• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Photo of the day

Thank you. Reading some of your old posts I am wondering how you are coming along. Like you, I have some new physical issues that are threatening my trip plans. We will have to see.

:eek: I have camped at two places on that lake. Right in front of me. Of course I can't find the tongs in the silverware drawer either.

I didn't know that was Lila either!!
Somehow, I got the impression that seuss is from the mid west...I assumed that was a photo of the BWCA, or someplace like that.
Maybe if I looked more closely, I could have picked out Blue Mt in the background,

I can't put them side by side but use your imagination...

996875_520187454715053_255727749_n.jpg

972243_520187481381717_1654785104_n.jpg

995728_520187501381715_1907293022_n.jpg

I can't see Blue Mt in Seuss' picture, but you can in mine. It's the flat top peak almost in line with the channel between Spruce and Buck Islands.

Last edited:
It is interesting how perspective changes perception and understanding.

I spent a fair deal of my youth navigating by memory without a map or compass. I taught myself to look for key features to identify the landscape despite differences in perspective.

Its a small thing, but when I am paddling on a lake, and if I know that I will need to return to my point of departure, I am in the habit of stopping every so often and looking back to see how it will look when I return. Many people don't think to do that. But if you have ever been lost, in the woods or on a body of water, you don't forget the experience and it teaches you to take the time necessary to prevent getting lost again. It is very easy to get confused, especially on a body of water, when you are trying to return to a place of departure. It happens to the best of us. A map gives us a different perspective than we have without a map and it improves our understanding of the land or water scape.

Its the same in music. If you think about the strings and the fretboard from a different perspective it gives you a different understanding of the instrument. So, if you play a scale all the time from bass to treble and then one day you play it instead from treble to bass, over and over, it gives you a different, fuller, understanding of the intervals between the notes of the scale. And if you play the same scale only at a different spot on the fretboard, it gives you yet another perspective and deeper understanding. Same in navigation. If you have paddled to a place from more then one direction it gives you a different perspective and a better understanding.

Might be getting a little off track here - but those pictures got me thinking about it. Plus it happened to me today on a walk in the woods - I got twisted around for a minute. Not a comfortable feeling.

Last edited:
No Title

I can't put them side by side but use your imagination...

My imagination causes me enough trouble as it is - how about I just put them side by side?

I never saw that shade of blue when I was up there. Then again, having been born and raised in western NY (sorry Stripperguy, not midwest) I probably wouldn't have recognized it as "sky." Fortunately, as I now live in NC (sorry again Stripperguy, still not midwest) I have come to learn that that is called "Carolina Blue" and is God's way of showing he's a Tarheel fan.

Attachments

• photo1098.jpg
    photo1098.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
My imagination causes me enough trouble as it is - how about I just put them side by side?

I never saw that shade of blue when I was up there. Then again, having been born and raised in western NY (sorry Stripperguy, not midwest) I probably wouldn't have recognized it as "sky." Fortunately, as I now live in NC (sorry again Stripperguy, still not midwest) I have come to learn that that is called "Carolina Blue" and is God's way of showing he's a Tarheel fan.

Nice stitch seuss, thanks!

Re: Blue Sky. Boy, I've lived in Western, NY my entire life and I always recognize that blue sky. For whatever reason I seem to have incredible luck in the Adirondacks, but I don't mind if it rains or if it's grey. I have trouble getting other people to come out and play if the weather is sketchy though...

Hey, I visited NC a few years ago and was impressed with some of the scenery, very Adirondack like, especially around Asheville.

Now, back to Lila...if only I had paid attention...Blue Mt has an unmistakeable profile, and ends up in everyone's photos from the cliffs...Here it is in one of my photos at the right

DSC_0053.JPG

And here is a view a bit closer, towards the High Peaks...

DSC_0054.JPG

and

DSC_0055.JPG

And just for fun, here is a link to a site that helps to identify ANY view from ANY location

http://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.0073&lng=-74.7775&ele=623

Here's a fun pic. I love to see this sign after a long car ride. I'm sure most of you will recognize this one. For those who don't...its Algonquin Parks busiest entrance gate.
P8090063.JPG

and the people watching from the restaurant is incredible. But I am still unclear on the $ side? Currency exchange? Or should it be a $ with wings as in all your money can fly away here..

^^^ I have tried venturing down a few of those roads before. ^^^

Here is a shot of a wine serving table along the Milk River in Southern Alberta.

IMG_0041-XL.jpg

163.jpg

I didn't get to paddle here but it's an amazing place. Tioga Lake, Yosemite

No Title

morning paddle on Misty Lake

Attachments

• photo1112.jpg
    photo1112.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 1
Back