• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Varnishing technique

If you are going to spray, varnish or paint, you really do need a booth. If you want to do a decent job. We roll our paint jobs currently. Spraying varnish? Never thought to try that.

I think the biggest difference for me was making the decision to purchase by the quart. A fresh can always seems to tip-off so much better than one previously opened no matter how well sealed I thought it was. I pay more but I waste less. Can't say if it's a wash, but application failures are reduced.

OK ! I've been holding back on this conversation, mostly because I'm not that good at finishing !

Today I put two coats of Varithane's Spar Urethane, on CF Nokomis.
The reason I choose Varithane, was the directions on the can, didn't recommend sanding between coats.
I have a bunch of Helmsman's Spar Urethane, and it did recommend sanding.
The Varithane did seem thicker, than Helmsman's.

Technic ? I start at one end, work from the keel down, with a 3"foam brush. Tip off, going wet to dry, or in my case, left to right.
.Then just work around the hull until, I'm back where I started. I'm done.
Jumping from side to side every 2' or so would have me stirring up too much dust.
I don't worry about the overlap in the middle. May be why my boats finishes don't knock your socks off.

Once my hulls hit this nasty Iowa river water, it really doesn't matter !

Jim

Thanks for the varnishing technique Memaquay and Mike McCrea. Worked out great. Went all the way down the side came back and did the other, no visible line in the center where the two sides came together. Best of all no runs ,drips or errors.

Back