• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Old Town Penobscot Models?

I was far less fond of the Penobscot 16 as a tandem, certainly not as a tripping tandem unless carrying two lightweight paddlers and light gear.

Back when it was a tandem I had two paddlers in my P16 on a lake daytrip. Not supersized paddlers, but not skinny guys either; the bow paddler was a bit heavier than the stern paddler. It was comical.

Not sure why someone would tandem-ize a Penobscot 15, seems a b*st*rdization of good solo canoe.

I love my P16, my first canoe (I was pretty dedicated to sea kayaks before). It was bought with a third seat and aluminum gunnels, making it a wonderful solo boat. I struggled with two people on longer trips and traveling heavy (cooler, lots of gear) and was envious of of others in OT Trippers. Then a strip built Gil Gilpatrick 18’6” white guide canoe came into my life. I love it but too heavy.

The most recent trip with the P16 was last weekend on the St. John river solo, packed very light. 72 hrs from Baker lake to Allagash and barely a drop of water shipped! I love my Penobscot 16!

That is a good place for a large solo small tandem. Volume counts on big water rivers. 72 hours? You need a speeding ticket! That must be paddling time. Did you run Big Black and Big?

That is a good place for a large solo small tandem. Volume counts on big water rivers. 72 hours? You need a speeding ticket! That must be paddling time. Did you run Big Black and Big?

I just posted my trip report under American rivers. 72 hours from getting dropped off to getting back to my car!