• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

X canoe build

I watched your video and noticed that the part where your back was to us, the boat looked quite stable. Did it feel that stable?

It felt quite stable to me but as we all know that's relative. I'm used to paddling fairly narrow solo boats and don't think twice about a little rocking back and forth, which helps you be more stable by not tensing up. The real test of stability will be broad side in larger waves, unexpected underwater obstructions, sudden changes in course (e.g. crossing eddy lines paddling upstream) and how it reacts to broaching from following waves, which it hopefully won't be prone to doing. Those are some of the things that can catch me off guard and force me to rely on secondary stability for a moment until I can brace with the paddle.

What if you were to use a temporary gunwale stablizer to use for transport only? You could machine a piece of material how ever long you wanted with a channel in it so that it could cap the existing gunwales on the boat but only to be used for when you transport it. I'm thinking something like a 1x2 on the flat, with a groove in it for the gunwale. You would of course have to have it follow the shape of the hull.

That's not a bad idea and one worth looking into. A couple other ideas I had were a temporary thwart that could be attached to the hull where it rests on the front bar of the rack or solid V bracing angled from the bow thwart to the rack. I'm thinking of adding 2 foot decks to the bow and stern for both hull stiffness and water shedding so that will really stiffen up those sections but probably won't do much for the area I was having problems with yesterday. I'll see what I get.

I bet you're happy you didn't roll, that water is a little chilly, huh?

Yes, very chilly. My plan was to stay close to shore but that's hard to do when 30' of ice separates you from the shoreline. What a relief to sit in the boat and find that stability was good. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone more than 50' down the shoreline and back.

I noticed that your bow swung a bit away from your paddle side...it looks like it's a nice balance between tracking and maneuverability.
I know you only had it out for a few minutes, but are you happy with that tracking/maneuverability? Did you shift your seat much, to see how a different trim affects the handling?

Tracking and maneuverability felt good the little I paddled it. It was pretty easy to move the bow and the stern was sticky, but not too sticky. It weather cocked a bit with a side wind but nothing uncontrollable. It seemed quite sensitive to trim, which is good and I suppose to be expected with such low volume in the bow. By sliding my seat a little farther forward I could loosen up the stern and make the bow stick more. Sliding it back went to the other extreme. I think for purely covering distance during a workout or in a race I'd prefer harder tracking but all along I've had an idea that I'd add a removable rudder to help when I just wanted to go straight, especially in wind, so the extra maneuverability is welcome. I'm anxious to paddle it in calmer waters this spring and see how it really feels.

Thanks all for the kind words and support during the build.

Alan

Considering how massive your shop is, and the boat builds don't use much space, have you considered perhaps partitioning the space to only heat the side you are working on? Not necessarily build a wall, but could you drape tarps or something to lessen the space you need to heat fully?

These nights are getting down to -30C (-22F) and we have a little 1500W electric heater keeping the shop at a non-frozen 44F. Friday morning I will crank it up and with the proper attire even 54F is doable but the varnish stripper works better at higher temps. The only thing is the little heater can take 24 hours to bump the temp up 10 degrees.

Brrr! Your'e a bit chillier than we are right now. I've got tools and equipment scattered all over so I'm pretty happy heating the whole shop. I built it last year with plenty of insulation and a fully insulated slab, both under the slab and the edges, so heating it isn't a real big deal even though I am a bit of a tight arse. I've got it hooked up to a 500 gallon propane tank and last year that was enough to last the whole winter plus some. Hopefully the same this one. The little extra it costs to heat the whole shop is well worth it to me. I can bring it from 45 to 55 in under 30 minutes and it feels even warmer than that if you're anywhere close to the radiant tube, which I usually am as it runs over the work area.

I'd love to put a wood stove out there, which is how I heat my house, but the insurance company nixed that plan. No wood stoves in unoccupied buildings. Doesn't matter if it's installed up to code and inspected or not. :(

I'm happy to hear you're going to keep your shop warm enough this winter to do some work. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

alan

Looks great, I love your dog, is she a Brittney Spaniel? Had one about ten years ago. Couldn't watch the video, my internet at home is only powered by one hamster in a wheel, have to wait till I get to work to have a look at it. Be interesting in the spring if you could have some time trials with the Barracuda.

I've enjoyed following your build Alan. Seeing you take it for it's inaugural test paddle was fantastic. Much appreciation goes to your mom for braving a windy chilly day, and shooting the video. Nice.
I have a suggestion for car top carrying the X. What if you temporarily mount 1/2 of an aluminum extension ladder on your roof racks? The ladder might provide lashing points further fore and aft, and take up some of the stress. Without the hardware, alum ladders are light but strong. You'd need to cushion it adequately against damage to the canoe, foam tubing or whatever. Anyway, just an idea. Not sure if it would work.
Thanks for sharing the build and the test paddle. Now we all can't wait for spring!

WOW ! Great thread Alan !

Where was I when this thread started ? Ha!

Do you still have this hull ? I don't remember it

Your Barracuda seemed stable to me !

WOW ! Great thread Alan !

Where was I when this thread started ? Ha!

Do you still have this hull ? I don't remember it

That day we paddled West Okoboji I took it out for a quick spin before switching back to the Magic. I can't remember if you gave it a whirl or not. I've still got it. It's a fun workout boat. Never did do anything to beef up the gunwales. Hasn't been an issue because I haven't been car-topping it in heavy winds.
Alan

I remember seeing a lot of race hulls in Minnesota, that just used a thicker shearline strip, and aluminum thwarts. What a weight saver !

Its about getting away from hanging the seat from the gunnels,

Cartopping them around has to be the biggest risk ! A more elaborate rack system would be in order !

I didn't paddle it. I think I paddled the Magic, and then switched back to my Kevlar Pearl ! I do remember the waves hitting us from all sides after the Power boats started hitting the water ! I was nervous for sure ! Too scared to try and kneel ! I won't forget that one !

Jim

How did the AGX work out later when you had used it for awhile? Is there any way to buy the plans for the AGX?

Back