• Happy National Rocky Road Day! 🪨 🇪 🛣️🍨

The Square Stern Build

Reaction score
Some of you who have known me for a long time might be thinking that I'm getting soft or sumpin. Well, truth is, I live the good life, don't stop myself from too many urges when it comes to eating and liquor and stuff, and as a result, my body is slowly decomposing into a blubbery mass of laziness. Don't get me wrong, I can still paddle and port with the big boys, but those midnight cramps that make me scream like a ten year old girl are best left to a solo trip.

So I've been thinking about a square stern for a year or two, especially for moose hunting, where the object is to hunt moose (er, or maybe drink beer) with canoes, but not have to paddle a lot. This fall, my buddy and I paddled about ten kilometers into 50 kph headwinds, and it was a mean way to start a trip that was supposed to have us sitting around the fire till the wee hours, bullshitting and drinking. Think we both ended up in bed by 9:00 PM that night.

After wasting a lot of money, I finally came upon a plan that I think will work, from Martin and John Winters at Greenval.com. It's called the Nipissing. Here's the layout.

I'm putting the stations at 13.5 inches, so it will be a little more than 17 and a half feet. Small enough to still portage a mile or two, but with it's girthy mid section, big enough to haul a moose.

I started tracing the stations out a couple of days ago. Here's the bow forms -

Here's the stern, which should prove interesting. The transom detail is pretty good, and there is a stern form included with the proper angles all figured out.

I got this little baby for 20 bucks, got carb kit coming in next week. My father-in-law is redoing a little Evinrude 1.5 for me too.

I'm looking forward to doing lots of exploring this spring with this new setup. This isn't gonna be an Alan Gage build, gonna take me a while, haven't even got cedar yet. Think I'll use one sheet of ten ounce glass for both inner and outer hull on this one, I had good luck with that stuff on a 20 footer I built.

Take your time, but I for one am ready to see what it looks like off paper. Makes you wonder what other secret plans John Winters is sitting on.

Nice looking displacement hull !
Guessing 3 1/2' width?

1/4" thick strips ?

Looks easy enough to strip up !

Love it !

Jim

So let me get this straight; you're building a bigger motorized canoe so you can stay up later and drink more beer?
Yeah. Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. Those little egg beaters mounted on the stern will get up and go.
I'm really excited about this build. I envision a workshop at the top of your drive, full of sawdust and dreams, and by next winter there'll be a pile of back orders for custom square stern canoes. You supply the sawdust, I'll supply the dreams.
Seriously, this is good stuff. Keep us up to date

Last edited:
Looking forward to this, 17' is a good length for a sq stern to move across ports and over beaver dams. Lots of room for gear and other essentials.

you can mount those two little motors in tandem on the back there..twin 1.5's. I am pondering something more in the line of a 5hp. We ran the 1.2 up in a can of water and it bogs down just from the water without even pushing anything. An Eska 5 air cooled ( Tecumseh) would be slick.

You will be riding like kings in that beast, kings I tell ya. I plan to rig a sail for mine, being fancy and all. You should consider it...you could say cool crap like avast, and Yaaaargh, whilst swilling rum. Pirates of the Kapitonga.

We shall have to arrange a race, like the york boat races in Norway House. The Geraldton yacht club invitational.

It's about time I get a passport. I need to come party with you guys.

Also looking forward to this build. Should be a stable ride based on how much width she carries aft to the transom.

Got some work done the last two days. All the forms are up. i stretched it out to 17.5 feet. Really wanted to go to 20, but I'm trying to make this so I can still carry it over portages.

The last pic shows the station that the transom is mounted to. I'm thinking of just replacing the station with the actual transom, screw it to the stem form, maybe brace it too. Any thoughts? It's been causing me some consternation, as the plan for the transom is slightly smaller than station 16, leaving me to wonder how stripping would proceed.

For a sec I thought you'd run outta room. Then I remembered "Oh yeah, only one pointy end."

Transom smaller than it's last station? Is there a band or trim to insert there to make/cover up the difference?

Looks great !

Question ! Will the last form be part of the canoe ? And how many sheets of OSB did you need for the forms ?

Jim

How much smaller? I would think you could save yourself a step or two by "stripping" it in place. Unless you wanted to epoxy it in place instead of using glue for initial bond. Maybe you could put some skinny spacers in between the form and transom in order to get it to fair.

Yes, Sven, think I'll just make the transom part of the build, think it will make things easier.

Jim, I'm gonna ditch that last form all together. Took three sheets to get all the form. Brad, if I have any luck at all, you might be fishing out of this baby this summer.

mem,
I built a high performance sailboat a while ago. It had an open transom for cockpit drainage, but otherwise would be like your build.
I stripped the hull first, and later added the bulkheads, transom and decks and cockpit. The entire hull was 1/2" thick cedar strips. Everything else was Okume plywood, which everyone knows is French for "costs three times as much".

My vote is to add the transom after the hull is done. Maybe even double the thickness of it, to better withstand the loads from the motor.
BTW, pretty cool build, I'll definitely be watching.
View attachment 9GcpD_liRr3P9-VIOT3uelxYJd1lLNiust_PUmSZFd0Cu8klCoQcbS01BeHPY_fnt491r2ToJ5lGmujwCIgNjTK2c0c8214qWmzo
View attachment XplpqJ_L1YJeMqyZDiHK2jJM54Foh9Qo8iBgTjG1I4gcLNZStJIZmSi4RVONwx5jeciLhcrSR8dWmtBfYy1G9OTIrffKiFdUxjcW

Last edited:
Sorry for the side track ! But Stripperguy ? Did you bead and cove the 1/2" strips ?

My vote for the transom, would be to route a lip on the transom, so the strips would fit flush, and butt against the lip. I know that would require extra fitting ! Just an idea ! Sorry !
Lovin the build so far Mem !

Jim

Mem did you ever get down to that mill outside of TBay where we got our cedar? They were pretty cost effective.

Back