• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Litter, garbage and trash

What kind of legal hunter does that? Wastes the meat, just uses the antlers? Wanton waste of meat is illegal in most states. Thee we only thing you can do is a European mount with the skull, so the “trophy” is also wasted. Disrespectful to the animal. I once guided a doctor from California who wanted to leave a 300 class bull lay, trophy and all. Disgusting. Told him I’d turn him in if he didn’t process and donate the meat to the food bank. Soured me on guiding strangers. Most people don’t deserve the animals they kill.

Unfortunately people don't always find the deer that they shot in a legal hunt. It could have ran into the river and died, then floated away.

Why would making a European mount be a wast of a trophy? Lots of people prefer them.

Unfortunately people don't always find the deer that they shot in a legal hunt.
True. I've found a couple of lost trophies (deer carcasses) over the years. Not enough practice time or taking low percentage shots can pretty quickly lead to coyotes having a feast.

Back to the subject of the thread, my Conemaugh river trip this past Spring was rife with discarded tires, etc., many of which would be a serious PIA to remove. Perhaps after Spring floods wash them downstream they'll be easier to get at but most don't seem to have moved in years.

DSCN1296.JPGDSCN1298 (1).JPG

Last edited:
The head worthless for mounting like that. Gotta cape it. Dumb hick poachers.
not always, many hunters only want the cap mount not the whole head, but if they're only getting a cap, the taxidermists often want the entire head to have the extra fur to wrap under.

True. I've found a couple of lost trophies (deer carcasses) over the years. Not enough practice time or taking low percentage shots can pretty quickly lead to coyotes having a feast.

Back to the subject of the thread, my Conemaugh river trip this past Spring was rife with discarded tires, etc., many of which would be a serious PIA to remove. Perhaps after Spring floods wash them downstream they'll be easier to get at but most don't seem to have moved in years.

View attachment 139418View attachment 139419
That's disgusting.

The Conemaugh river looks like lots of places I used to paddle in WV. You know, most states get their stereotypes by small margins, and the same junk happens all over.

Those look like truck and maybe tractor tires. It is much harder to get a truck tire in a canoe or jon boat to haul it off. Has anybody seen a way to float big tires down? I'm thinking something like strapping it between a pair of inner tubes.

That's disgusting.
If these tires were new, I'd find them more repulsive I suppose. As it is, I find it sad that the area was treated poorly in the past but I'm encouraged that there seemed to be few new ones. Johnstown, PA has a long history of floods and industrial pollution but the river has improved dramatically in my lifetime. Most importantly, IMO, is that the improvements continue. (then again, I'm a "glass 1/2 full" guy)

That's disgusting.

The Conemaugh river looks like lots of places I used to paddle in WV. You know, most states get their stereotypes by small margins, and the same junk happens all over.

Those look like truck and maybe tractor tires. It is much harder to get a truck tire in a canoe or jon boat to haul it off. Has anybody seen a way to float big tires down? I'm thinking something like strapping it between a pair of inner tubes.
On cleanup runs here in the natron’s toilet bowl, they drag the tires to the road, which is usually pretty close. Most are pitched from bridges do there’s not a long haul. Tires washed downstream are smaller and can be paddled out.

Back