• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Hello from central British Columbia, Canada.

Hi Cariboo Canoe, and welcome. The trip planning alone would be thrilling research enough to fill so many long days and nights, the physical journey itself would be epic. I'm glad you mention history, as I think that might be a cornerstone to build such a trip as yours on. Actually paddling and portaging through it, with it and because of it, could colour a trip log uniquely. And then of course meeting and making connections with people along the way will also make it special. I guess I'm getting carried away a little with your plans; I think they're intriguing. Best of luck with every step of the way.

Andrew,

Welcome aboard!
You are the second person who has strongly recommended Bear River for rentals! Wish i'd known that earlier.
I rented from Becker's for our trip last September- 17' Clipper Prospector- and i must say that i was underwhelmed by their level of service. I got the distinct impression that i was inconveniencing them by taking one of their boats into the park so late in the year.

Won't be doing that again.

Bruce

The St Lawrence has wicked tidal currents so the more you can stay off that one the better.. It goes upwards of 15 kph against you on an incoming tide..
Matapedia would be my pick

Might I suggest you go to your ocean and get used to the waves? So much different from lake waves. A truly responsive boat can be tricky in stern winds and waves.. which is why I suggest becoming BFF with that boat in the next couple of years.

A SAIL....you totally need a sail. Just a small one to take advantage of the following winds across the prairies and down Lake Winnipeg.

Thank you for the welcome Odyssey.

I have been daydreaming about a trip like this for most of my life ( I'll be 40 this month ), and am pretty excited to finally be doing the real planning. Joining this forum and talking to other paddlers about it was like finally admitting I'm really going to do this. My boss offered me my job back after I return. Nice guy. I work at "Barkerville Historic Town" which is a restored 1860's gold rush town. It's the largest historic site in western North America. I've been a history buff my whole life and will be researching the different sites before I go.

I will also be filming a lot, although that will be the extent of my electronics. No gps, phone, or computer for me. Just a good camera that can also shoot good video. I also have a Spot locator.

Thanks again, Andrew

Last edited:
Hey Bruce, thanks for the welcome.

I've heard plenty of horror stories about Becker's, and some people have a great time there. Not very consistent service. Also Sandy at Bear River has worked for the park for years. She might have been the one to sign you in or weigh your stuff.

yellowcanoe, thats good info about the currents. Thanks for that. Practice in the ocean is a great idea. I've paddled my Penobscot in the Ocean quite a bit, but thats a totally different boat, and it was a long time ago. A local friend and guide here has approached me a couple of times about circumnavigating Vancouver Island in canoes. That would be good practice ! Is the Matepedia a commonly paddled river ? I also thought about doing the Miramichi instead.

Christy, yes a sail would be such a good idea ! I can't believe I hadn't considered one yet. Do you have a sail or just use a tent fly or something ? What about those round pop up ones ? My grandfather always used a homemade Viking style sail in his canoe years ago.

I'm not out to set any records or die, so I won't hesitate to skip anything that is out of my league, or to accept rides if that's the case.

Andrew

Last edited:
O cool..I have to checkout Barkerville! We have paddlers from all over your route and we are all too willing to help you plan!
Hope its OK I threw up a link

http://www.barkerville.ca/

Sounds like Dawson City but even better..

Oh.. you did ask about the Miramichi Its a shallow river and sometimes runs very low late in the season. Flat bottomed canoes were designed for it historically. Not a Prospector shape but your Prospector wont be holding the typical Prospector load.
Here is a little on the Matapedia..
http://atikokanprogress.ca/2014/10/...e-ranta-reaches-salt-water-on-the-east-coast/

Last edited:
Oh man, living history. I'm a recent visitor to such things. I'm finally making the connection between people and places. Urban geography and land-use planning were course requirements that just got in the way, until now. Now they're cultural synapses that spark with historical continuity. But I blab too much. Sorry.
On the civic holiday last month, we call "Family Day", I went for a short hike with wife and daughter and dog, starting at a city landmark once having been an old family farm; also the site of an War of 1812 battlefield. I only went to walk, but, we almost missed the hike, as I spent an hour and a half talking with the re-enactors dressed in complete Newfoundland Regiment uniform and arms. He couldn't fire his flintlock enough for me. Ha. I keep saying I'm not much into history, don't have a head for remembering dates (ask my wife), but stumble and pause whenever there's living history nearby. Sounds like a cool place to work Andrew.

Andrew

May indeed have been Sandy who checked us in- she was quite a character! We were "last" paddlers out of Park before it closed on afternoon of September 30th. And we were planning on stopping in Barkerville but it was closed too. Did stop for fuel and a quick bite in Wells- that was interesting! A part of the world that i didn't realize still existed.

The historical aspect is a big part of my paddling, too. I've participated on a couple of David Thompson commemorative Brigades- from Rockies to Lake Superior in 2008 and down the Columbia to the Pacific in 2011. These were well organized affairs- more like being part of a travelling circus than a canoe trip, however!

When you do finalize your plans let us all know your itinerary; I'd be delighted to host you for a night or two in the Edmonton area and perhaps accompany you for a day or so on the North Saskatchewan. !

Bruce

Odyssey , I feel like I was born at the wrong time. Barkerville allows me to at least pretend. I have been building a small off grid house ( 300 square feet ) over the last couple of years. It will be a replica of a 100 year old house, right down to everything inside. Modern stuff will be hidden in cupboards and such. Oil lamps, no running water. Old school. I've been collecting antiques for ten years now.

So neat you met someone in a Newfoundland Regiment uniform. Sounds like a cool place to visit. I've always wanted to go back to the Louisberg fort in Nova Scotia. I was there when I was a kid.

Andrew

Hey Pook, Sandy has long, straight, silver hair, and there is another younger lady, Corrine. They are both characters and very nice people.

I've met up with some large groups while paddling, and while it's nice to visit and chat, I am always relieved to move on by myself. Circus indeed.

It would be great to see you in Edmonton, and to paddle with you. You can share some info about the route to Lake Superior.

Andrew

Odyssey , I feel like I was born at the wrong time. Barkerville allows me to at least pretend. I have been building a small off grid house ( 300 square feet ) over the last couple of years. It will be a replica of a 100 year old house, right down to everything inside. Modern stuff will be hidden in cupboards and such. Oil lamps, no running water. Old school. I've been collecting antiques for ten years now.

So neat you met someone in a Newfoundland Regiment uniform. Sounds like a cool place to visit. I've always wanted to go back to the Louisberg fort in Nova Scotia. I was there when I was a kid.

Andrew
My wife visited Louisberg and loved it, and has been trying to get me down east ever since. Some day I hope.
I really like your home plans. I'm also impressed with the small house idea.
I think I know what you mean by having been born in the wrong time. I'm not convinced I'm in the right place either.

Back