• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Photo of the day

Yes. Mountain run-off is significant in spring. By August levels are getting lower. The following link is a page that reflects the annual flow where this photo was taken. The flow on the photo is perhaps 50 cms (cubic metres per second). This section of the Bow has a nice flow between 40-70 cms.

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/ap...ionID=RBOWBANF

As a solo paddler I find shuttles to be the most logistically challenging part of most trips. I always, on a trip of any length, take care of the shuttle prior to running the river. Actually getting in the boat and paddling downstream is a sort of reward for having worked out the shuttle. Amtrak, bike, hitchhiking, walking the tracks, hiding boat and gear in strange spots, studying the route, securing the bike at the train depot, driving all night in a sort of hazy dream: it all starts to feel like a grand adventure after a while, such that I now sort of see the shuttle as part of the experience the river has to offer:

DSCF0785.JPG

Playing at the foot of Bow Falls on the Bow river; it's very near the Banff Springs Hotel. Caribou S. IMG_2156.jpg

DSCN4924.JPG
The road trip was a bust as far as canoeing goes but I did find one of Robin's favorite fry pans in an antique shop in Colorado so I figured I had better buy one and see what they are all about.

For Mr. Dodd, who may not be having Winter yet.

We just finished 24 hours of a 40mph south wind that brought more snow and buried the fire pit area. It took 20 minutes of digging to just "find" the fire pit itself and another 20 minutes to get it all dug out. Mind you, wind driven snow is pretty hard so we got plenty of blocks to build up and make it cozier in there. The snow drift behind the pit is 4 1/2 feet deep now.

Found it!
Found it!.jpg

Fresh split Manitoba Maple
January Fire.jpg

Then Christy decided we needed a weenie roast.
Weenie Roast.jpg

What else are we to do when the water is frozen?

You crazy Manitoban kids! Building snow forts with fireplaces. Cooking weenies and mak'n hotdogs in the way outdoors.
Sure looks fun.

Yahoo, look at them cold handles...I can smell the bacon and home fries from here...very nice!

fetch

That big one on the bottom is as good as it gets,

No Title

No canoes in this picture! The tall ship is the Norwegian training ship Statsraad Lehmkuhl. In the background is the Pride of Baltimore. Picture taken Nov 4 when we paddled out to welcome them to Baltimore Harbor.

Attachments

• photo3625.jpg
    photo3625.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
Take your pick.

Fun

No fun

There is 440 feet of unplowed dirt drive up the hill between my truck and the road. Come on spring.

So maybe I have a little time left to get my affairs in order before a visit from the Canyon Fairy. My last request, please make it on a monday, not a friday.

Just going through some SD cards. Saw this one.
I had washed a bunch of canoes, and lined them up for a shot, and this Robin popped into the picture. I must have covered up his nest
IMG_0305_zps7igzwa3n.jpg

Jim

Back