• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Late, slow and unprepared paddling companions – A rant

Ah yes, the missing steak story! I have been wanting to forget that but thanks for the reminder. How four guys can miss it in a cooler, A COOLER by Gawd is still beyond me. As I do recall as I was flipping on the grill over the fire it it went sailing into the pine needles and dirt to add insult to injury and a groan from the salivating boys leaned into the fire was almost comical! As I recall we ate it anyway!

20 years of group trips have provided more stories than I could tell...

That was a fun read :)

I do 99% solo so I don't know the anguish of group canoe tripping, but have had similar experiences during my time in a local Jeep club. From one guy being stupidly late to the trail head because he stopped for an oil change on the way, to another guy showing up for a 3 day trail run with only a block of cheese for food because he spent all his money on gas, to new member doing a 30 foot slow motion reverse into the side of my Jeep even though 10 men are standing around yelling for them to stop... it goes on and on lol.

I don't have the Jeep any more and am no longer in any wheeling clubs but certainly no stranger to the tribulations of group activities ;)

I've never led a group paddle, but have participated in a few. My own philosophy is that paddlers (and other cat types) shouldn't be led or herded, just told that the meeting point will have a limited amount of free beer. Anything else is up to the individual's motivation.

I've never led a group paddle, but have participated in a few. My own philosophy is that paddlers (and other cat types) shouldn't be led or herded, just told that the meeting point will have a limited amount of free beer. Anything else is up to the individual's motivation.

Okay, Dan... who ends up paying for the "free beer"? :confused:

The only time I do group trips I meet the group at a campsite. We pick a place and we pick a campsite off the map, and we pick up a backup campsite if that one is taken by others. We all arrive when we can, and leave when we can and if I get done packing up the truck before you're done with all the extra crap you decided to bring. I can just leave. It works great. Other than that I usually just go solo, it can be hard to find good tripping partners.

Mike do you work at Blue Mountain Outfitters? Bought my last canoe from there....

No I just have a great deal of respect for the store, stock and staff expertise. They are all paddlers and their retail focus, their mission, is in putting people in the right boat with the right gear, not selling what’s overstocked or has the highest margin. Those folks keep coming back. As have I.

I am chagrinned to say that I have never bought a boat from BMO, although I have brought friends there on many occasions that have left with a new canoe. BMP does stock every imaginable outfitting part and piece, and that alone have been worth 50 visits.

I do wear my BMO hat when I go, and after 50 visits I know where everything is, so if a customer mistakes me for staff I can usually help them find what they want.

Post Group Trip analysis

The group trip came off without a major hitch, although I had forgotten about some of the common knots and tangles of novice organization. No photos; I was kinda busy all day.

One paddler cancelled at the last minute. Or almost the last minute; just as I had finished making room on the Tacoma racks for his canoe. So we were five solo boats.

Arriving at the put in I discovered that two paddlers had forgotten to bring PFDs. I don’t carry that many spares in the truck.

One paddler in a (borrowed) wide SOT had only a very short (borrowed) double blade. A heavy, crappy, off-set frozen ferruled short double. Charlie Wilson would have been proud of the verticality of her stroke. She was quite wet, but for someone who hadn’t paddled a boat since the mid-70’s she picked nice lines.

Five paddlers, including one fisherman who constantly dawdled behind, making cat herding all the more challenging.

When we finished I was about to take the shuttle driver back to her car, which we had left at the launch, while everyone else headed home. I asked about her keys. The keys she put with her gear in one of the vehicles just about ready to depart. I had asked everyone about keys when we set the front shuttle, but left a loophole.

The most tangled knot I had forgotten from organizing novice group trips was explaining the shuttle concept. They simply could not grasp why we needed the car with no boat atop. I nearly gave up trying to explain and agreeing to leave with just three vehicles, all max loaded with boats and no room for extra passengers. I thought it would be a good lesson learned once we got to the put in and I let them figure it out from there.

I finally prevailed, so that lesson was likely lost.

All in all though it was a nice time on the river. One of my companions had extended family at a private take out ramp and the wildlife was excellent, lots of warblers, a swallow tailed kite soaring high (the furthest north I’ve seen one), a river otter. And of course lots of old growth cypress.

But gawd, why is a shuttle scheme so hard for novices to grasp. And why didn’t I remember that from past group trips, patiently waiting while someone explained their “better” shuttle plan before pointedly asking “OK, now how do we get the driver’s back to their vehicles?”. . . . . wait for it. . . . . here comes equally unworkable novice shuttle idea #2. . . . . “OK, how do we get the boats and paddlers to the put in?”

I may bring a bag of Lego cars and boats and people next time and let them work it out as a tabletop exercise.

The shuttle concept is lost on so many and I cannot understand why. It's such a simple concept that I understood it as a kid when we'd go on a float trip. I was taking a friend out to float the Platte river for his first ever float trip and I met him at his house so he could follow me since he didn't know where we were going. When I stopped at our downstream access area he was all confused, wanted to know why we weren't going further upstream like I had said. When I told him that I stopped here so he could leave his car and ride the rest of the way with him he became even more confused and wanted to know why we even brought his car, why he couldn't have ridden with me the whole way. Fortunately he's a good enough friend that I just smiled and told him to get in the truck and he'd understand later. We were on the river for about two hours when he suddenly called out (separate canoes, whole nuther story of hilarity and frustration...) "Hey, I understand now why we left my car..."

Apparently he had been thinking about it for two hours and just finally worked it out in his head!

Gentleman’s Trip shenanigans would a book unto itself. A novice team in a borrowed Explorer, who attempted to pack their gear on the last day in a nearly identical red MRC that was a foot shorter, and couldn’t figure out why everything would no longer fit. The other 6 guys watching knew exactly why, but managed not to let on until the canoe was finally done and Tetris-packed full and the shorter boat owner intoned “So, should I pack my gear in your boat?”
Thank you so much for this laugh. I nearly spit beer all over my computer! I would have loved to have been there for the reaction to that question!

I'm leading a trip next Sunday with 22 people, most of them in the pre and post pubescent phase (teens) for seven days. When the bus finally arrives back at the shop at the end of the trip, the relief is very large.

I am chagrinned to say that I have never bought a boat from BMO,

I do wear my BMO hat when I go, and after 50 visits I know where everything is, so if a customer mistakes me for staff I can usually help them find what they want.

That's all? Have you ever bought a new boat from anyone??;)

You should have been at Maine Canoe Symposium. At the auction a brand new almost ( used twice) almost virgin mid 80's OT Tripper with new seats and the original white gunwales went for $425. Or perhaps not. It was a new boat not needing anything.
We came close to coming home with it but my SO was there with brakes.

Back