• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

"Mighty" Dease River, British Columbia, 2003

I had a lot of help along the way, Bruce. I have to have pictures. The group Chilliwack had a line in one of their songs: “If there ain’t no audience, there just ain’t no show.”

That’s how I feel about pictures. If there ain’t no images, then I just ain’t got no trip report.

That’s how I feel about pictures. If there ain’t no images, then I just ain’t got no trip report.

I agree. It takes good text AND good pictures to make a great trip report. The pictures make it feel more real and relatable. Glad everything is back on track!

Alan

Friday, July 25 (Me)

Everyone slept until the light roused them—all on their own good time. The perfect way to begin a new day in the warm light flowing over the eastern ridge above Dease Lake.

Willie had already started the fire, and had boiled water for tea by the time I reached our kitchen next to Dease Creek. Shortly after I presented tea to Kathleen in the tent, she joined me at the fire to share our first bannock of the journey. How satisfying and good it always tastes!

Even though working leisurely, the Adventurers were on the water shortly before 10:00 a.m. We progressed down Dease Lake, enjoying the benefit of a slight tail wind. Willie and Pierre stroked more casually today, and seem to be settling in to life in a canoe.

dease018.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease018.jpg Views:	0 Size:	486.8 KB ID:	99346

Willie and Pierre stroking casually on Dease Lake on our second day.

dease019.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	429.1 KB ID:	99348

Taking a break from paddling on our second day on Dease Lake.

Lunch at Porter Landing provided an opportunity to explore a variety of buildings, with Allana serving as guide for four tours. It was great to share her enthusiasm, as she easily skipped up the bank overgrown with thick fireweed.

dease013.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	626.7 KB ID:	99349
Allana and me at Porter Landing.

"Come this way," she called out to wayward tour participants. "Look at this patch of Delphinium! Do you see that beaver pelt under the table? This building must have been the chicken coop!"

Porter Landing, our intended destination for the day, offered no suitable camping for a party of 10 with 4 tents. Only slightly disappointed, we climbed back into our canoes and paddled around the bend, where current flowed gently through the outlet of Dease Lake. We had successfully completed Dease Lake without being windbound. Cheryl must be happy about this. I know I am. Potential wind on Dease Lake comprised one of my major concerns about this trip.

dease016.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	636.2 KB ID:	99350

Resting at Porter Landing before moving on, looking for a better campsite.

A few minutes later we set up camp on another excellent gravel bar on river left. Only 3:00 in the afternoon. Plenty of time to relax and enjoy the afternoon. Cheryl and Greg prepared a great spaghetti dinner, followed by an even more delicious trifle—a fantastic surprise!

During a break between the entrée and dessert, Pierre read from his journal for Day One. An excellent summary that captured the mood of the first day on Dease Lake, as well as the mood of our newest paddlers. Don and Laura then sang an original song of our Dease River Adventure, set to the tune of "Oh Suzanna." I hope they sing it again, with even more verses. It could become an anthem by the time we reach Four Mile Rapids.

Willie and Allana both caught Arctic Grayling tonight. Allana was tremendously pleased, running at full speed back to camp for the video camera. Willie appeared nonchalant; but appearances can often be deceiving.

It is now just before 10:00 p.m.. Still quite light, with a cool breeze drifting through our tent. Soft, muted voices float across the camp. Voices that sound content, rested, and relaxed.

Last night a splashing in Dease Creek disturbed our sleep at 3:45 a.m. Lots of noise in the water at night always rings the bear alarm bell. Kathleen and I stepped outside to investigate, and were relieved to see the tall form of a moose silhouetted against the dim light. Tonight, hopefully, will be quieter. Like last night, we look forward to hearing only the low calls of owls hunting for prey, in what must seem to them the very short hours of summer darkness.

Tonight's camp sits on moving water. Tomorrow should be much easier than the past two days of hard, steady paddling on Dease Lake.

dease024.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	711.2 KB ID:	99351

We set up camp on a gravel beach just where “The Mighty Dease River” flowed out of Dease Lake.

dease032.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	529.7 KB ID:	99352
Drummond's Dryad prefers gravelly sites.

dease021.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	460.5 KB ID:	99353
Cheryl and Greg preparing spaghetti, followed by trifle.

dease027.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease027.jpg Views:	0 Size:	834.4 KB ID:	99354
Owens catches Arctic Grayling.

dease029.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	582.2 KB ID:	99355

Dease River Adventurers enjoy the evening at the outlet of Dease Lake.

dease025.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease025.jpg Views:	0 Size:	559.5 KB ID:	99356
Resting comfortably for the night in our tents.

Friday, July 25; Day 2 (Sean)

Today started tastefully with my mom’s wonderful dutch oven-made bannock. After we broke camp I was eager to get a taste of moving water on Dease Creek; however, my taste was short lived due to my mom’s calls of concern. As promptly as the group embarked, we hauled out to investigate an interesting object. Upon closer observation by my dad, it was a steam powered machine of some sort. Our plan to set camp at Laketon. With Laketon in sight and with ill prospect, a worry made me tremble at the estimate of how much further we have to go. As quickly as my worry came it burst into sheer joy. Camp was set up just seconds from the lake on the river. With pretty much nothing to do, the evening was relaxing. My sister caught three fish; however she lost two. For me, I just took pictures using the knowledge I obtained from Don. Went fishing with my sister and then went swimming.

Attachments

• dease019.jpg
    dease019.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Saturday, July 26 (Me)

We paddled down The Mighty Dease River shortly after 9:00 a.m, happy in the sun and warmth, excited by moving water. This upper stretch of the Dease is filled with twists and turns, with threatening log jams and sweepers often piled up on the outside bends.

Don and Laura descended first, followed by us, Willie and Pierre, and then Sean, with Cheryl, Greg and Allana providing sweep. The run went very well, as Willie and Pierre truly excelled at setting over to the inside bend, particularly considering the Dease is the first river they had ever paddled together. True adventurers! Only once did they ask to be separated—on a bend that required a ferry followed by a quick eddy turn. One too many moves for new paddlers, as well as for my anxiety about their safety.

Kathleen sterned with Willie, and I bowed with Pierre. Moments later we all stood on a sandy beach, safely below the offending log jam. Don tossed a piece of drift wood into the river so that Sean and Greg could practice tossing throw bags at a pretend swimmer. The wood (or swimmer) floated serenely away, as both throws fell just slightly short of the mark, despite being quite accurate. Practice will only make us better.

Back in our boats we continued down The Mighty Dease River. Willie and Pierre now looked strong and very comfortable. Willie's draw and Pierre's sweep are much improved, and they follow Kathleen and me with no difficulty. This is going well!

After lunch on a welcome, although very narrow gravel bar, we paddled onward to Goathorn Creek, our intended camp for tonight. This part of the journey, however, is not going as hoped. We have seen absolutely no potential camping site since leaving this morning. Willows and alders grow densely right down to the water's edge, even at the mouth of Goathorn Creek.

We continued down river. Maybe Anvil Lake will offer camping suitable for 4 tents. We scooted into Anvil Lake—so picturesque and petite. No camping, though. Through the outlet we drifted, eventually rafting up for a gorp snack as we paddled toward Joe Irwin Lake. Absolutely no camping on The Mighty Dease River as we floated past a forest that continued to be thick and impenetrable.

dease121.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	402.5 KB ID:	99380
Kathleen and Me in the upper Mighty Dease River.

Around 4:00 p.m. we floated beneath the bridge that carried the traffic of Highway 37 across The Mighty Dease River. We drifted around the bend to gaze upon open fields, cabins, and RVs parked at the Dease River Crossing Campground. Don and I walked up to the office, where Lana quoted a price of $25.00 for all 10 of us, plus an additional $3.00 per shower. The Dease River Adventurers accepted enthusiastically, like voyageurs arriving at a trading post!

We were certainly happy to find this place to camp, the only available spot since this morning. The amenities of hot showers and a picnic table were also welcomed by most of the Adventurers. Only the incessant, overbearing generator 50 metres (50 yards) away marred our experience.

We have enjoyed a pleasant day, even if somewhat tiring mentally for me. I continue to worry about Willie and Pierre capsizing, or being swept into a log jam, two of my main concerns about the trip. Thirty-three km (21 miles) gained today—8 km (5 miles) more than originally planned. Tomorrow should be an easier day; hopefully, we'll find a nice campsite suitable for our planned layover day. Dennis in the campground office suggested that there was a good camping spot opposite a large snye.

Saturday, July 26; Day 3 (Allana)

Today my mom made chocolate bannock; it was yummy, mmm. And then I watched everyone pack up and I pushed my brother into the water. The river was easy but there was not a lot of camp spots. And then we found this place and didn’t know what it was. So we asked the lady if we could camp here and she said yes but we had to pay. We could use the showers too but that would cost more. We then met a nice dog named Gus and he was very kindly and I liked him a lot. He let me play with him. He even lay down so I could rub his tummy. And today was a very very fun day. Laura and Don made dinner. It was really good. We had salad coleslaw and sloppy joes, cheese and bread rolls. For desert we had cheese cake—mmm it was good. Then I played for a while on the swings. Then it was time for my shower. Then I played some more. Then it was time to go to bed. ZZZ!

dease036.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.9 KB ID:	99381
Sunday morning in the Dease River Crossing campground.

dease037.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	383.9 KB ID:	99382
Dease River Adventurers enjoying breakfast the the Dease River Crossing Campground.

dease034.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	dease034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	399.7 KB ID:	99383
Cheryl preparing to leave the Dease River Crossing Campground.

Last edited:
Am enjoying this journey so far! I will admit I did have to look up the meaning of Snye! I am not familiar with that word but now will find an excuse to use it! I'm looking forward to the next installment!

dougd

fqOc6KVXALV_CoKR7D9yaUgQpJEcmhSs74mtud6wwRXAavGTVqQtxUw1ZoMuSoLiCdpBqcgBiy-VLNtsZ_bT9_RWLGHBLOwGPFvqzA5iknih1qwCPbKQtar4t1Oxatd4psMfqpfpzl_gvObYbzY936XHg80U8Z7D1Tow4Agff6LRR5k52BpQZex7EWXS5nK1ZOoWASIALngBWRejSsenvJj9dEjLwRJJ0Wsa-hIyltajzjYcFp1AitRxad5M50CH7RBzId2q5vw0lbb9y3I5r01kImSH2at9_aWyVIGm41NW4uaJI7LZyXKTV9AUY5yaZTSE4hn7kfF4PaxhiH8AxJUxOELkUdyf_LptUI2qAnD7Ze_qbFSILLD_2vq9qgmg9xDyp9H0lUcBI_-ixahKGZrIKDofOYlIyV5Uh4RfwwqixS0XFKU89OAgVSV3FLvp_5CoCPE1cTK5gbXWeUwuzlQqrWo6MfVRySjuuSmTZkHxMtV9UzvbIXeGEyeClSOC6y7eZWZC1c45GGTu3PF8ieDFcy1yugZql6Nsk_pXb8LwivxJb4l-ry-rGG2T3LCR_h1lmdgC3qmgrm6mMosWMmEvHQJrYQvdJ_JHklVWZVY3LWtPRtuuzCAaEq8DaxPU2_onNLB0MoHVTFjoIYXnO05_Th_hTq56P5228B-J2JDsntSEMWz40iE=w462-h304-no

Does this image appear?

Not for me

Sunday, July 27 (Me)

Smatterings of rain during the night. Windy and grey at breakfast. Two generators dominated my senses. By the end of bannock breakfast I could feel myself tensing against the sound, speaking loudly to make myself heard. I gotta get out of here. By 8:45 a.m. the Dease River Adventurers set off— north—down Joe Irwin Lake—thankful for the hospitality of Dennis and Lana, but looking forward to leaving the Stewart-Cassiar Highway behind.

The sky alternated between brilliant sunshine and gentle drizzle. An enjoyable morning as we paddled silently through a pristine Pine Tree Lake, whose shores were graced by a single cabin and a solitary moose. Swallows and terns darted and swooped above.

dease040.jpg
Cheryl, Allana and Greg in their canoe. Sean in his Kayak. On Pine Tree Lake.

dease039.jpg
Owens and Pierre on Pine Tree Lake.

Immediately below the lake's outlet we encountered the Pine Rapids, approximately 2 km (1.2 miles) upstream from where they were marked on the topographic maps. A white chute of foam with no rocks. I glanced back at Willie and Pierre, who were right behind, with an excellent angle to run. Down the rapid we went, running along the eddy line to avoid the boils and whirlpools in the eddy itself—Willie and Pierre still hot on our tail. Moments later, at the end of the drop, our new paddlers from California could now claim the Pine as their first Class 1-2 rapids.

dease039.jpg
We pulled out for a break below the Pine Rapids.

dease039.jpg
Dease River Adventurers enjoying a break below Pine Rapids. Don in the foreground. Laura far left.

dease039.jpg
Pierre and Owens looking smug after having just run the Pine Rapids.

We then sauntered through Cotton Lake, not even tempted by the sign that exhorted us to purchase chips and pop and tackle. Maybe the hardest part of the day is over, as apparently no one has ever even seen the impending Cottonwood Rapids since R. M. Patterson soloed through them in 1948 -- "Ghost Rapids," as Greg refers to them.

Ghost rapids or not, though, there they were, just below the confluence of the Cottonwood River, again approximately 2 km (1.2 miles) upstream from where they were marked on our topographic maps. We eddied out at the mouth of the Cottonwood to scout.

We pushed our way down the left bank, covered in thick brush and shrouded with the deadfall of a previous wildfire. Allana fairly skipped over and under these barriers that thwarted the adult members of our entourage.

Standing at the bottom of the drop, we agreed that the Cottonwood rapids could be easily run with a slight rearrangement of paddlers: Don with Pierre, Kathleen with Laura, and me with Willie. After a quick lunch we shoved off the gravel bar, headed toward river right, cruised past Patterson's "rocks like Destroyers," and eddied out on the outside bend. Congratulations all around. Still one more drop to go. Mostly haystacks and a few scattered rocks. No problem for our now much more experienced group.

We continued down The Mighty Dease River, and soon eddied out at the top of the island where Cottonwood Rapids are actually marked on the topographic maps. Open gravel at the head of the island, with forest at the toe. Unlimited, beautiful camping sites, the first we had found since leaving Dease Lake two days ago. Just where Dennis at the Dease River Crossing campground had said they would be. Almost heaven.

The Adventurers relaxed around the dinner fire, made even warmer and more comfortable with wine and smoked oysters provided by Greg, Cheryl, Sean and Allana. We raised our glasses to toast the paddling accomplishments of Willie and Pierre, who were inducted into the fabled "Order of Voyageurs," marked by the solemn presentation of Canadian flag emblems.

In the tent that night I felt calm and relaxed. Two of the five marked rapids have been completed without mishap. No more rapids wait for us for at least three days. Our group is strong, compatible, and gaining experience with each passing day. I'm thoroughly enjoying the trip.

Sunday, July 27; Day 4 (Kathleen)

Day four and we have not needed a tarp so far. This morning was cloudy with a few smatterings of rain. Camping at a commercial camp/RV site is not my idea of wilderness but this is the only open flat place we saw all day. The owners, Dennis and Lana are truly nice people and offered us a deal, charging less than ½ the normal fees. It is always a treat to find a shower on a wilderness canoe trip, but such luxury comes at a cost; camping with RVs running generators. One generator was particularly loud and annoying. I think subconsciously that the whole group speeded up the morning rituals just to get away from the noise. Although we got up later we were on the water earlier than previous days.

Towards the end of Joe Irwin Lake we lost that pulsing engine and paddled into the sounds of nature. We drifted by a cow moose feeding near the shore. We tried to identify the darting swallows, but as the clouds thickened the light faded, colours were washed out, making positive IDs difficult.

Throughout the morning we encountered short rain showers. At the outlet of Pine Tree Lake the river drops and bends causing waves and hydraulics. All members of the party easily ran this rapid.

The shoreline remains much the same as yesterday with no place to stop let alone to camp. Below Pine Tree rapids we found a small gravel beach with a wonderful large log, allowing seating for all. Most of the day Hwy. 37 was near and often we saw vehicles speeding along to ‘somewhere.’ We, however, paddle and drift peacefully down the river.

Downstream of the confluence of the Cottonwood River we could see a long rapid. We landed on a gravel bar in the mouth of the Cottonwood to scout. Walking out into The Mighty Dease River on a shallow gravel bar we could better assess this rapid. From this new vantage point we see a second small gavel bar on river left which would afford an even better perspective. Don then assembled a party to bushwhack to the gravel bar. Laura stayed at base camp to man the walkie-talkie and we were off. The growth was thick and many blow downs had to be negotiated. From the gravel bar the rapid seemed much less intimidating but as it ended in a corner which we could not see around we continued downstream. We went over, under, and along fallen tree trunks. Allana cheerfully called out ‘Now I get to be a monkey!’ We decided the rapid was best run centre left of the pour over rock then to the right. Luckily for us we found a trail for our return trip. Although we were on the only campable spot we had seen all day, we all agreed that getting the rapid behind us was the priority. The rapid was long, about ½ km (1/4 mile), and since some maneuvering would be required, we rearranged paddling partners. Don paddled stern with Pierre, Michael paddled stern with Bill and I paddled stern with Laura. As Laura and I rounded the bend we were happy to see all the boats safely in the eddy. To our surprise the rapid continued another 100 meters (100 yards). All boats completed the rapid and we paddled on looking for camp. About 2 km (1.2 miles) later a gravel bar came into view. Don called back that we’d stop to investigate. It looked to us that he changed his mind and was paddling by. “Aren’t we even going to check it out?” we shouted. But they were merely avoiding going down the right channel and we soon found ourselves on an island of large cobbles. Further scouting revealed sandy campsites and a fire ring backed by logs— a great kitchen. The island is large and becomes more densely wooded to the north. This is a perfect home for the night and our rest day tomorrow.

Monday, July 28 (Me)

Our first rest day. Nice to get up without needing to break camp and pack up. A leisurely bannock breakfast followed by laundry and attempts to catch fish for dinner. The river was cranking by on all sides of the island. Willie, Pierre and I did the best we could, but did not succeed at inducing even a single strike among us. We had fun, though, casting our lures into the water and retrieving them from the tops of bank-side alders.

Back at camp for lunch—spicy beef jerky, courtesy of Pierre. Then a brief doze followed by watching Bohemian waxwings hawking for insects across the Dease River. Then, into the forest to botanize and renew acquaintances with old, familiar plant friends: heart-leaf arnica, cow's parsnip, field locoweed, prickly rose, high bush-cranberry, tall bluebell, and river beauty, all of which were in bloom or fruit.

dease039.jpg
River Beauty.

Everyone then napped in the shade or dozed in the sun, depending on personal preference. More bird watching, chess and cribbage. Then, in mid afternoon, we all strolled down to the south end of the island to practice with throw bags, an event organized by the ever-resourceful Don and Laura.

Back to the kitchen to watch Willie and Pierre preparing our dinner. Soup, followed by pasta with sautéed onions and a choice of Chinese sauces followed by Scottish shortbread. A three course meal! Quite an achievement for Willie and Pierre's first ever wilderness river dinner.

After dinner, the pace slowed considerably. We sat around the small fire, watching the mountains east of The Mighty Dease River emerge from the mid-day haze. Their peaks now stood etched in the seemingly perpetual alpine glow of a northern summer evening.

Tomorrow we paddle. It's been a long and welcome rest day; but I'm looking forward to heading down the river.

dease039.jpg
Owens getting ready to prepare dinner with Pierre.

.dease039.jpg
Kathleen (Left) and Laura (Right) lounging about on our layover day.

dease050.jpg
Scenic spot for Greg, Cheryl, Sean and Allana to spend the night.

Monday, July 28; Day 5 (Cheryl)

Oh the joy of waking up this morning and not having to jump into break camp mode. I snuck out of the tent with my family still asleep. I managed to enjoy 2 cups of coffee while they slept. The only sounds were the wind and my conversation with Bill, Pierre and Michael.

My family woke up and it was time to make pancakes with strawberries and dream whip. Not typical wilderness fare but it was delicious and appreciated. The morning passed with some laundry and clean up. The weather cooperated with a hot sun and a nice breeze.

Sean and Allana passed the morning exploring the island. Allana insisted on wearing her mosquito hat for the few mossies around, but then also wore a short sleeve T-shirt. Greg gave her a whistle and compass to wear around her neck. She looked like she was on safari. The island is beautiful and quite large. Swift current on both sides surrounds it, and mountains appear all around in the distance. Sean and Allana also found some saplings on the island that were growing bent over in different directions, and there was discussion as to how this could have happened.

In the afternoon there was some throw bag practice. There was supposed to be 3 phases:

Phase 1 -dry land practice

Phase 2- throw rope at branch floating down the river

Phase 3- throw rope at volunteer swimmer

As the sun had made us all a little lethargic, however, we only made it to phase 1. We told ourselves that the next rest day we would complete phase 2 and 3.

I felt so lethargic I went for a short nap in the tent. Napping was popular today with bodies finding lovely spots all over the island for siestas.

I woke up as dinner was called. Bill and Pierre cooked and they did not serve us pork and beans. On the contrary they impressed us with a first course of soup followed with a pasta dish that had a variety of sauce options and sautéed fresh red onions and garlic to top it off.

The day was beautiful and I felt lucky that our rest day happened to be in such a lovely spot.

Tuesday, July 29 (Me)

As usual, I woke when I heard Willie and Pierre at the kitchen. I dozed for a few minutes more, then dressed and strolled to the fire, where water was already boiling for my morning tea. This Willie and Pierre are certainly fine companions to travel with! I poured a cup for myself and took Kathleen's cup back to her in the tent.

Our group is now becoming very organized and efficient—the proverbial well-oiled machine. The paddling day began very well. I hardly worried about Willie and Pierre at all, who could likely run this section of the The Mighty Dease River all on their own. Whenever I glanced back, their boat was invariably angled toward the inside bend, where life is sweet and long. Hard to imagine that only 10 days ago these two stalwart adventurers could not perform a single paddling stroke very well at all.

Suddenly, up ahead in the lead boat, Greg and Cheryl held their paddles horizontally aloft, blades pointing to left bank, signally everyone to 'get off the river.' Log jams on the outside bend—not much room to slip past the deadheads in centre channel.

In the eddy, Don and Laura conducted a successful clinic on back ferrying, as all five boats backed down the bend on the left bank, safely descending past the log bobbing in the current only a few metres to our right. All of us handled this maneuver fairly flawlessly, including Willie and Pierre, who add new moves to their repertoire on a daily basis.

We paddled comfortably the rest of the day, although we continued to encounter log jams on the outside bends, or piled up on gravel bars at the head of shallow chutes.

Cabins appeared about 3:00 p.m, on the left bank, exactly where Dennis, of the Dease River Crossing Campground, suggested we should camp. We squeezed our boats into the 2-m opening of a snye just upstream, and strolled along the grassy bank to investigate.

A beautiful, open forest of spruce and pine adorned the site, which offered a commanding view east across the Dease River. Unfortunately the river bank was too high and steep to conveniently carry up our gear. Only a little disappointed we ferried over to the gravel bar on river right to set up camp just as the weather deteriorated.

A few spatterings of rain fell on Willie, Pierre and me as we headed up the snye in search of northern pike. In only a few casts Pierre hooked into one, while a moose looked on somewhat apprehensively. R. M. Patterson had nothing on us.

3MlW2vdOSYOrhEHe32sWPA_thumb_9f3 2.jpg
Pierre and Michael bringing home the appetizers.

Back to camp we went, with two pike. Willie and Pierre fried the fillets, smothered in garlic, onions, and lemon juice. A delicious lead up to Cheryl's excellent sweet and sour rice.

dease057.jpg
Owens cooks the pike over an open fire.

dease058.jpg
Pierre offers help and advice on cooking pike over an open fire.

dease059.jpg
Greg, Sean and Allana wait for the pike to be ready for eating.

Willie and I then ferried back over to river left to visit an old sod-roofed trapper's cabin, likely built in the 1920s. Remarkably, the interior was in reasonably good condition. I wonder what kind of people lived here so long ago and so very all alone. Were they escaping the crowded cities of southern Canada? Did they enjoy the quiet and isolation? Did they live here year-round? Did they earn their living primarily by trapping furs? Does anyone remember who they were?

dease064.jpg
Owens at old trapper’s cabin.

I retired to the tent early, around 9:00 p.m. I feel more tired tonight than at any time on the trip, which often happens on the first day after a rest day.

dease067.jpg
View to camp from old trapper’s cabin.

Tuesday, July 29; Day 6 (Don)

I could smell the cooking fires at 0640 hrs. That means either the wind (weather too) has shifted or a low pressure front has moved in. The mosquitoes are at both doors! This confirms a change in the pressure. We are up and about around 0700 hrs. I remembered some dreams from last night – unusual. It is 12C at 0710 hrs, but no one is really counting.

We are on the river by 0840 hrs. The destination is the rental cabins offered by our Dease River Crossing hosts. They are about half-way to McDame, BC, near a “blind snye.” Cheryl / Greg are in the lead with Laura / Don sweep. Kathleen / Michael and Bill / Pierre are in their usual positions with the roaming Sean running wild.

We saw a mink on river left in and out of the brush. Later, we cruised down a couple casual gravel bar drops. Several bald eagles were spotted; one flew over our rest break at 1010 hrs casting a shadow that dwarfed us all. I think it had a small horse in each talon.

There are lots of gravel bars suitable for camping along this stretch. It is mostly cloudy and occasionally sunny, but who cares about the weather. It is only the essence that surrounds us each day until we scurry into our synthetic adobes to write our little notes and lies.

We scout many bends along this stretch of water. Mostly, we scout from a distance scanning the horizon for death and destruction. Searching for the evilest of evils, the darkest of deaths, and the surest doom; I kneel down on the less-than-perfect gravel and murmur thanks for being the last boat descending into oblivion.

Earlier, we had a great view of a bald eagle spiralling down to the ground. Soon afterwards, it went to a branch and seemed to chew on something. We could not tell what it had. Later, Greg told us it snatched a fish from a small pond and was ripping into it on the branch. It was cool to watch it slowly come down. It surely was a sign, a wilderness tarot card; one that revives the future of good fishing or our demise.

At another scouting spot, there was a “learning moment” for the back ferry by Don. Everyone passed the test.

At another scouting spot, there was a ground swell of support for a lunch stop at 1205 hrs. Everyone ate.

Laura and Don saw two or three cows (moose) and one calf on the paddle down, mostly by looking back up into small streams and backwaters as we passed by. The leading group saw a cow and calf pair that spooked before we caught up.

Soon was a gut-feel vs. GPS vs. map / compass location discussion. Surely we are lost and the river is carrying us further and further from the road, our best hope of rescue and salvation. The rumour is we are 2 km (1.2 miles) to the proposed campsite.

At 1430 hrs, we found the snye and cabins. There is no easy way to get up to the camping area in front of the cabins (either from the river or the snye). So some of us use the latrine, tour the 1929 cabin, and later head over to the sand bar across the river from the cabins for camp. There are lots of tracks in the mud, including: beaver, wolf, moose, bird, and bear. There are also remnants of a lemming too.

We set up camp and soon a brief rain shower visited. Bill, Pierre, and Michael set off in two canoes in search of pike in the snye. They return at 1730 hrs, Pierre and Michael

returned each with a pike. Bill helped net one of them. The rain is now off and on. There was pike and rice for supper. Several people went on a photo shoot of the old cabin. More animal tracks are discovered and analyzed.

Low: there was no ice on the tent. (+1C for those inquiring minds that need to know)

Distance = 27 km (16.5 miles)

Location: North America, but closing in on the top of the world.

Attachments

• dease042.jpg
    dease042.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 0
This is my Friday evening entertainment, and enjoying it ! ThankS !

Children add a treat to any trip, as you see their amazement of a new found adventure ! I'm sure they were a delight !

I had to look up snye also ! I'll get some strange looks from the people I paddle with ! Ha !

Thanks !

Jim

Wednesday, July 30 (Michael)

Up late this morning, 6:30, and even then I struggled to rouse myself into activity. Don reported an overnight low of 1[SUP]0[/SUP] C (34[SUP]0[/SUP] F), which confirms why I felt a little cooler during the night.

The Dease River Adventurers set off in a slow-moving current that wound through a deep green forest. We have finally left the mostly burned over forest of the last three days. It must have been one heck-of-a fire. Perhaps this unburned forest explains why there are now almost no log jams. We simply float lazily, with no concerns, through a silent forest standing at the foot of grand mountains in all directions. Periodically an eagle flies downstream, away from our flotilla. A Red-tailed Hawk soars overhead; its thin whistle knifes eerily through the still, morning air.

dease068.jpg
Owens and Pierre provide lead boat services.

For lunch we stop at the gold-mining trading post of McDame, established in 1876. Virtually nothing now remains except the cemetery, perched on a side hill, nearly hidden by encroaching stands of Trembling Aspen. Most of the graves were unmarked, although a few headstones indicated that native people occupied the graves, as one would expect. The most prominent gravestone, ostentatious by comparison to the wooden crosses, was a fallen granite obelisk, whose base read:

erected in the memory of
Webster Scott Simpson
Indian Agent
Died July 20, 1927
On Dease Lake, BC
"Doing His Duty”​

dease075.jpg
Simpson apparently did his duty.

dease072.jpg
First Nations grave at McDame.

dease071.jpg
Looking upriver from McDame.

Immediately after lunch, the Dease quickened its pace, probably aware that our group was feeling just a tad dozy, and way too lethargic. We now sped along, and quickly reached 4 Mile River in what seemed like only a few minutes. Maybe we'll make Stone Island Rapids before camp, approximately 14 km (9 miles) below McDame.

In the near distance we spotted a high sand bank on river right, which Patterson said immediately preceded Stone Island Rapids. The topographic maps, however, indicated that these Class I-II rapids were still two bends and 3-4 km (2.0-2.5 miles) away. We drifted, and enjoyed a pair of Night Hawks darting and sweeping overhead.

Kathleen and I angled our canoe toward the inside of the next right-hand bend. Up ahead, Don gave a signal to keep right, and yelled out "Hug the right shore." Sure. We always do. What's so special about this time?

We rounded the bend, and there they were. Stone Island Rapids. About 2 km (1.5 miles) upstream from where they were marked on the topographic maps. A real stone island barred our passage, with the river pounding directly into the rock face before splitting into twin rapids left and right. Don and Laura were already in the eddy below the island, camera in hand, expectation in their eyes. The haystacks in the right channel looked too large for new paddlers. I turned my head and 'encouraged' Willie and Pierre to "drive hard to the eddy. Be sure to lean to your left!"

Kathleen and I hit the eddy, which featured a very strong reversal that stood a full 25 cm (10 inches) above the level of the main current (OK, I might be exaggerating just a smidgen; but not too much). Our canoe rocked badly as we hit the reversal, and I briefly entertained the unpleasant possibility that we were going over. How humiliating would that be? Fortunately, though the fully loaded boat proved stable, and we straightened up in the top of the eddy just as Willie and Pierre were driving hard, directly at us. They were racing right to the top of the eddy, just as requested. They too rocked briefly as they crossed the differential, and swung broadside into our canoe before coming to a stop. Right at the top of the eddy, after paddling for only two weeks. How danged good is that?

Sean came next, powered into the eddy, and t-boned his kayak over the top of Willie and Pierre's 17.5-foot Old Town Tripper. Despite the turmoil and chaos Pierre looked more smug and content than does a man who has just landed a northern pike. With a nonchalant shove he tossed Sean and his kayak into the top of the eddy. They don't call him Pierre LeChuck for nothing.

Cheryl, Allana and Greg eddied out a little lower, there was no more room in the top of the eddy. We then all dropped down a few metres to a small gravel bar, barely out of the water. Perhaps giddy is too strong a word, but we were all pretty darn excited.

dease122.jpg
Kathleen and Me angling toward the Stone Island Rapids eddy.

dease123.jpg
Owens and Pierre angling toward the Stone Island Rapids eddy.

dease124.jpg
Would have been nice to hit the eddy a bit higher.

dease125.jpg
Owens and Pierre turning into the eddy.

dease126.jpg
Turn. Turn. Turn.

dease127.jpg
Rocking just a bit.

dease128.jpg
Owens powers toward the top of the eddy, with excellent, vertical forward strokes.

dease129.jpg
Sean is up next!

dease130.jpg
Did anyone order in a t-bone? Owens remains focussed on the top of the eddy.

dease131.jpg
Allana riding high in Stone Island Rapids.

dease080.jpg
Aw shucks. Stone Island Rapids ‘twernt nothin’.

Everything after that was pretty anti-climatic. A few rapids in Coulihan Canyon, but nothing like rounding a blind corner to see Stone Island Rapids staring straight into your eyes. We casually paddled to the sand bar just below where Stone Island Rapids is indicated on the topographic maps. Unlimited camping spots, with cottonwood trees for shade near the downstream end. Kahlua from Cheryl and Greg followed by burritos and brownies from Don and Laura completed a great day on the river. Around the campfire, it was apparent that the saga of ‘Willie and Pierre's Paddling Adventure’ continues to gain stature.

Wednesday, July 30; Day 7 (Greg)

The sun peeks its weary head over the distant horizon shooting rays of light against the dusk of the morning like arrows. I am sure it was a beautiful sight if I was awake to see it! Day 7—half way through our fabulous journey. Everyone seems to be well settled into their morning sequence. We are on the water by 9:00.

Bill is usually the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] to rise (so I’m told) and he proceeds to start the morning fire in preparation for those to follow with the morning bannock, although I am not around to see it!! Michael and Kathleen, well seasoned, prepare their morning constitution with bannock over the fire followed by Cheryl, who has taken to this ritual. Although I don’t always see it! A cool breeze blows just enough to keep the mossy’s grounded, and the sun warms our bodies in anticipation of the upcoming day.

Everyone claims to have had the best sleep yet, which is another testament to the relaxed outdoor state we have all entered into.

We push off saying goodbye to the trapper’s cabin on river left and the sandbar we called home, which was a highway for wildlife judging by the plethora of tracks on the shore.

The river meandered ahead—wide, slow moving current. We faced a small head wind on some legs but overall it was easy going.

We rested about 11:00 a.m. on a small sand bar riddled with bear tracks about 6-7 km (3.75 – 4 miles) from McDame. Cheryl and I are in the lead, and our marriage is holding fast as there are no life threatening decisions to make on this section of the river.

We push off with great anticipation of the trading post at McDame. There were still people there when Patterson came past in the’40s

An hour and a half float later we arrive at McDame. From a distance a gate can be seen on the hill above, adding to our eagerness. We came ashore to tire tracks and a road with signs of well used and abused camp sites. Hooligans we determine, although we didn’t see any. The foundation of one building is still present, obviously burned to the ground by the Hooligans, no doubt, although we didn’t see that either! It is, however, a beautiful place on this earth so we stop for lunch, offering up spectacular scenery to our outdoor café. After lunch we explore the graveyard on top of the hill; the most recent graves appear to be around 1926-1928. It is a grand place to spend one’s resting days.

The group decides to press on in order to preserve one of our allotted rest days. A moose swims across the river just ahead.

Don and Laura take the lead, as I see from the map that vital decisions will be required in the upcoming stretch of river.

We push on, aware of the next marked rapid “Stone Island Rapid,” about 16 km (10 miles) ahead, although no one has yet seen it! The scenery changes to rocky walls and spectacular, panoramic sandstone embankments carved out about 270[SUP]o[/SUP], trying to persuade the river which way to flow. It is a struggle which will be going on for many more years to come.

According to the map, the “Rapids” are about 2.5 km (1.5 miles) down stream. We continue on our meandering way.

We round a tight corner and, to my surprise, instructions are being shouted back: “Keep right. Keep right.” I notice Kathleen frantically trying to change paddles. Michael’s shouting instructions to Bill and Pierre. Cheryl and I look for some slower water to see what the melee is all about. I don’t see a thing!

Suddenly, out of nowhere, appears “Stone Island Rapid.” Hey! That’s not supposed to be for another 2 km. We see Michael and Kathleen disappear into the abyss, followed by Bill and Pierre, and then Sean.

I didn’t see what happened to Don and Laura!

Cheryl and I commit ourselves to the pending doom! We look down the rapid to see Bill & Pierre and Michael & Kathleen collided and destined to doom when all of a sudden Sean decides to hop up on them for a ride into oblivion, or maybe to fly over the rapid! I didn’t see this coming at all!! I yell to Cheryl that we will go around the entangled cluster of boats that lay ahead and try for the eddy lower on, hoping to say upright.

The rapid now behind us we all hit the calm water and get out to reflect on our combined brush with canoe tripping disaster.

We all agree it was a well run rapid, and curse the map makers for their gross “rapid errors.” That’s twice now. Who would have seen that!!

With all this excitement behind, we agree to look for the next decent camp site, which appeared to be a large gravel bar below the “map Rapid.” It turns out to be a beautiful spot crowned by a grove of river beauty.

We set up camp in the glorious afternoon sun and enjoy a virtually bugless evening.

Don and Laura concoct a great burrito dinner, demonstration aside, with a chocolate brownie desert, and we all settle down for a quiet, restful evening.

The next rapids are Two Mile and Four Mile on the last day. Or are they?

The entire day has been beautiful and sunny with a mild to medium wind at times.

This trip and the people sharing it with me will remain a highlight in my life—this much I do see!

Thursday, July 31 (Me)

Six o'clock on the morning of July 31[SUP]st[/SUP]. Oh no! It can't possibly be true; but it most assuredly is true. Day 8 of our journey down the The Mighty Dease River. That means it's my turn to record the day's events, and attempt to entertain my companions between dinner and dessert. This tradition seemed like such a good idea a month ago. It seemed like a good idea only last night. Now I'm not so sure.

I rose 15 minutes later, and once again Willie and Pierre had the fire going, with my tea water already boiling. The day is beginning warm, falling to a balmy low of 5[SUP]0[/SUP] C (41[SUP]0 [/SUP]F) overnight, according to Don, our weather guy. Sunny, with no hint of rain. We've had only a few spatterings of rain on the trip— nothing at all to complain about. And all these years I've avoided, almost disdained wilderness tripping in British Columbia because of the potential for unending days of rain. Oh how wrong I can be.

dease082.jpg
Morning in our camp below Stone Island Rapids.

Allana joined me at the fire.

"What are you having for breakfast?" she asked. ”Bannock," I replied. "Always bannock. What are you having for breakfast, Allana?"

"Bannock," she smiled. "I always have bannock, except on rest days."

dease086.jpg
Me preparing to make bannock over the morning fire.

We were both pretty darned pleased with ourselves. While packing the canoe, a loon's yodel wafted down the river valley. I love the call of the loon, especially in the morning, when its yodel seems to promise that only good things wait for us during the day. Of course, I also love the loon's call at midnight, when its musical laughter breaks the stillness of the northern forest. And then of course, it's always fantastic when the loon calls at midmorning during my gorp break. And then of course…… OK. I never tire of hearing the loon, no matter when it calls.

dease081.jpg
A Loon’s yodel wafted down the valley of The Mighty Dease River.

dease089.jpg
The Dease River Adventurers put on the river at 8:45, hoping to make the "Big Island in Gravel Bars" 45 km (28 miles) to the north. This would put us a whole day ahead of schedule, and would allow us to take a rest day, which we all desired.

We continued to see wildlife on the river: mink, weasel, and beaver. We frightened a family of Canada Geese, who in turn, as they flew noisily away from our canoes, frightened a downstream beaver. We slipped quietly past a Bald Eagle atop a log jam, "perched majestically," according to the man from Fresno. That would be Willie.

dease132.jpg
Eagles always perch majestically, don’t they?

dease135.jpg
Taking flight.

High sand banks, 60-70 metres (yards) above the river, now became common, constraining and turning The Mighty Dease River through gradual bends. Bank Swallows had burrowed their homes into a narrow band approximately half way up; we could see them twirling and dancing as they hunted for insects far above the river.

The country through which we now paddled had changed since leaving Dease Lake. Drier and more open. Some of the forest even appeared open enough to be campable. Broad, steep hillsides were occasionally covered with Drummond's Dryad, which lent their fuzzy countenance to the landscape.

The Dease was now a wide and strong river, likely moving at 7-8 km (4-5 miles) per hour. We reached the Rapid River, 24 km (15 miles) in less than 3 hours. Just below Rapid River the Dease narrowed, bent right, and piled into a huge log jam that threw the Dease back at us, creating a barrier of boils and whirlpools that spun all 4 canoes and Sean's kayak in a variety of directions, virtually none of them intended by the paddlers. This provided the only canoeing excitement of the day, other than, of course, the joy of paddling and simply being on The Mighty Dease River.

dease087.jpg
Lunch on a gravel bar: Kathleen, Allana, Cheryl and Greg.

dease088.jpg
Lunch on a gravel bar: Pierre and Owens.

We reached the "Big Island in Gravel Bars" before 3:00 p.m., but were disappointed in the poor quality of the camping, particularly for a layover day. One very disgruntled Adventurer was heard to remark that "this place stinks."

Onward we drifted, now without paddling, past equally unappealing islands and sandbars. None of them met our very high standards for just the right combination of sand, trees, kitchen logs, mountain views and a neighbourhood pub. We finally settled for all but the pub, which seemed a trifle unrealistic anyway.

Camp went up quickly, and we were soon lying on our own private beach, enjoying Don and Laura's merlot wine, just before dining on Willie and Pierre's beef stroganoff and rice pilaf, followed by Cheryl's coconut rice pudding. A reading by Greg, recounting yesterday's events, thoroughly entertained the satiated Adventurers, some of whom were now stretched out below the level of our kitchen log.

The river today struck me as a river of contrasts. We commonly came across cabins, some abandoned and some not. Boats on the shore. Buildings on the Indian Reserve at Rapid River. Groups of belled horses. The Stewart-Cassiar Highway within 5-10 km (3-6 miles). Yet, despite the presence of all this human activity we encountered no other people. We see only ourselves, which is as it should be, for we have come, among other reasons, seeking solitude and space. And that's the way it was, Day 8, on the Mighty Dease River.

dease085.jpg
We set up camp on a large gravel bar. No neighbourhood pub.

Friday, August 1 (Me)

The day began late and dull. I rose from the tent at 8:00 a.m. and stepped into a grey sky that promised rain in the not too distant future—perhaps in only an hour. Pierre had caught a lake trout last night, and Kathleen indicated that she would also like lake trout for this morning's breakfast. Seemed like a good idea to me, too.

After tea and coffee, Willie, Pierre and I strolled up the beach a hundred metres or so to the same deep hole where Pierre had succeeded last night. We spent thirty minutes casting with no strikes, and then the rain began. Only a drizzle, though. Nothing serious.

I returned to camp to fish in the pool just opposite our kitchen. In only a few casts I hooked a 40 cm (16 inch) trout, which struck the spinner right up against the bank. Finally. Trout for breakfast, or should I say brunch. It was a rest day, though, and Kathleen still lingered in the tent, slightly after 11:00 a.m.

I fired up our small backpacking stove, scooped a generous amount of margarine into the frying pan, and plopped in our two fillets. Kathleen and I spent the next 20 minutes hunkered over the skillet, devouring bits of fish as soon as they browned. We ate like two primitive people, barely speaking, sometimes using our forks, but more commonly just scooping up the fish with our fingers. Very satisfying.

The rain had now stopped completely, which prompted Willie and Pierre to begin cooking their breakfast trout. All this fine dining spurred Greg and Sean into action. Moments later they had landed a large Arctic grayling, which soon found its way into the frying pan.

The sky appeared brighter, so Kathleen and I headed to the willows behind camp with our stove, a large pot of water, and clean clothes. We stripped, bathed, and washed our hair. Hot rinse water poured over one's head is one the purest forms of pleasure on a wilderness canoe trip. We then returned to the tent for an afternoon nap.

We roused ourselves out of the sleeping bags a couple of hours later to prepare dinner for the Adventurers. It was our turn. Or, more accurately, I should say that it was Kathleen's turn. Minestrone soup followed by chocolate-oatmeal-coconut cookies. The sun now shone brightly, and a double rainbow stretched from horizon to horizon. We lounged around the kitchen with Don and Laura, chatting about nothing that I can remember, but thoroughly enjoying the conversation.

Then to the tent. The evening sun shone directly through our back door, warming us as we savoured our rest-day glass of brandy. Out the front door we gazed east across the river to a golden-green forest gilded by the western sun. Above the trees, a grey-blue sky provided a perfect backdrop.

We sipped our brandy, relaxing in the silence. A nearby raven croaked three times, and its guttural voice echoed through the spruce on the east bank. A beaver slapped the water, and a soft rain began to fall. It's good to be alive, and on The Mighty Dease River.

dease092.jpg
Dease River Adventurers just hanging out on the layover day.

Friday, August 1; Day 9 (Laura)

The first day of August brought rest and rain showers. By 0830 my body was tired of lying in the tent, hiding from the sporadic rain. I staggered groggily through the sand toward the fire, stopping to watch a small hawk scrapping with another bird overhead. Now past 0900, I assumed that Don and I would be the last to emerge, but soon learned that both Sean and Kathleen were still resting. Although not ideal weather for a day in camp, I think the rain may force us to actually rest—laundry and hiking will wait. The sprinkles must make for good fishing, though. Pierre caught a ginormous trout last night (22 inches and growing!). Michael, Bill and Pierre need just a couple more fish for breakfast—or will it be brunch . . .

After a quick breakfast cooked over Cheryl and Greg’s stove, we linger and talk of trips past and future. Sean is up now, but still no sign of Kathleen. Perhaps she is waiting on the fish. It’s raining pretty solidly again at 1030. Don and I retreat to the sunny interior of our tent just as Michael brings in a trout. Only one more fish to go, brunch is just around the corner now—or will it be lunch . . .

We find shelter in our tent and enjoy reading and dozing by turns. Motivated by a break in the rain rather than hunger, we leave our cozy cocoon for a warm lunch. Michael and Kathleen have just finished their trout, straight from the pan, and are preparing hot water for a bath. Allana is having what I call an afternoon at the salon as Cheryl patiently and painstakingly untangles her daughter’s braids in preparation for a shampoo. Sean has plunged into the cold river waters and rushes back to shore to wash up. Despite the threat of more drizzle getting me wet, I find myself inspired to wander back to “the bathtubs” to bathe myself. Several large pools of water that have been trapped by berms of sand lie just beyond camp. I’m sure this water will be much warmer than the river itself—I only hope I don’t find Ooey-Gooey at the bottom. Rinsing myself on the sand, I realize I’ve left our camp towel back at camp. Don, my knight in Gore-Tex armour gallantly retrieves it.

Although the water in this private pool was indeed warmer than the river, it is far from being warm. I spend the next hours re-warming beneath my fluffy down sleeping bag. Sometime during this interval, Bill and Pierre lunch on their trout and Sean lands a truly impressive grayling for him and his family to enjoy.

Unexpectedly, the sun shows itself about 1600 – just in time for a pre-dinner cup of cocoa. There is another brief shower as Kathleen prepares dinner, but it didn’t seem to dampen our appetites as we eagerly polish off a large pot of minestrone and dumplings. We are treated to freshly made cookies for dessert, which Bill declares are probably illegal because they are so good.

dease097.jpg

Despite initial misgivings by some about its “bleak” and “desolate” nature, I think we have generally found this to be a good campsite. It certainly has good drainage and abundant firewood, both of which have proved valuable on this wet and chilly rest day; and it has provided fish.

Having spent much of the day “indoors,” Don and I linger after dinner, chatting with Kathleen and Michael. We are rewarded with a spectacular double rainbow stretching from horizon to horizon. I learn from Kathleen that the second rainbow is a reflection of the first, and indeed the colours are inverted, going from red to violet. It is a good omen for the end of the day.

Attachments

• dease068.jpg
    dease068.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 2
  • dease075.jpg
    dease075.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dease072.jpg
    dease072.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dease071.jpg
    dease071.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dease122.jpg
    dease122.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 1
  • dease123.jpg
    dease123.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 1
  • dease123.jpg
    dease123.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 1
  • dease125.jpg
    dease125.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dease124.jpg
    dease124.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dease126.jpg
    dease126.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 1
  • dease127.jpg
    dease127.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 1
  • dease128.jpg
    dease128.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 1
  • dease129.jpg
    dease129.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dease130.jpg
    dease130.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 1
  • dease131.jpg
    dease131.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dease080.jpg
    dease080.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 1
  • dease082.jpg
    dease082.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dease086.jpg
    dease086.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 1
  • dease081.jpg
    dease081.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dease089.jpg
    dease089.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 1
  • dease132.jpg
    dease132.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dease135.jpg
    dease135.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 1
  • dease135.jpg
    dease135.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 1
  • dease087.jpg
    dease087.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 1
  • dease088.jpg
    dease088.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dease085.jpg
    dease085.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dease092.jpg
    dease092.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 1
  • dease097.jpg
    dease097.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 1
  • dease097.jpg
    dease097.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 1
I am enjoying your trip report Pitt. Some of it looks familiar to me , but time has erased any connection to the geography of our short trip on the Dease River in 1982. I know we started on Dease Lake and finished somewhere along the Cassiar Hwy after 4 days. We had a hard time finding campsites too, and I think the river was a bit higher than you had. The one vivid memory I do have is of fighting a huge fish in a big pool for over 20 minutes before my line snapped. We never saw it, and it didn’t make any runs, so no idea what it was. For all I know it may have been a sunken log. Keep up the good work.

Mark

Saturday, August 2 (Me)

The day again broke cool and overcast. We went about our business of breakfast and breaking camp. The mountain peaks to the northwest shone, as though snow-covered, in a window of bright sun in a sky that otherwise threatened rain.

We put on the water at 9:00 a.m.; both Kathleen and I wore our paddling jackets and spray skirts in anticipation of rain. Willie asked my prediction of when the rain would arrive. I gazed about and suggested that the storms might miss us entirely. "About 40% chance of rain," I opined.

Twenty minutes later the rain overtook us from the south, and we snugged our skirts over the coaming of the spray deck. The squall was relatively brief, about 30 minutes, but the weather remained cool and windy, even after the rain. I wished I had worn more than a light cotton shirt under my paddling jacket.

dease091.jpg
Rain soon overtook us from the south.

The Adventurers passed by two Bald Eagles, whose white heads seemed even more prominent and regal in the grey-green landscape. Onward we paddled, hoping for a little sun. Onward Kathleen and I paddled, mostly in silence, content in our own secret thoughts.

Just before noon, the river turned to meet the Stewart-Cassiar Highway, or perhaps the highway turned to meet the river. I don't know which. We drifted near the picnic table, on the left bank, that we had heard about from previous groups down the Dease. We decided against stopping. Ten people would never all be able to sit down at once.

We paddled two more bends to lunch on an island that had been today's tentative campsite, which we had originally selected near the highway to provide early egress, if necessary. We all decided against camping here—way to close to the highway. Too close to traffic, and the ever present potential hooligans and vandals.

Back into the canoes and kayak for another 20 minutes to set up camp in a deep southward bend opposite a high cliff that sheltered us from the wind. For some reason I'm feeling tired today, and napped before Cheryl's fantastic dinner of tuna pilaf, with strawberry shortcake and dream whip for dessert.

It seems that everyone is tired today. All 10 Dease River Adventurers had retired to their tents by 8:15 p.m.. I can again hear Willie reading aloud to Pierre from R. M. Patterson's book Trail to the Interior. A little farther down the beach Greg and Cheryl are reading Harry Potter to Sean and Allana. Comfortable, muted sounds that have become a normal background to our trip. Satisfying sounds that more than compensate for the periodic rumble of the highway a few kilometres to the west.

Across the river, high above the canyon rim, at least a dozen ravens soar and vocalize. Caws, shrieks and croaks —all very entertaining, and a lyrical prelude to sleep.

Saturday, August 2; Day 10 (Bill)

Today started early for me. At 1:30 a.m. I left the tent briefly for the bathroom. Upon my return, big Pierre was awakening from a slumber, and opined that he’d just heard a moose snorting in the underbrush nearby. Quite naturally taking umbrage at such a contemptuous remark, I was obliged to pull out my quirt and lay a couple of hearty licks upside the boy’s trash talkin’ nappy head. He was immediately rendered unconscious, and for the remainder of the night I was free from any further Tom Foolery.

However, I must hasten to add that Pierre, with either a Dutch oven or skillet in hand, has rapidly progressed from an apprentice to a seasoned journeyman over the open camp fire. Both his blueberry pancakes and biscuits are to die for, and I can almost see Aunt Jemima smiling and nodding approval as I squeeze her sugary elixir out and watch as it slowly OOOZZESS down the sides of my morning cuisine.

Pierre and I were up again, and received a light show as a reward. Two distant, craggy peaks with a carpet of green well below the summit were surrounded by clouds; but somehow a bolt of bright sun found a channel through the shroud and illuminated the mountain landscape. It was a stark contrast and quite an impressive sight.

Breakfast and packing up went in an orderly fashion, and we lifted anchor and steamed off at 9:00 a.m. after Mike’s morning scouting report. He gave us his usual optimistic predictions, including a 60% chance of staying dry. Not five minutes into the trip it began to sprinkle. Shortly thereafter I paused to put on my son’s rain jacket. This proved to be a veteran move on my part, as in short order the sprinkle turned to a full fledged rain, at least by Fresno standards. The rain petered out within a half hour, as did the Grand Tetonesque Mountains, which gradually disappeared from view.

dease090.jpg
Owens and Pierre hoping the rain holds off.

The river became wide and straight, and the weather remained overcast. Two mature Bald Eagles perched on logs along the top of a cliff were content to watch us as we passed by. I surmised we were going through some good pools for catching fish, at least for birds who know how to catch them. I doubt I could personally verify my suspicions.

By noon we were near Pitt’s life long nemesis—civilization. It was a road hidden by trees, and only the occasional sounds of big rigs could be heard, but it was civilization none the less, and too close for Mike’s liking.

After lunch we headed on, and in short order found a bend in the river tracing a beautiful cliff topped by a thick forest. Lots of horse prints and ants, but it was the right place to stop because it was early afternoon and what might be further down the river was suspect at best. I will arbitrarily name the camp spot Horseant Bend.

Our delicious dinner prepared by Cheryl and Greg of couscous casserole and strawberry/blueberry bannock cake was preceded by some discussion of US, France, England and Canadian history. We still aren’t sure how the US justifies having a military base on Cuba. I wonder how much rent we pay Fidel per month?

Laura waxed both eloquent and poetic before our killer desert, and I think her poem about the Dease encouraged the sun to shine for a bit. I believe the dropping temperature will send the troops heading early for the tents and the warmth of the sleeping bag.

Day 10 is just about in the books, and the Four and Two Mile Rapids now loom large. My concern is not running the rapids, but having to portage all that gorp. I don’t suppose one can consider himself a true wilderness paddler without having completed at least 1 portage, but having lugged 125 extra pounds of gorp back and forth for 2 weeks seems sufficient to warrant receipt of our wilderness canoe merit badge on a technicality. If worse comes to worse, I do know one thing— I am getting Pierre to shoulder the yellow bag, eh.

It’s 9:30 p.m. and as I doze off to sleep, I am serenaded by an unlikely trio. The whistling wind, 2 squawking ravens, and big Pierre sawing some serious lumber. But wait, I hear a faint but audible sound—the unmistakable rumble of a big rig rolling down a lonely stretch of the Stewart-Cassiar Highway!! This is not good.

Sunday, August 3 (Me)

I awoke around 5:00 am. The ravens were still partying. It had been raining most of the night, and I was glad that it was only 5:00 a.m. Perhaps the rain will stop in another hour.

Six o'clock, and the rain continued. Still no signs or sounds of life at the kitchen tarp. Apparently all the Adventurers are hoping that the rain will stop before they emerge from their tents. I drifted off back to sleep.

At 6:45 I heard sounds at the tarp. Time to get up. I dressed and joined Cheryl, who was already busy making coffee and bannock. The rain persisted, but was not nearly as bad as it sounded in the nylon tent.

Willie joined us beneath the tarp to ask if we would be traveling today; he returned to his tent to give Pierre the bad news that we would indeed be packing up, rain or no rain.

We paddled away from our camp that came to be known as "Horseant Bend" at 9:15 a.m. Only two hours—and a bit—to eat our breakfast and break camp. Rain is a very strong antidote to sauntering, lingering, and puttering. The rain had now stopped, but very Black Clouds blowing up from the south trailed right behind us.

We approached Blue River in the late morning, and ran a Class I rapid, just where Patterson had promised it would be. A few rocks, which we easily avoided by zigzagging a few times across The Mighty Dease River. A Bonaparte's Gull, a Red-throated Loon, and a Great Horned Owl added additional excitement to the morning's paddle. The Black Clouds still pursued us, about two bends behind.

We glided by ‘Dease River Indian Reserve 2,’ a large community of many houses, an outhouse with a stove pipe, an earth mover, and one horse. No sign of any people. The Black Clouds were hot on our collective stern, only one bend to the south.

We lunched across from the island about 5 km (3 miles) down river from the reserve, our tentative campsite on our itinerary. Ahead lay patchy blue sky. Behind we heard thunder from the rapidly approaching Black Clouds. We put back on the water, paddling hard toward the sun, but lost the race.

The Black Clouds overtook us, poured rain upon us for a few minutes, and then pummelled us with hail. Our little flotilla was shrouded in mist falling from above, as well as rising from the Dease itself from the impact of tens of thousands of hail stones. I laughed out loud at the sheer humour of it. Laura later acknowledged that she laughed out loud at the sheer lunacy of it. Willie reckoned that the hail storm was one of the highlights of the trip.

It was all over in a matter of minutes. The sun reappeared and we paddled on, eventually setting up camp on a magnificent gravel bar just downstream from Masidoor Creek. The weather continued to improve throughout the evening. Our spirits are high, our minds are at rest, and our bodies are warm and dry. Willie and Pierre hung out yesterday's still wet laundry, and Cheryl took time to launder her family's clothes. We are one bunch of clean Adventurers.

Pasta by Don and Laura completed a memorable day. Only about 20 km (16 miles) to Four Mile Rapids. I hope tomorrow's run goes well.

dease103.jpg
Masidoor Creek camp.

dease098.jpg
Cheryl and Greg at Masidoor Creek.

dease099.jpg
Laura and Don at Masidoor Creek.

dease100.jpg
Owens and Pierre at Masidoor Creek.

dease102.jpg
Pierre and Kathleen at Masidoor Creek.

Sunday, August 3; Day 11 (Cheryl)

This morning I woke up to the sound of rain on the tent. Greg said it had rained all night. I was the first one up and I was grateful for the tarp Michael put up the night before. Everyone got up later today, hoping the rain would stop; but it didn’t.

We pushed off in the rain and paddled towards the little patch of blue sky in front of us. It seemed all day there was a little patch of blue somewhere to give us hope. Even when the hail started to bounce off the water around us, there was blue sky somewhere.

I think we paddled about 40 km (25 miles) today before we decided on camping on a large gravel bar island. The sun was shining when we pulled our boats ashore, but there was a black cloud on the horizon. We were extra efficient setting up camp today, as we wanted to be set up when the storm hit. We ended up only getting a few minutes of rain as the cloud passed us by.

The sun then came out and we decided to take advantage of the situation we now had—a set-up camp and a hot sun. Sean, Greg and I sat on buckets, leaning back on our canoe, and used Sean’s kayak as a foot rest. With the sun beating down on us I couldn’t imagine a better spot. As the trip is coming to an end we started to reflect on the ‘best of’ and ‘worst of.’ We talked of our best days— but no one had a worst day. We discussed the best meals—but no one had a worst meal. We talked of our best camps—but again we didn’t think we had a bad one. I started to feel a little emotional that this wonderful trip was coming to a close.

Allana has finally crawled from the tent. She has been very intent on making her Dad a special birthday card. She has been amazing on this trip. She has been happy over 99.9% of the time. Always finding some way to amuse herself, no matter where we are.

I am very proud of Sean as well. It has not been easy for him to keep up with the canoes on this trip, but he doesn’t complain.

Dinner has been called and I’m looking forward to Don and Laura’s creation. It turns out to be garlic walnut pasta, and white chocolate mousse. The food on this trip has been fabulous.

Even though the company has been good (as always) my family is weary and we wander back to our tent. Our plan was to play the phonics game and read the last two chapters of Harry Potter. Unfortunately the 40 km (25 miles) caught up to us, and we couldn’t stay awake for the last chapter.

Another great day on the Dease comes to an end.

Monday, August 4 (Me)

No rain overnight. I awoke at 5:00 a.m. to a golden, sunlit morning, albeit a little colder. I zipped up my sleeping bag a little higher and slipped back to sleep.

At 6:45 a.m. I woke again. Kathleen asked if anyone else was up. I peered out the front door toward the kitchen area, about 75 metres (yards) away. "I don't see anyone, but I think I see smoke. You know what that means."

"Yes," she replied. “Where there's smoke, there's Willie."

The Adventurers set off down the river at 10:00 a.m, in bright sunshine, headed toward Four Mile Rapids. Of course, we have been heading toward Four Mile Rapids ever since pushing off the beach at the head of Dease Lake; but today we are focused. We are intent. We will likely reach the rapids in less than 3 hours of paddling. (Note: Four and Two Mile Rapids are so named for their distance from the Liard River.)

About 11:30 a.m. we stopped for a short break, now only 30 minutes or so from the much dreaded Four Mile Rapids, which were one of my major concerns about the trip. The Black Clouds, obviously in hiding overnight, reappeared from the south. We put back on the water to escape, but to no avail. Rain and a half dozen ominous rolls of thunder seemed a forbidding omen for the rapids that waited, now only two short bends away.

Around the entry bend we went, and Four Mile Rapids appeared. Don and Laura in the lead boat slowed, and we all eddied out on river right to discuss our options. Don suggested that we run down the left bank to an eddy, from where we could see around the left-turning bend. I agreed. Kathleen suggested that we should just walk down the right bank to look around the bend, rather than ferrying over with the potential that we might just need to ferry back if river left proved too difficult.

Once again, Kathleen's prudence and caution turned out for the better. Through our binoculars, river left showed more rocks and higher standing waves than river right, which was essentially a straight shot, almost snug up against the bank, with few obstacles. We all ran, including Willie and Pierre, who are now two experienced paddlers with a "devil take the hindmost" kind of attitude.

A few minutes and a few dodged rocks later, Four Mile Rapids disappeared behind us, and we eddied out on a gravel bar on river right for lunch. Unfortunately, this last gravel bar before Two Mile Rapids was un-campable—too small, and covered with large boulders. We put back on the water, and headed for Two Mile Rapids, purported to be the most formidable of all The Mighty Dease River obstacles.

dease136.jpg
Running Four Mile Rapids.

Approaching from upstream (where else would we approach from?), we heard, before seeing, Two Mile Rapids. Suddenly there appeared a nasty-looking ledge of bedrock on river right, around which the Dease disappeared on a sharp bend to the right. We eddied out on river left in a large pool formed above the outside bend.

Two Mile was a short rapid, less than 100 metres (yards), with moderate haystacks. A rock-free run beckoned on river left. We ran through one boat at a time, so that most of the Adventurers could stand on shore to cheer and film the historic event. Even Willie and Pierre ran down (without following any lead boat I might add) after lining by the curling wave below the entry ledge. Although Two Mile Rapids can certainly be classed as Class II, our route was not as difficult as Stone Island Rapid. No one even took on any water. Such is the value of scouting first and running second, as opposed to the other way around.

dease137.jpg
Kathleen and Michael approaching the entry ledge of Two Mile Rapids.

dease138.jpg
Almost to the eddy.

dease107.jpg
Owens and Pierre approaching the entry ledge of Two Mile Rapids.

dease108.jpg
Pulling out above the entry ledge of Two Mile Rapids.

dease111.jpg
Lining by the entry ledge to Two Mile Rapids.

dease113.jpg
Back in the canoe.

dease115.jpg
Completing the run.

dease117.jpg
The Dease River Adventurers look on approvingly.

The seasoned Adventurers set up camp on a large gravel bar just below the rapid, and basked in the warmth of the afternoon sun, as well as the glow of our collective success in Four Mile and Two Mile Rapids. Kathleen and I pitched our tent on a sandy terrace right above the river. As we drift to sleep tonight, we will be able hear the Dease coursing by on its way to the Liard River.

We will be in Lower Post tomorrow afternoon. The Adventurers already talk of cold beers, hot showers and warm beds. The lure of soft comforts and civilization, now only 3 km (2 miles) downstream, is already supplanting the power of wilderness. Our trip nears its end. Two years in the planning. Only two weeks in the doing.

Monday, August 4; Day 12 (Greg)

The consensus for the day was to get a slightly later start since we only have 24 km (15 miles) to go.

We get up at 7:30a.m instead of 6:30 a.m, and this allows a leisurely start to our auspicious day.

The sun is shining and the first leg of the trip is easterly, making the water sparkle with millions of diamonds as the sun reflects in our faces.

We start our journey to the dreaded Four Mile Rapids in warmth and comfort.

As we paddle towards our pending fate with Four Mile Rapids, a thunder cloud looms on the horizon, occasionally reminding us of the might of mother nature.

The day is to be short—three hours of paddling we predict. We stop for a bathroom stop after two hours. The rain nipping at our heels as we leave our rest stop.

We quickly paddle out of the rain and into the sun again—oh the comfort of it all.

Four Mile Rapids still looms in our near future. What will it bring? River Right? River Left? Can we run it? Do we need to portage? Will we camp there? Above or below?

Finally we reach the peak of anticipation—Four Mile Rapids lies below in all its glory. We get off on river right well above the rapid. No one seems too eager to portage or to trudge down along the river to intimately scout this rapid.

From our vantage point a clean, easy channel is visible down the right bank, and that is good enough for us. Allana is a little apprehensive but Bill and Pierre are chomping at the bit to run this rapid.

We run the rapid well, and we all wonder what the fuss was really about!!

With Four Mile behind us we make our way down looking for a decent camp spot. There is nothing that meets our high standards set by previous spots, and we find ourselves staring at Two Mile Rapids straight on!!

We pull off on river left and as the books say there are routes down river left and right, but we decide to continue down river left to the “lagoon” and scout over the bluff.

Two Mile Rapids (“Ledgy White,” according to Allana) is much shorter but more difficult than Four Mile, but still do-able down river left.

Don & Laura and Sean are the guinea pigs, followed by Michael & Kathleen, then Bill & Pierre, and finally Greg & Cheryl.

We videoed and filmed everyone through the rapid as the vantage point was good.

We discussed paddling through to Lower Post but no one wanted to end our trip this soon. We found good camping on a gravel bar just below Two Mile Rapids and set up our final camp.

The weather is ever changing—sun, cloud, sun, cloud, sun, cloud, sprinkle, cloud.

Tomorrow we have the Liard to look forward to. Large log jams laden with hungry grizzlies as obstacles against the 10 mile (16 km) ferry from one side to the other. Michael’s still worried!

We will complete our journey down the “Mighty Dease” tomorrow, as we paddle to Lower Post. We will get a late start, maybe noon and complete our journey in leisure (except for the grizzlies on the Liard, that is). These past two weeks we have all been living life on a very basic level. Food, but oh was it good! Shelter, only in the best places. Water, lots and lots of water!!!

The evening brings a good meal cooked by Kathleen, supplied by Bill and Pierre, with hors d’oeuvres and desert (Greg’s Birthday Cake) by Cheryl.

Plenty of reminiscing of the past two weeks. Don and Laura’s songs (“Oh Allana, won’t you paddle with me?”); experiences and stories and company,

Michael and Kathleen’s experiences and camp critiques and their stories and company.

Bill and Pierre and their fishing endeavours, gorp and jerky. The paddling experiences they now have —to have run both Four Mile and Two Mile rapids.

Sean, the solo kayak, for his determination and company.

Allana, for seeing the best in every place she is.

Greg and Cheryl, for the appreciation of being with such a prestigious and auspicious group.

And for a trip I know we will all remember fondly forever, hooligans aside.

I thank you all—The Mighty Dease River Adventurers of 2003.

Tuesday, August 5 (Me)

I slept until 7:30, and was surprised at being the first Adventurer at the kitchen. No fire going. No tea water boiling. Our last day on the river, and everyone is sleeping in.

I am feeling unhappy, even a trifle irritated, that our journey has ended so soon. I'm only just now beginning to feel part of the river— that the river is part of me. Only in the last couple of days have I begun to feel comfortable and strong with the daily physical demands. Making and breaking camp no longer requires effort. Paddling all day brings satisfaction rather than weariness. And now we have already spent our last night on the Dease. Likely less than one paddling hour to Lower Post. The trip is over. I cook my morning bannock on our stove. For the first time, a morning camp fire seems superfluous and unappealing.

The Adventurers begin to appear, slowly, from their various tents. We all putter at breaking camp, and put on the river at 11:00 a.m., our latest start to a paddling day. We drift lazily with current. Downriver we can see a ridge stretching obliquely across our line of sight. This ridge must be the northeast bank of the Liard, our final destination.

For the past two weeks the Dease had indeed become a mighty river, growing wider and stronger as it accepted the discharge and power of countless tributaries. Now the Dease itself was merely a tributary of the even larger and more mighty Liard.

Thirty minutes later we approached the Liard, where the gravel-laden outflow of the Dease has thrown up several low islands. These islands absorbed and diffused the flow of both rivers, whose confluence occurred seamlessly, almost imperceptibly. The Mighty Dease River, our home for the past two weeks, simply vanished into the Liard, with nary even a whimper, let alone a climatic crescendo.

We dragged our boats up a swift, shallow riffle between an island and the right bank, and gazed across the Liard River to Lower Post. Somewhat surprisingly, but so very conveniently, our three vehicles sat parked directly across from us, on a high bank overlooking the river. We ferried across the Liard and pulled out at the base of a boat launch below our cars.

By noon all gear had been unloaded and packed away. The Adventurers shook hands and hugged one another, congratulating ourselves on a great trip. I turned once more to look west, toward the Dease, whose mouth was completely obscured by the islands of its own creation. A person could pass by here, and never know that The Mighty Dease River even existed.

The Adventurers then drove to the Band Office to thank Chief George Miller for allowing us to leave our vehicles in his yard on the reserve. We then headed together for the Alaska Highway, a few km north of town. Mere moments later our three vehicles were no longer in sight of each other, as we disappeared into our own portions of pavement.

Willie, Pierre, Kathleen and I headed to Watson Lake for beer, fries, and chicken wings. I must admit that I certainly enjoyed the convenience of a waiter bringing me hot food and cold drink simply by asking. Nevertheless, I would much rather have been reclining against a log, eating gorp on a sun-filled gravel bar, rather than sitting in a sunless, smoke-filled bar. And that's the simple, honest truth.

Tomorrow we begin our 2,000 km (1,250 miles) drive to the south, where darkness comes early in the evening, where leaf blowers rule the neighbourhoods, where hooligans and vandals hold court, and where days of the week seem to be important. One can only hope that memories of The Mighty Dease River will keep us content for another winter.

dease120.jpg
Owens and Pierre below Two Mile Rapids.

dease119.jpg
The Dease River Adventurers

Standing, left to right: Owens, Pierre, Laura, Don, Kathleen, Michael

Sitting, left to right: Cheryl, Sean, Allana, Greg

Nevertheless, I would much rather have been reclining against a log, eating gorp on a sun-filled gravel bar, rather than sitting in a sunless, smoke-filled bar. And that's the simple, honest truth.

Michael, you have a way with words. I was almost teary eyed reading that last diary entry.
That paragraph quoted above sums up the way a lot of us feel about tripping, though I've never seem it written so plainly.

Yup. I love to paddle to get away from stuff and there is nothing that matches that satisfaction of making camping then sitting down to reflect at the end of a good paddling day. Thanks for allowing us to share another of your trips vicariously!

Bruce

Shame on me! Been down the Stewart Cassiar and past Dease Lake twice now.. And now too old to do the Dease River I fear. Thanks for a great trip report! I especially like your mention of what is desirable in a campsite.

Are you sure that you’re too old, YC? I would not like to think that your tripping days are over.

It had been a long time, 15 years, since I had seen these images, or thought about our Dease River trip. I have uploaded a PDF file of this trip report to my drive.google account, and have sent a link to all the Dease River Adventurers. Cheryl, Greg, Sean and Allana are planning a family get together to re-live the trip. Don and Laura might join them, with their 12-year-old daughter. I would love to be there in Vancouver for a grand reunion! It might be more fun than the trip itself!

My favourite image was of Allana, astride the canoe, shooting through Stone Island Rapids. Only seven years old, and filled with confidence. She’s now 23, with a degree in Chemical Engineering. Does her success at lease partially flow from The Mighty Dease River? I like to think so.

Thanks again for sharing some of your past adventures. While reading your story during the day I was reading Summer North of 60 in bed during the evening. I sometimes had a hard time keeping the locations and participants of each trip straight in my head. Yours story was every bit as enjoyable....and with pictures!

Alan

Back