• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

The miracle of new life

Reaction score
I have a little friend who has made my garagenous zone her abode in which to raise her children. You can`t see her in her nest but she`s in there with her 3 babies. lovely!

Attachments

• photo4907.jpg
    photo4907.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4908.jpg
    photo4908.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 0
If that is a mockingbird or similar, start to wear a hard hat (lock up the babies, kitties and old ladies too!) in your garage area, around here they don't take kindly to 'visitors' in their home when they have youngin's in the nest. Our two 'locals' have taken to defurring (dive bombing w sharpies) our old cat...if she wasn't so confounded at the sudden attack from up above, it would be hilarious.

You`re right on the mockingbird warning, but this is a much smaller bird whose tail resembles that of a mockingbird. I`ll have to look it up in my bird book. She has actually landed on my work bench 15" from my face and has made peace with Pancho, my black lab. Havin` a blast with her and her brood in the neighborhood.

It looks like it could be the nest of a Carolina Wren; the belligerent behavior fits the bill as well. They tend to be quiet during the nestling phase until days before fledging when the parents will start singing from your workbench with a bug in their bill trying to lure the little ones from the nest.

I spent two summers sharing a lean-to with a nesting flycatcher. The shelter was home base for the director of the waterfront so while I lived alone, I always had company. It was fun watching her comings and goings as well as the growth of her chicks. The first summer took a while before we had an understanding but after that, it all went fine. Her nest was built around the one light bulb fixture I had in the lean-to; the Catholic chapel was only 50' away through the woods so we ran a line :eek:

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Last edited:
Can't locate my bird book but here's the latest happening. I saw the little mama easing into the garage so I laid my arm along the bench edge where she likes to perch before flying to the nest. Sure enough she jumped up on my arm, gave me a nod, then took the food in her beak to her babies. I left my arm there and she rested for a moment again, just below my elbow, before flying back out to get more groceries. Ain't it great!

Back