• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Ordering epoxy during cold weather

Reaction score
OK guys just wondering here, with the weather getting colder and temp dipping below freezing over a large part of the country - is it safe to order epoxy? Do freezing temperatures affect epoxy? Chances are it'll sit in cold weather somewhere between the shipper and my shop. Started a strip canoe and I'd really like to finish it before spring.

Thanks John R.

I ordered system three during the coldest part of the winter. -30 to -40. The hardener arrived fine, but the resin was frozen either completely or partially. (I had five separate gallons) It had a white crystaline texture. I called system three, they told me if i sat it in a tub of hot water it would return to its original texture. For the most part, it did, but there was still gloopy white crap floating around in it, and if it got the least bit cold, like below 40 degrees farenheit, it would kick off again. Don't know how other resins fair, but that was general purpose system three.

I've ordered RAKA many times in the dead of winter. never had a problem, as mem above mentioned, the resin can crystallize if kept cold for some time. Unlike mem above, I have had no problems getting the resin crystals back into solution, just heat it for a while at 120F or so, and it magically returns to its previous clear liquid state.
I've had some RAKA resins hanging outside for 1-1/2 years, looking terrible, all white and nearly solid. After heating and stirring, again, like magic. BTW, after these resin resurrections, I have not had any problems with the cure, or strength, or adhesion of the resin.

Depending on where you live ? The Ozarks ? No Problem.
Here in Iowa, I don't like to order in Mid Winter, but a few years back, RAKA ran a year end special, I ordered some with no problems !

Jim

Back