• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Tripping Plans for 2020

I'm probably taking a year off from any really long solo trips. I have 3 weeks starting in late May which will probably be for a James Bay river (North French or Yesterday?), 2 weeks in September for some bug free paddling somewhere and also a week in July and a week in August. I plan to be home for the Olympics (July 24 - Aug 9) and spend a bit of time at my cabin in the woods which I have mostly ignored in recent years.

Since none of these trips will be solo I'll need to load up on deodorant, soap and extra clothing!

All my big tripping is in the ADKs. I will probable do my usual 3 or 4. One or 2 group "guys" trips, one solo trip-to at least one place I haven't been, and my lovely wife an I's big canoe camp vacation. All will be in wilderness no motor areas and are flatwater trips.

Last edited:
I will be expanding my knowledge of routes in Manitoba's Atikaki Provincial Park. Most of the lakes are unnamed Last year we walked the portage to one some call "Frigid." A good sized lake with many bays and islands to explore. Three portages exiting the lake so a lot to check out on trips out from the main base camp. A lake to the south is officially named " Noname. "

Karen and I are headed back to the Allagash in late June. We want to visit Allagash Lake as part of our trip this year. We visited the Bog River/Low's Lake last October for 5 days. It was our 1st ADK trip and we're excited about exploring the ADK's further this year. Locally we enjoy Green River Reservoir and Waterbury Reservoir for short, spur of the moment trips.

Nothing near as challenging or remote as PP or some of the others but I am organizing a 6-day Voyageur canoe Brigade along from the Peace River in Northern Alberta from the British Columbia border to the Town of Peace River in July. Probably 10 to 15 Voyageur canoe teams.

54 2.JPG

This is an extension of a "learn to paddle" and "youth in canoes" program that we've
done with a local School District in Edmonton and as part celebration of the 350th Anniversary of the founding of the Hudson Bay Company. (Charter issued May 2 1670). Our route includes a 2-night stay at historic Fort Dunvegan where Alexander Mackenzie wintered before heading to the Pacific as the first European to cross North America.

A Voyageur canoe Brigade isn't a canoe trip per se- its more akin to a waterborne travelling circus with all the logistics, drama and hijinks that might entail. Great fun, great people
and some history and paddling thrown in too!

IMG_0929 (1).JPG

P8153493.JPG

By the way...don't try taking a 25 foot Voyageur canoe onto Parliament Hill for a photo op these days!

Nothing better than messing around in boats!

Bruce

Brad and I plan to paddle the upper Liard River in the Yukon. We will have to fly in to Caribou Lake and then paddle down to the TransAlaska Hwy, I think it is called, for ground transportation back to Whitehorse. I originally planned this as a solo trip (and purchasing a folding boat of some kind) but Brad has decided to come too, so we will have a rental from the outfitter. I picked the Upper Liard because it is fairly remote, rarely paddled as far as I can tell, has no significant white water or portages. I prefer river trips over lake trips. And I am getting too old and weak for the hard stuff. We plan short days and rest days as well. Fish, look around. Brad and his father found a rock with a spiritual message of some kind from First Nations People when they paddled the Sutton River. They only took pictures and left it in place.

I spent two days at the Nantahala Outdoor Adventures last summer so no major trip. I took private solo whitewater lessons with Jimmy Yokum. This is apparently the last year he is teaching and only sporadically. What I learned was that I am not competent to paddle solo whitewater. What I learned also :) is that I use only "half the boat", meaning I paddle with stern strokes. Have never paddled bow in white water. I learned a lot and can practice in the pond next to our house.

It's good to see you all again.
Erica

Yes, I watched a couple of videos of the Upper Liaird. There is an outfitter who runs one or two trips per year. I think one of them is subcontracted. One of the videos we watched showed a lot of people behaving in a manner we thought not appropriate to the wilderness. Not this one.

We have enough time that we can hold back for a day or two if we run into an unpleasant party.

I need to lose 30 years and 30 pounds to do anything serious again. And now with the internet, so many more people can see where to get into the wilderness, so it is harder to really get out there.

I did the upper Mistassibi River (not the NW) 25-30 years ago and there were no roads at all until our pullout and no cell reception there. You had to drive to a high hill. Now there are roads and houses. Even a dirt road to get to the put in at the source we had to fly in to.

Back