• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Okefenokee NWR

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
I was lucky enough to get away for a few days with my wife to paddle and camp in the Okefenokee NWR a week or so ago. We met up with our friends, Joy & Chip Campbell who are the owner/operators of "Okefenokee Adventures," which is the official partner of the US Fish & Wildlife Service for the refuge. Chip is a walking, talking, paddling encyclopedia of the swamp and typically guides their trips. Joy is their business manager and former guide herself. In the past I've typically brought my college students to the refuge for trips so we all appreciated that this would be a recreational trip for each of us instead of the usual working type excursion.

We left the Suwannee Canal area and paddled westward towards Round Top; which would be our campsite for the evening. Along the way we were treated to a great number of bird sightings. The first one was a Rosette Spoonbill...

002.JPG
007.JPG

From here we proceeded down the canal and came upon a Wood Stork...
022.JPG
023.JPG

After a break at mile 3
014.JPG
015.JPG
017.JPG

We headed off to Round Top. Round Top is located out on the Chase Prairie. As soon as you leave the protection of the canal you're open to the breezes and sun beating down on you. I've only paddled here now during the spring and fall but I can only imagine how hot it must be during the warmer months. Sunscreen and economy of motion are truly you're best friends when out on the open prairies. One great thing about being in the prairies is the diversity of plants and animals you'll see along the way. We were able to get up close to some interesting pitcher plants as well as a variety of sunflower. Along the way the scenery was all sunshine and blue sky.

031.JPG
027.JPG
067.JPG
072.JPG
079.JPG

If you've never paddled or camped in the Okefenokee please note that while there are a few land based campsites, most of the camping locations are actually platforms. Built up over the high water mark, these platforms give you a stable place to pitch your tents, cook your meals and, when the mosquitos aren't biting, enjoy the night sky from the comfort of their benches. Each platform has a picnic table and a vault toilet that uses a wind turbine to keep the smell down. All of these sites also seem to have their own resident alligator who will hang out nearby. While it's illegal to feed animals in the refuge, it's obvious from their behavior that these gators have all been fed at one time or another. It's too bad too because it can sometimes lead to the elimination of the animal when they become too aggressive; which is what happened to a gator called One Eyed Jack when he charged me and another student during our trip in March, 2014.

SIDE NOTE: Not long ago someone wrote about the resident gator at Round Top and referred to it as being One Eyed Jack. Since Jack was the resident gator around Coffee Bay for over 20 years, it's not the same one.

035.JPG
043.JPG
039.JPG
053.JPG

The next morning we took off for Canal Run and the platform back on the canal. The wind was a bit brisk at times and fighting through the lily pads and low water was challenging at times but not a deal breaker. Along the way we took in the Broccoli Tree (a local landmark) and enjoyed another sun filled day.

056.JPG
059.JPG
075.JPG
083.JPG

Once back in the canal all the trees made for a darker environment so I didn't get any other photos. After setting up camp we continued to paddle westward down Canal Run towards Billy's Island. We knew we didn't have enough daylight to get there and back but Chip wanted to show us where the point was that all digging ceased on the original attempt to build a canal; just about at mile 11. It's very obvious, if you know what you're looking for, to see where an earthen berm was built to create a dam so as to hold the water back. At this point he hasn't discovered whether the dam was purposely destroyed or if the wooden boards just rotted out but either way, eventually the water flowed back into the original streambed where you can still paddle it today down to Billy's Island and out to the western side of the refuge at Steven Foster State Park.

That night we enjoyed another beautiful dinner and evening under the stars. Two barred owls were very vocal and when things began to quiet down I'd send out a call to get them talking again. It's always great to hear the variety of sounds these wonderful birds can make. We didn't stay up too late that evening because we still had a 10 mile paddle back the next day before my wife and I had to head back to Jacksonville for an early morning plane the day after. Because of that, and the increase in wind, I didn't spend time taking photos on the way back but suffice to say, it was a very enjoyable trip. After putting away some gear we said our good-byes and headed off. Hopefully in the future Chip & Joy will be traveling up our way and we'll be able to repay them with some time in our B&B and on our local waters. I can't wait until then.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Very nice pix and TR.. We will be in SC in Mid November but alas with a dog( 0r maybe we can ditch the dog and do an ONWR trip). I have only done Mizell Prairie from the Canal as a day trip. I know more about the western part.

Here is Joy and Chips website http://www.okefenokeeadventures.com/

Are they the folks who have an inexpensive campground just outside the Park?

And here is the map for map lovers ( I am one)

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/OkeMapSide(1).pdf

This time it finally hit me how close Floyds Island is to Round Top. I like and have camped at Floyds. I came in from Minnies Lake and wondered where the portage trail on Floyds led to.. now the lightbulb went off! Are there restrictions on overnight camping now? There were some two years ago.

Tell me more! I have been in ONWR but its a land of change like the boreal.

YC - Thanks for your comments. The campground immediately outside the entry road to the refuge is Okefenokee Pastimes and it's a different operation, run by another local couple. I've never stayed there myself as I really like staying down at Trader's Hill prior to my trips. While Trader's Hill isn't fancy, there are bathrooms, showers and a nice covered picnic pavilion that we've used during multiple rainstorms over the years. The camping area is located just up the hill from a boat launch on the St. Marys River. Lots of old oaks and Spanish moss to give you that great southern feel.

As for Floyds Island, at the moment you can only approach it from the west. The access closest to Round Top is currently cut off due to tree damage. Chip says it looks like a bunch of pick-up sticks were dropped over the area. He did say the refuge was planning to go in this winter to finally cut it out and open up the access so it should be a viable option again sometime in 2016.

The one time I drew a permit that allowed me to go from Round Top to Floyds I remember the paddle as being fairly short; less than 6 miles between the two. It actually worked out well because a couple of folks in our group were dragging a bit from having paddled the 12 miles the day before. Having a short day, and then an island to walk around on and explore (along with the cabin), made for a good second day. The last day we headed out to Minnie's Lake and made a stop at Billy's Island before heading out at Steven Foster. All in all, that was a really enjoyable trip.

Regarding restrictions on overnight camping, the regulation remains in place that you can only camp in each location for one night at a time. You also get your permit now on-line through a website, Recreation.gov. Currently the Coffee Bay site has been put back to day use status only; it had been an overnight site for at least 10 years. Monkey Lake is now an overnight site (was a day use site prior to the change) and there is a new overnight sight at what was a day use shelter only two years ago out on the Mizell Prairie. The day use shelters between Maul Hammock and Big Water haven't been rebuilt yet from the last round of fires so you should expect to be in your canoe all day between those two camping platforms. Other than that, I think things are pretty much the same. You might want to check out the US Fish & Wildlife Service's website for other changes to the operation: http://www.fws.gov/refuge/okefenokee/

That's all for now. Take care and thanks for your comments. Until next time...be well.

snapper

Back