• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Tripping in the Age of COVID19 - yea or nay? Thoughts?

I think being in the outdoors is fine if you can figure out how to stay away from people. Avoid popular places. Go on week days. Be careful at put ins and take outs and trailheads.
Don't camp anywhere near anyone else. Then you are not being selfish.

Since we are nearing the apex here in southern NY, my family is staying home for at least the next week and possibly two. We stocked up on groceries previously so unless there is some dire need, we are not venturing beyond our property. After that, we will stay local, as we have been asked to do. I agree with red langford that as disappointing as it is, we all have to adhere to the guidelines so we can get beyond this thing as soon as possible and get on with our lives with some semblance of normalcy.

I'm afraid to go far off grid for very long, because I fear coming down sick while I'm out.

With the Covid thing, you don't know if you might already have it. People say it hits pretty hard, and if I'm out in the woods, well, that's not the place I want to spend a week feeling like dog poo.

So, since people walk around with this disease, some being asymptomatic, some not yet feeling the symptoms, we need to assume every person we meet has it, until proven otherwise. Additionally, unless you've isolated for two weeks, we need to assume we have it, and can spread it. If you buy that, and assume you have it, does it really make sense to head out into the wild? My answer is, not so much.

I'm afraid to go far off grid for very long, because I fear coming down sick while I'm out.

With the Covid thing, you don't know if you might already have it. People say it hits pretty hard, and if I'm out in the woods, well, that's not the place I want to spend a week feeling like dog poo.

So, since people walk around with this disease, some being asymptomatic, some not yet feeling the symptoms, we need to assume every person we meet has it, until proven otherwise. Additionally, unless you've isolated for two weeks, we need to assume we have it, and can spread it. If you buy that, and assume you have it, does it really make sense to head out into the wild? My answer is, not so much.

Chip,
If you've been self-isolating and social distancing for 14 days then the odds of you having the virus are very low. From the information that I have, if you were to go on a trip after a self-isolation of 14 or more days it seems that you should not have the virus and you should be good to go without fear of symptoms appearing on your trip.

Back