• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Be careful out there - crap happens

Reaction score
Things in the boat shop weren't going so well this weekend so I decided the only antidote was to bolt some temporary thwarts in the new canoe and take it for a test paddle. No seat installed yet so I brought along assorted pieces of foam in various thicknesses to figure out a preferred height. I waited until a little after lunch when the temperature for the day peaked at about 31 degrees.

Been a long and mild fall but it's gotten chilly the last few days. I was surprised how quickly the protected bays had iced over:

20161120_010 by Alan, on Flickr

20161120_011 by Alan, on Flickr

20161120_012 by Alan, on Flickr

Despite a little wind and having to bust through a little ice it was a nice day on the lake until my leaning tower of foam (temporary seat) fell over mid-stroke. Next thing I knew Sadie and I were both in the water. Needless to say it was a little chilly. I was extremely lucky the water was just deep enough for me to stand. It was shoulder deep with thick gooey muck on the bottom of the lake but it made it easier than if I'd been swimming. I thought about trying to flip the canoe upright, empty it of water at the same time, and then attempt to climb back in but knew from previous experience in warm water testing that without flotation reaching nearly to the sheer that I wouldn't be able to fully empty it and that I'd likely just end up wasting time and energy. So I got the canoe a little over 1/2 empty, grabbed my bag of dry clothes that was starting to float away, threw Sadie into the canoe, and started walking it about 175 yards to the little island. Between us and the island was solid ice. Only about 1/4-3/8" thick but enough that I couldn't just walk through it. So I got behind the canoe and pushed it ahead of me to break the ice and I walked through the pathway it created. Despite the serious situation I couldn't help but find a little humor when I recalled this quote from my build thread:

Those are some " robust" stems there Alan. Whatcha buildin....an icebreaker?
Christy

From the time we went in the water it probably took close to 5 minutes to reach shore. My body was still functioning normally but I was feeling very cold and I could feel that things weren't quite right. My legs and arms both felt numbish. I walked about 50 yards to get to the other side of the island where I'd be out of the wind and stripped down to put on dry clothes. Even while I was still in the water I was already thinking, "I wish I had more dry clothes in that bag." I had a pair of pants and a long sleeved shirt. Before I went in the water I was comfortably warm wearing a t-shirt, 2 long sleeve thermals, fleece, and a jacket.

I wrung out my long underwear bottoms and put them back on under my dry pants. Despite having on much less clothing it felt a good deal warmer than being in soaking wet clothes. I thought about wringing out some of my top layers but I didn't know if it would be worthwhile; plus my hands were getting hard to work and handling freezing wet clothing wasn't helping matters.

I suppose it had now been around 10 minutes or so since we went in the drink and my hands were pretty well numb. I had just enough dexterity to zip up my PFD and then it was back into the canoe for a 10-15 minute paddle back to the landing. The first 500 yards were into the wind and that wasn't much fun. After that we were out of the wind and much more comfortable. Made it back to the car without problem and sat in there with the heater on for 20 minutes while my hands very painfully came back to life.

I never would have imagined I'd end up in the water today. I almost didn't even bring a dry bag with extra clothes. As I was leaving the house the thought occurred to me and first I thought, "naw, I'll never need them" but then changed my mind and grabbed a couple things. I should have grabbed much more. Definitely should have had more top layers as well as an extra stocking cap and gloves.

While I did feel the situation was serious for a little bit it could have been a lot worse. I got lucky in many ways:
I was just able to touch bottom where I dumped
I was only 175 yards from shore
I was only a 10-15 minute paddle back to the car
My head (and stocking cap) stayed dry

Be careful out there and expect the unexpected. I'll be more prepared from here on out. What doesn't kill you makes you smarter.

Alan

I have a dry suit, and have been using it lately for longer kayak and canoe forays. But like Alan, I probably wouldn't have bothered in that situation either. A good heads up and I'm glad to hear it turned out well. This serves as a good lesson for all to always bring survival gear, even that close to the car. Just two questions Alan, did the camera survive? and how did the boat handle?

Mark

Glad to read you made it out OK... this may be the thing that makes me include a survival suit next time in freezing cold water. I'm surprised you still were able to paddle after that much time in the water. And how is Sadie... she seems nice and calm in the photos, maybe a nervous wreck from here on in if you can get her into a canoe again... jk.

Holy crap Alan. That was close...lucky you were not in deeper water. Have you considered a fpd for Sadie in those conditions? I am certainly glad that you had second thoughts on taking a dump bag. I am the queen of "nothing ever happens to me"and am trying hard to change that.

How is initial stability with the new boat? Perhaps some ballast would be a good idea when doing test/pleasure paddles unladen.

Re the whole icebreaker thing..... you may have to call her the Louis St Laurent now. Very nice looking hull though so far...two thumbs up.

Christy

Wow ! I mean Brrrr !
Had there been any spectators, I would have told them I was practicing for the Polar Bear Club !

Glad you and Sadie survived !!!

​ I paddled the river today, and worried about dumping, and what I would do. Good heads up !

Not to get off topic ;)

​ How did the canoe handle ? Enough rocker ?

Jim

Last edited:
A sobering tale.

I blame the complicated computer program that created the shouldered tumblehome.

Always take a dry bag with a towel and a full change of clothing when it starts to get chilly, no matter how flat and innocent the water appears.

I found that out in February 1984 when I foolishly stood up in my new Lotus BJX (25" waterline) and fell into the Wallkill River in New York. I was only a few feet from shore, so self rescue was easy. But I was five miles upstream from my car, soaking wet in below freezing air temperature. I paddled like a bat out of heck to generate as much body heat as possible. When I got back to my car, my feet and hands were numb and I was mentally confused. I kept trying to tie the canoe on top of my car, with my uncooperative hands, instead of sitting inside first to warm up. I was in the early stages of hypothermia, even though it was only a quick dunk in a small river quite close to civilization.

Gawd, I've had some close calls in life. Never any (that I know of) in canoeing. I've endured a few occasional slights against my ego when I've suggested "Maybe we should think this through. Are we prepared for this?" If only some people knew how easily accidents happen...or close calls. Some are preventable, but not all. I'm glad you've come through this misadventure in reasonably good health Alan. crap like this can happen to the best of us, and indeed now has. Thanks for sharing this valuable lesson with us.

Gawd, I've had some close calls in life. Never any (that I know of) in canoeing....If only some people knew how easily accidents happen...or close calls.

I like that you added "that I know of" in that sentence. That's something I think about quite a bit, especially when on solo trips. How many times have I been really close to a serious accident and never even known it? That time your foot started to slip but then grabbed. That time you stepped backwards, nearly off a small ledge, and never even knew you were 1/2" away from taking a fall. Not stepping in that hidden hole you never saw. Not stepping on the one rock that would have given way or rolled. Turning down that piece of jalepeno bannock that was offered.

I blame the complicated computer program that created the shouldered tumblehome.

Haha! Good one.

How is initial stability with the new boat? Perhaps some ballast would be a good idea when doing test/pleasure paddles unladen.

Stability felt good. Even standing was quite comfortable. I did have some ballast, about 35-40 pounds of water to help balance Sadie and at least simulate some light gear. It might have actually been a detriment. When my seat fell over and I fell sideways there's a good chance that water filled dry bag (and Sadie) fell to that side as well when the canoe suddenly heeled.

And how is Sadie... she seems nice and calm in the photos, maybe a nervous wreck from here on in if you can get her into a canoe again... jk.

Sadie is always willing to get back in the canoe, though I don't always know why considering what I put her through. By the time we got to the island she was shaking like a leaf (we both were) but after shaking off, rolling in the leaves and and running around a bit she was ready to go again.

Time to invest in a dry suit?

I've thought about it before and certainly thought about it again today. If I'm being honest with myself I wonder, even if I owned one, if I'd wear it every time I should. I guess even only wearing it sometimes would be better than never. Especially if one of the sometimes is the time you need it.

And as for the boat it handled well. Hard to tell on a short paddle with no gear but I'm happy with it.

Alan

Thanks for the reminder. These tales are something I need to hear from time to time. Just when you get comfortable and start leaving things behind for the quick paddle on your backyard run...

Glad it turned out well for you.

Its funny you can do a long wilderness trip and nearly kill yourself at home. I never get lost on canoe trips. I got lost in the 500 acres of woods behind my house.

Phew, could have been much worse...
I once did an accidental reverse gainer off a rock into Rock Pond in October. We were about 4 miles from our campsite, by the time we got back to the tent and my extra gear, I was pretty lethargic.

As far as those close calls that we never know about, read the book by Aron Ralston "Between a rock and a hard place". Remember the guy that had to cut off his own arm to free himself from a chockstone in a slot canyon? He had many close calls that only emboldened him, surviving the known close calls gives some folks a superman complex.

But on the other hand, glad to see that you're happy with the new boat so far...

I own a drysuit, and I really doubt that I would have worn it on an outing like yours (not saying it would be a bad idea to, or that after I tipped I wouldn't be wishing I had!). Mine is a chore to get on, bulky, and I look goofy wearing it. I only use it for spring whitewater, where it is a must have (and where no one sees me paddling anyways).

I do have a set of NRS hydroskins that I sometimes wear while paddling cold flatwater. I don't think they alone would save your life, but they would give you some more time. I also have used the bottoms on cold spring trips as a sort of super long underwear.

More importantly, I really like the lines of the boat. It will be fascinating to hear a comparison between it and your bloodvein.

Quinn

Thanks for being brave enough to post about your swim. It's easy to let your guard down when travelling close to home, a bit like not putting on your seat belt when driving a few minutes down the road.

I hope Sadie gets a good Christmas present this year. You have put her through a lot these past few months!

Quinn,

I own a drysuit, and I really doubt that I would have worn it on an outing like yours (not saying it would be a bad idea to, or that after I tipped I wouldn't be wishing I had!). Mine is a chore to get on, bulky...

I have no experience with a dry suit, but I've spent many hours on boats in survival suits (aka floater coats). They are also bulky, but loose-fitting so getting into them is fast and takes less than a minute. If they get to be too hot on the boat, the front is unzipped and the arms and upper portion hang down loose from the waist with only the legs and hips being in the suit. The way I thought I'd canoe is the same way, only the legs stay in the suit and if swimming after a flip is necessary the arms go into the sleeves, the suit body gets zipped up and hood goes on. The suit floats, so swimming to shore shouldn't be a problem, where hopefully one can start a fire to dry out.

All in theory, of course, still needs to be tested in the water...

Wow, I didn't expect that, glad you're ok and thanks for posting about it. I will be back East next month and will be paddling if the lake is still open. Thanks to reading about your experience I now plan to take a change of clothes on all my paddles. The thing that scares me more than flipping the canoe is falling out of the still upright boat and watching it blow downwind w\o me. I have been thinking about some kind of a leash to keep from getting seperated from my boat as I have a fondness for paddling standing up in the wind.

I'd recommend drysuit. And painters. I've swum after a boat that dumped me and escaped
Drysuit saved me. Mythic Gear makes relatively inexpensive ones

Back