• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Shockwave vs NS Magic

Reaction score
I currently own a shockwave and paddle with the tractor seat at middle back and low front heights. This boat is a dream to paddle and extremely stable. The only downside is it takes a football field to turn around in....lol. I would like to upgrade to a lighter than 48# boat, but!

Recently I test paddled a Hemlock Peregrine & NW Solo with a bent shaft paddle. Both boats had the least amount of drop set up for the seats. I did not at all like the twitchy feeling from the Peregrine. The NW Solo had a foot brace and the narrower gunnel width made for a better fit(5'10" 200#)! It was twitchy but not as bad as the peregrine. Unfortunately I did not have time to change out the drops and try the boats again as I'm certain the comfort level would have improved but nothing compared to a shockwave!

if there are any NS Magic owners reading this I'd be interested in their observation on the Magic and better yet if they have shockwave experience and how they might compare!

By the numbers the only real difference i see from shockwave to magic is the water line width being nearly 3" narrower for the magic.

Last edited:
I just got a hemlock kestrel, and at first I did find it a bit tippy, now not nearly as much. Mine is set up with a high seat (for kneeling?). Past few days I've been kneeling, and the boat is much more stable. I can even kneel straight up with good confidence. But over all time is calming the boat down. Hope that helps.

Have paddled both. magic may turn a bit better as hull design allows it to be be heeled further than shockwave with more confidence; however it is not built for turning as much as covering miles like…the shock.
as with any straight keeled hull, heel away from the direction of the turn in both for the best efficiency.
Peregrine would be fine with lower seat drops and footbrace but it is narrower if you equate that with stability.
Happy hunting! All nice boats.

I strongly believe if you spend some time in the new Merlin II (if the wife allows) your perception of tippyness will change considerably. Also, if your paddling style is a low seated position, you may have a hard time lifting the stems of a NS Magic to get her to turn. I can heel from a kneeling stance, but tip my hat to those that can do it seated low.

I was twice given the option to paddle her new Merlin 😉. With the longer seat drop that you had installed for her I never felt twitchy and found the boat responsive, I prefer a stronger tracking. As a hit and switch paddler the wide gunnel width(27") was not too my liking, 20" to 23" better did my style.
I just need to find a Magic now to test paddle before purchasing😉.

I haven't personally checked yet! But I don't see 1 listed in their inventory that states demo. Also paying to test paddle rubs me the wrong way...... When time permits I will reach out to Ann at RRO in Tupper, they have been super to deal with so far.

Back