• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Be careful out there - crap happens

I'd be curious to hear more about similar situations some of you have had. How did it happen, what did you do right, what did you do wrong, and what was pure luck (good or bad)?

Last cold water winter swim was on my local and familiar gentle homeriver. Powering the canoe to run aground up a sandy beach I hit a stump with one chine just as I was initiating a quick pivot, not expecting to brace in that direction. Emerged sopping wet 3 feet from shore and grabbed the dry bag of spare clothes.

That was back when the dry bag still contained the “Clown Suit” I would bring to dress friends without spare clothes. One red sock, one green sock, old poly long underwear, plaid pants, ruffled shirt, checked leisure suit top with a feathered boa DIY sewn into the collar, lime green suspenders, knit hat trimmed with rabbit fur. Like $10 for the entire ensemble at Goodwill.

It was a funny idea with unintended consequences; friends who swam would absolutely refuse to wear it, even at the risk of hypothermia. In the name of safety I would give in and dress them in my spare duds instead.

I was tired of hauling that nonsense around for no good reason, so I put it on myself.

There was also a hideous Bridesmaid’s dress in the bag that someone had contributed. A friend decided to don that, over his PFD. He looked like he was 9 months pregnant. There was a request for a “Wedding Photo”.

I was happily posing with the pregnant and heavily bearded bride when a local landowner, whom I unfortunately knew, walked up the bankside trail upon us.

He still kinda shys away from me even several years later when I see him somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Food for thought. I must admit that my last paddle this season had me considering the downsides of taking a swim in cooler weather...

My only un-intentional swim in cold water happened right at the take-out (The canoe was literally beached, with the stern in maybe 3' of water) , but it was still enough to scare me. I was solo, and car heaters have limits.

Regarding having a hard time breathing right after hitting the water: A public-service ad that used to play on the radio around my family's fall fishing grounds stated that a human body will reflexively try to inhale when experiencing a thermal shock such as falling into a near-freezing lake. In some extreme cases, it may also disrupt your heart rhythm, up to the point of causing cardiac arrest. One more reason to wear a PFD even if you are a good swimmer.

While what exactly goes into the dry bag may change with the seasons, Having a dry bag and ditch gear is essential, even in warm weather. The only time that I've been measurably hypothermic involved the following:
  • 80+ Degree day
  • 72 degree water
  • A 25 mph headwind
That incident did not involve a canoe, and we never even went in the water. After about 45 minutes of blowing spray, we made it to shore, and spend the rest of the day with the cabin heater running, in our heavy clothes, (At least we had some - the weather is unpredictable in that area) swilling hot chocolate. Other family members were doing water-sports that PM, after the wind died down.

I've been hypothermic a couple of times. One when backpacking in a soaking rain of the High Peaks of the Adirondacks.. another on a canoe trip.. The most surprising incident was when I was snorkeling.. for six hours in the Caribbean.. The water temp is about 75 but over that long a time it can sap the heat out of you! And I was wearing a long sleeve long trousered diveskin!

Back