• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

I’m comparing three boats: the Clipper Prospector 14, Clipper Caribou S, and the Nova Craft Prospector 15.

Reaction score
I’m looking for a solo boat and will set these up with the seat in the middle. Im looking for good initial, coming out of a Nova Craft 16’ tandem prospector, but want something a bit more manueverable than what im paddling now. to those of you who have paddles 2 or more of these canoes, what can you tell me about best use and handling?

I can’t help you, I have never paddled any of those boats. I can’t believe that someone here, that is an expert, hasn’t waxed poetic about pros and cons of their favorite canoe.
Don’t see that a foot difference between a Nova Craft Prospector 16 footer and a 15 footer would be noticeable. I could, of course be wrong and probably am. If I owned the sixteen footer I would climb into the bow seat and paddle it backwards, move up a bit, to be just a tad aft of center, kneel there see if that works. If it does add a removable middle seat. Save a few thousand bucks, that you can spend on gas money to get to some launch spot of your dreams, new tent or warmer sleeping bag.
Just my two cent’s Canadian, although I do prefer their nickels, they have beavers on them.

My buddy has the Caribou Clipper, it's a big solo, he likes it. It is his first dedicated solo, he always paddled tandems solo. Only drawback, the layup on the caribou is not light.

I haven't paddled any of the three, and one hardly ever sees a Clipper canoe in the eastern USA. But I can read specs.

The NC Prospector 15 seems to be the about same dimensions as the NC Prospector 16 except a foot shorter. It should feel about the same but be slightly more turnable and slightly slower. It's a fat boat at 36" beam.

The Clipper Prospector 14 is much narrower and will be faster than the NC 15. It will also have less initial stability than a 36" wide canoe, but will be easier to paddle from the middle because of its narrower beam. Have no idea about turnability vs. the NC 15. It's description and specs suggest it is more tuned for whitewater than lakes.

The Clipper Caribou S is also much narrower than the NC Prospector 15, has a bit more volume than the Clipper Prospector 14, and seems that it would be the best/fastest lake boat of the three. An inch less deep than either Prospector, it seems to have been designed as more of a combo lake and river canoe than the other two, so it would likely be better on lakes and worse in heavy whitewater.

Just my specs-ulations.

I can add to this, having both Clippers and a foot larger version of the NC.

Short whitewater trips, the 14’ Clipper gets the nod. It would be tough to fit more than 2 weeks in this boat and still be confidently manoeuvrable. I run and play class 3 demi-charged without blinking. This boat is my main whitewater play boat because of its speed on the flats compared to the real dedicated ww solos and it does everything I ask it to in the foamy stuff. On the flats, the double blade helps alot. Ive nothing terrible to say about Duraflex, a touch heavy? Maybe, but it makes for a very tough, ridgid hull. I got it for a ww play boat that wouldn’t be a dog on the flats. It’s a very fun boat! If you are looking for more manoeuvrable, this is the boat.
The NC prospector I have is a 16’. My first boat and it’s been soloed more than it’s been tandemed. I’ve test paddled the 15’ before I purchased the other 2 clippers and it was too much like its bigger sibling that I couldn’t consider it. It’s a BIG person solo tripping boat and needs a load. Wind loves the thing and can be a handful on windy days. The double blade does help but it’s no where near as effective as the other boats, it’s just too wide and sitting bow turned backwards there’s a lot of correction going on. It bounces through standing waves and big ww way better than the other 2 but doesn’t play as well as the 14’ Clipper. If an old Royalex one came up, I’d probably buy it, but I’m just not sold on the tough stuff gel coat thing. The 15’ Esquif would be my choice over the NC.
My favourite solo boat by far is the Caribou (that might change now having a Monarch). I like long downriver trips and this boat has it all. Volume, speed, better than decent manoeuvrability and a bulletproof layup. This boat loves a load as well. It will do 6 weeks no problem. I’m 6’, 170 lbs. Two 60l barrels and 2 large packs easily and fit under the spray deck and with a full jag it’s very stable and still runs and handles class 2 water well. I’ve yet to bounce off anything after several thousand km and it makes the necessary moves when asked, though it’s definitely a point and shoot boat compared to the other 2. I’ve messed around in bigger ww stuff empty with it, fun but definitely not my first choice. Its speed is why I love this boat and it does very well with a double blade. It keeps up no problem with tandem prospector style boats even in rolling headwind waters and in some pretty big “situations” I’ve yet to feel uncomfortable in it and am confident I can put in big miles easily. Again, its a Duraflex as well, and I have zero problems carrying a 52 lb boat (a touch over 60 fully outfitted). Its comparables like the SRT and Phoenix come in at lower weights, but until there is some sort of scientific evidence that their layups are as tough as the clippers, I’ll take the proven Duraflex.
As primarily a tripper, and if I could only have one boat, the Caribou would be my choice hands down.

Attachments

• DSCF0965.jpeg
    DSCF0965.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I have the NC P15. I used it on small rivers last year. Haven’t paddled it tandem yet. It’s a little slow solo without a current. Mine weighs in about 56 lbs without a seat. I did add a foot brace and was forced to add skid plates. Mine is in the Blue Steel layup.

Depends on the dog. I have a heeler, likes the scenery. Shifts around his 55 lbs constantly. You feel every shift. A different kind of dog might work.View attachment 137916
You are assuming the Phoenix is less stable than all the other boats under consideration.
Not sure that's true.
If you really want a boat that feels stable with a dog shifting around, you want a flat bottom canoe designed for fishing.

You are assuming the Phoenix is less stable than all the other boats under consideration.
Not sure that's true.
If you really want a boat that feels stable with a dog shifting around, you want a flat bottom canoe designed for fishing.
Not true. My NC P15 is not a fishing boat per se, but has tons of primary and secondary stability. The Phoenix shines solo, but it turns with a lean. Nice for moving around rocks, not so good with a big dog.20201006_124145.jpegIMG_9008.jpeg

Last edited:
There are several factors that go into how stable a boat feels.
One is, of course, width.
All else being equal, a longer boat will be more stable.
All else being equal, a boat that had more volume in the ends, like the Phoenix, will be more stable.
A flat bottom boat has the highest primary stability and is therefore what most canoe companies recommend for fishing and hauling big dogs, but may not be the one that is least likely to capsize in the end.
Your PC 15, whatever that is, may feel fine, but a flat bottom boat, designed for fishing, is going to feel even more stable.
Just saying.
I have a North Wind 17 and North Wind solo. Northstar makes good boats.
I had a Wenonah Encounter. That was a super stable solo canoe.

My post was not contributing directly to the original poster's question, so I deleted it.

Last edited:
Can not compare the boats, but do have Nova Craft 15 experience. Mine was Royalex and came with the assurance from Nova Craft higher ups it will not oil an. I only paddled the boat solo … with my dog in the bow. It was very nimble and stable. However, it was slow and did not ”feel” like a Prospector when paddled. Also, it oil canned.

I am a fan of Nova Craft boats and feel they do an excellent job crafting composite canoes off traditional lines. That said, I sold it. In my opinion it may have been a nice maneuverable canoe with great carry capacity. It pales in comparison to paddling a real Prospector 15 … not even close.

Bob.

Your PC 15, whatever that is, may feel fine

IS, I believe Black Fly said NC P15, by which I assume he means a Nova Craft Prospector 15.

. . . do have Nova Craft 15 experience. Mine was Royalex . . . . It pales in comparison to paddling a real Prospector 15 … not even close.

Bob, by "real" do you mean a wood/canvas Prospector or a composite/plastic one from another manufacturer.

Glenn,

I mean a real Chestnut Prospector in wood canvas. That boat compared to the Royalex version I owned is far superior relative to paddling. It is faster, even being short and wide. With my GPS I found I paddled 4 mph easily when empty with dog. When paddled with a tripping load … just as easy to paddle, just as fast ( not as quick ), but much more glide. Will flex over rocks, logs but will not oil can. Easier to get a good lean, even with a tripping load.

Glenn,

I mean a real Chestnut Prospector in wood canvas. That boat compared to the Royalex version I owned is far superior relative to paddling. It is faster, even being short and wide. With my GPS I found I paddled 4 mph easily when empty with dog. When paddled with a tripping load … just as easy to paddle, just as fast ( not as quick ), but much more glide. Will flex over rocks, logs but will not oil can. Easier to get a good lean, even with a tripping load.
What size dog? Behind you or in front? Is the x-section profile different from modern Prospector 15s?

My dog is 65 pounds in the bow ( stern facing forwards ). I sit on bow seat as stern seat, at the time kneeling. I found the cross section of the NC to be flatter than the Chestnut. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I THINK I remember the NC being a little ”Cheekier” towards the stems, were the Chestnut was more full through to the stems. The Chestnut had a more pronounced rounded arch. Both canoes paddles well, took large waves and wind well when trimmed correctly, both heeled over nicely and were predictable in their manners in waves and current. The Chestnut was faster and really paddled well with a tripping load. The NC handled a load well, but took more effort to move and felt “ loggy “ … at times.

It has been years since I paddled my NC. I did not hate it, but paddled my NC Pal much more often. When I could Kneel, my Wood Canvas Prospector 15 was my go to canoe for everything from back water exploring day trips to wildeness tripping.

Here is a write up from years ago on a 3 day shake out cruise explaining the prospector merits.

Bob.

Back