• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New member from Minnesota

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Thank you very much for the wonderful forum, respectful discussion and vast experience.
I, with my fiancé/paddling partner, live in Alexandria, Minnesota which is the "central lakes area" of Minnesota.
I started in my youth with canoeing. We have spent all of our paddling time in kayaks: QCC 700 and 600X singles and NDK Triton tandem. We have done many day paddles on the lakes of west central, northwest, central and north central Minnesota. Our extended trips include Birch Lake of northeast Minnesota, Voyageur's National Park, BWCA, Hiawatha Water Trail on Lake Superior and some paddling in NW Washington and northern Idaho.
We have a new Wenonah Minnesota II coming this spring. With the canoe we hope to expand our horizons to see more of the BWCA, Quetico, Woodland Caribou, etc.
Thanks again and I look forward to learning a great deal.
Dennis and Twyla

Welcome Dennis and Twyla !
I too have found this site respectful and informative ! And exciting !

Be careful that you don't get talked into building a canoe ! Ha!

Enjoy your canoe, but I would put a few scratches on it before going to the BWCA, that way you can get all the crying out of the way BEFORE you go ! Just kidding !
I 'm really looking forward to going again this year !

Jim

Hi Jim:
Thank you very much for the welcome and message.
I have built one strip boat in the past. It was fun, satisfying and is out of my system!
I know what you mean about the first scratch, it is nerve wracking. Have a great spring and BW trip.
Thanks again.

Hi Dennis, Welcome, lucky you to live in such a great paddling area, after I restore a wood canvas canoe, I always dread that first scratch, thens it's all good from there on in,
Good luck with your future plans.
Robin

Dennis and Twyla,
Any photos from your trips? And maybe even a trip report, I'm itching to go on a vicarious trip.
I always enjoy seeing what the paddling looks like in different parts of the country, most all of my paddling is in the Adirondacks.
I, too know about those first few scratches, better to get it over with, I say!
Whenever I finish a new boat, first thing I do is drag it across my driveway!
I even extend the courtesy to my friends boats, cars, motorcycles....you, know, to ease their apprehension...

Lastly, welcome aboard.

Welcome Dennis and Twyla,

You seem to be well set for your new adventures. Excellent choice of canoe for your proposed lake country travel. Many are jealous of you being so close to all that canoe country.

Welcome to another MN adventurer! Have fun breaking in your new canoe - this May will see me extending my overnight streak of BWCA trips to 50 years.

Hi and thanks everyone.
I am totally impressed and in awe of wide variety of people, their skills and accomplishments.
Congratulations BWCA66 I hope the streak continues on a good while longer.
My first BWCA trip was at 14 with a Scout leader who had been tripping there for 25 plus years. His last trip was in his eighties.
I will try to get some trip reports posted of some of our day paddles and extended trips. Although I am humbled by what I have seen as far as everyone's experiences, I hope that I can share some fresh places and knowledge.

Back