• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Shirts for canoeing and canoe camping

I wear a long sleeve polyester or wool long sleeve to keep the bugs and sun off in warmer temps. I throw on a fleece when it gets colder & a shell if it gets really cold/wet. At camp I have been wearing one of those cheap bug jackets with a hood when the bugs get really bad, but they've fallen apart on me in the past so I'll be getting one of the Original bug shirts for this season.

I wear fishing shirts mostly. I have a bug shirt, but it’s like wearing a baggie. I do just as well with a tee, fishing shirt, and a head net. I’m using brighter colored shirts these days so I can be seen easier in an emergency.

Nylon or poly/nylon long sleeve shirts, most with mesh venting. I use these for sun protection rather than smearing sunscreen all along my arms.

Most shirts have sleeves that are a bit too short to fully cover my top arm reaching out at the beginning of a paddle stroke. I can understand that for cheap department store shirts, but am disappointed that the NRS guide shirts I bought do not have long enough sleeves, nor do the expensive Rail Riders shirts which are advertised as clothing for outdoor adventures including paddling. The sleeves are a fine length for around town wear but I end up with a sunburn stripe above my wrist if I forget to apply sunscreen above wrists. It seems that they could make the sleeves an inch or two longer and rely on either either elastic or snap cuffs at the wrist to keep the cuffs from hanging too far down with arms at one's side.

For years I typically wore t-shirts (mostly 50/50 blends) with shorts. Now, after some skin cancer issues on my head and arms, I sport a bona-fide sunshirt w/ a hood. That will change to some degree this year now that I finally have a wide brimmed straw hat. The hat will allow me to go back to a long sleeved nylon fishing shirt. I have a bunch that I acquired over the years from both LL Bean and Columbia.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Last edited:
I have an old LL Bean button-down river shirt, which is my absolute favorite but they don't make anything like it anymore. Upper back panel overlaps the bottom back panel with a mesh connection sewn in allowing for it to breath, plus long sleeves and good small flush pockets up front. Best of all, it has a doubled-over collar that unfolds higher in the rear with an extra flap that reaches up to my hair line, covering the whole back of my neck from the sun. My wide-brim paddling hat doesn't always cast enough shade for the back of my neck and this extra-tall collar covers the gap. I wish more shirts had this feature but I've never seen it anywhere else! I'm traveling now but can take a picture and post it later in the hopes that this forum might help me find another.

On the subject of sun coverage, how many of you wear paddling gloves? I do wear a fingerless paid for the sun protection because I don't like sunscreen on my hands (too slippery).

Merino short sleeves, usually one or two. No pockets, just clean and simple. A lightweight, vented long sleeve button up for sun protection and fast drying. Brands vary. Usually bring a lightweight to midweight fleece or a wool blend flannel for cooler nights. Typically don’t bring much clothing with me other than what ill need

As referenced above, here's my favorite river shirt. Hoping someone can help me track down any brand with the same feature: an extra collar flap. It covers the top of my neck for sun protection when a wide brim hat doesn't quite cast a long enough shadow. I'm not yet a proficient enough seamstress to tackle it myself, though I suppose it probably wouldn't be too difficult.

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

Subject.png

I look like Robin...

In the warmer times, I like a tan-colored nylon fishing shirt... doesn't really matter what brand... current one might be Columbia or PFG? I've also used CampMor and many others over the years. The main point is that I like a gusseted shoulder joint, a ventilated flap/yoke on the back, a normal collar (and you'd be amazed at how convoluted a collar with velcro fasteners can get), two-button sleeves so you can close it tighter, a middle button under the forearm to make rolling it up easier, and good chest pockets. I prefer buttons. I like when there's a little zippered pocket behind the left one. I also like when there's a little loop for tying off my compass or GPS on that left pocket as well. Oh, and long tails, preferably down about even with the pants crotch.

In cooler weather, I have a red plaid light fleece shirt. By itself, no wind, it's good into the mid 60s if I'm moving around outdoors. With a windbreaker or rain jacket over top, it's good into the 50s. I have another thicker one, blue cotton shell, lined with fleece, for 30s-40s, and another blue one with a thick pile lining that, with the wind breaker, will get me into the 20s-30s.

The red fleece one is good in the Adirondacks in late April and early October.

Screenshot_20190916-113446.jpg

I usually wear shirts made for running.

Lightweight stretchy fabric that is comfortable and drys quickly. Years of triathlons and marathons I got two dresser drawers full. Most races you sign up for give you these technical shirts with their logo and sponsors on it.

Back