• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Winter storm for BWCA...

Reaction score
Does anyone know anyone that crossed their fingers and took one last trip into the BWCA recently? With 12 inches in some spots they might find themselves being able to pull their canoe behind them on those portages...

I so bad wanted to do a November trip but didn't make it. The last time I went in November we got hit with 8".

I so bad wanted to do a November trip but didn't make it. The last time I went in November we got hit with 8".
I dont think i've ever been hit with 8 inches before. How'd that affect the rest of your trip? Looks like the Frost Lake area of the BWCA is going to get up to 12 inches. Hope whoever might be out there brought snowshoes...

STP86079.JPG

At least the water was still liquid, made for an interesting morning. If I remember right we did end up cutting the trip a day short. The worst I ever got surprised with was in the BWCA in October one year when my boys were 4 & 6, we got a 15" dump. The worst of that was the roads to many of the BWCA entry points do not get plowed and we almost didn't make it out. On a couple of the hills we had to unhook the trailer and make several attempts to get to the top then back down and hook the trailer back on. Memory maker.

Funny how the Weather can make a trip soo memorable !
​ I doubt you'll forget that one, I'd even add a few inches of snow, and drop the temps. when I'm telling the story to the Grandkids !

Jim

A friend of mine called me today, he lives in Ely, on Saturday, 11/18/2016 at noon, he shoveled 4 inches of snow off his deck. At 6:00 PM, shoveled another 12 inches. He said it was real heavy wet snow that was to hard to push off the deck, had to pitch each shovel full over the side. Told me that any canoeist/campers better have a real axe and good saw, with the know how to use them to keep from being really miserable or worse. He also said, that a friend of his, needed over two hours to drive from Tower to Ely and that there were 5 cars in that 22 mile stretch of highway.

dang. That's definitely worse than what they were saying. Although I figured it'd be heavy. As for the roads I can only assume that they don't have a ton of plows up there. Although you'd think the main drag from Tower to Ely might be better than other roads....

Back