry Tegaderm patches which I would highly recommend for covering wounds,they stop the wound from drying out but still allow the skin to breathe.

I have also taken to carrying clotting agent and a tourniquet, especially when out with a buddy who is on blood thinners.

I think I've got you guys beat, I'm actually taking my own nurse. I met Nurse Bob about a month ago while back country skiing. He's a traveling nurse up here for temporary work and is looking for some adventure.

Steristrips are great after getting the bleeding stopped. Any serious wound then requires a betadine dousing for many minutes before stitches. Outdoors the risk of infection with sutured wounds is great.. Better to leave it steristripped or open. At that point you don't require pretty as in bringing the edges together precisely.
Tegaderm is great.

The most I have had to personally deal with is... blisters.. Nu skin gets used just about every trip. That and water. I have met some people on canoe trips with medical emergencies.. Dehydration is a killer and most likely if you have tripped for days you have experienced it to at least a mild degree. Pair dehydration with diabetic problems or respiratory problems and its a perfect recipe for a bad outcome.

So I do carry water.

30 years as a paramedic here.

Take a Wilderness First Aid course. You would be amazed at how little "stuff" is essential

So I guess that field dressing for the sucking chest wound is overkill, too, I suppose?

There's no way I'm I'm cutting my trach tube. The Bic pen approach is way too unsterile for me, and who the heck carries a pen anymore?

No way I'm cutting the sutures and stats. Those little sticky tabs don't hold. I've got some antibiotics somewhere.

Last edited:
So I guess that field dressing for the sucking chest wound is overkill, too, I suppose?

There's no way I'm I'm cutting my trach tube. The Bic pen approach is way too unsterile for me, and who the heck carries a pen anymore?

No way I'm cutting the sutures and stats. Those little sticky tabs don't hold. I've got some antibiotics somewhere.

Do what you want.. In 30 years I did one tracheotomy and zero chest decompressions.

Yeah, I was kidding about the trach tube and field dressing, although I do have some military dressings somewhere. An emergency airway could be necessary, I suppose.

You're probably right about the sutures. Can't sew on most of myself and wife would resist without anesthesia. Betadine is heavy.

I will take the list above and go through all my partial kits to scab together something useful. A brand name for butterfly closures would be helpful. The ones I have don't seem to hold well. Much of my kits are useless or poor quality.

I like the stapler idea. Medical super glue? That's interesting too. I think I did try regular superglue on a cut years ago. Don't remember how well it worked. I think it was messy and the blood interfered, as I recall. It was on my daughter. Would have been a good idea for my wife's thumb cut last year. Had it with me too in another kit, just didn't remember it. Kept thinking, "if only I had some sutures." Ended up using lots of tape and ran out after a few days. Luckily it stayed closed.

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Last edited:
Black fly, just remember, as with sutures, stapling needs proper training- unlike sutures staples do not do a good job of drawing the sides tight, you need to use a clamp to pullthe skin in before stapling. It's also a good idea to leave at least 1/4' between staples to allow for drainage. the idea is to CONTROL bleeding, not stop it entirely. At least that's what the doc taught me at my DND course!

Thanks. That's helpful. I'll certainly get some training and practice on vegetables if necessary. Does sound like a good add to my bag. This site has so many good ideas it boggles my mind sometimes. I often walk away thinking "now why didn't I think of that."

We usually have a nurse on our school run trips. On one trip, I managed to drive a sharp brush axe into my thumb, a pretty good one, right to the bone. Our nurse, who was a plastic surgeon's First Assist, used some skin glue to glue the slash together, then wrapped it up good. It healed very well, no scar or anything.

McC could probably cone up with a DIY solution
meanwhile I remain a fan of duct tape

+1 I was hesitant to mention how handy duct tape is for pulling a cleaned cut closed. Used in narrow strips over a sterile bandage has kept numerous gashes closed for me.

Back