• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Lanterns for canoe camping

There's some interesting lanterns out there. I like those old Colemans. Are old Colemans the new cool?
I dunno, but I like them so much my kids bought me...

...the t-shirt.
PC010727.jpg

Hmm. The lantern won't sit straight on this old man's topography.

Last edited:
Norton and Odyssey, I grew up on the traditional Coleman gas lanterns, but they are too bright for my taste these days. If I am out before mid-May or after September, I usually take a propane Coleman lantern since it has adjustable brightness. We don't always use it, but it is very handy for cleaning up camp after dinner. It generally goes out as soon as we have things buttoned up for the night. For just sitting around or taking a pre-bedtime walk to the latrine, we use headlights as needed. Inside the tent, we have the same light Mama does. Nice to have something to light up the entire space while adjusting everything before going to sleep or to have it for reading.

Come to think of it, I have been known to wake up in the early pre-dawn and use just a headlamp then to make coffee and settle the chair in the best place to see the day come alive. Yes, I am a morning person and generally in bed by 9:00 ;-)

I love headlamps. I wish I'd discovered them sooner. The first few trips involved holding or trying to prop up a flashlight for doing things you really need both hands for...cooking, tent fly adjustments, toilet trips. I had to laugh at Turtle's mini rant. Yes, it's frustrating and funny when someone can't keep their head beams to themselves! We mostly live in the small soft glow of a fire; the best way to see the stars above. But when I'm back under the forest canopy going to observe nature's call of another variety I'm glad to have a little more light. And it's nice to put a pot on the fire for some hot cocoa (me) or chocolate (she), so a little more light is helpful there too. In fact, I've got a headlamp at home here, hanging by the backdoor, in case I need to step out into the yard after dark. M and I both agree that the plastic battery powered lantern is our favourite camping lantern, even if it's light is rather bright and harsh. It doesn't come on every trip though. I check the weather forecast and to see the lunar phase for the trip. We love the prospect of the stars and moon lighting our camp.

Like Mama I use a Black Diamond as well. Mine is the Orbit which packs down to 4 inches and 5 ounces. I use it with rechargeable AAAs. Hang it or set it down, the diffused lighting great on the eyes and light area. Also doubles as a small flashlight. Works well for making an after-dark supper or setting up the tent. Great for a little ambient light in the evening when leaning back on a tree reading a book and sipping a single malt.

Like Turtle, I use a small LED light that clips on my ball cap for 90% of my lighting needs. Unfortunately it is a white light. In my hammock side pocket I keep another tiny LED (that won't clip on my hat, alas) which is red, for those late night trips to pee, or down to the waters edge to star watch, without losing night vision.

Seeker, I use a UCO mini candle lantern in the fall, which holds a tea light candle. I rarely make a fire, but the candle lantern really cheers up the site. And once, I got turned around in the bush behind a campsite, but the glimmer of the lantern guided me home. I used to use a bigger UCO lantern which holds a wax candle, but I found it too heavy for backpacking. They call me a gram wheeny---I am!

I use a headlamp often in the house. I was using one last night going out to get firewood. I used one to fix a busted clothing rod in a dark closet yesterday. I just bought a GE battery operated lantern. It has several settings and the brightest is good enough to read by.

I've seen Dietz-style kerosene lanterns hung up at campsites in old drawings and photos. The W.T. Kirkman lantern website is worth a look.

Back