• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

GGTBod's 2016 Adirondack Adventure

Ha! I can think of one horrible programme I don't watch and don't even want to think about. I did see a few minutes of it out of curiosity. No, I enjoy a British detective series that takes place there. Interestingly enough I was just reading today about an American footballer (soccer to us here) playing in Sunderland who loves it in the northeast there. I've never been to your part of the world, only seen it "virtually" on TV and the internet. I love the landscape. I wonder if there's any paddling there, or stealth/wild camping?

We have a little bit of flowing water here, i live on the River Tyne, when the fishing season dictates we have paddle access to certain parts, after a little rain it is a mellow paddle with a few high awareness moments, after a lot of rain it is like a torrent from heck rushing to the ocean and best avoided if you enjoy the thought of staying alive, tonnes of lakes and the famous Lake District within easy driving distance, sadly all of these things so far mentioned are in England and belonged to people long dead whose descendants now own the access rights too, but ........, head a little north from here and you have this amazing invisible line called the Scottish Border, once across this EVERYMAN has the right to roam and free access to any lands and waterways thereof that do not contain a residential property or are fenced off for the purposes of livestock use, so we can wild camp and paddle to our hearts content once across the border as long as we respect the area and leave no trace. I love Scotland, need to head there soon but at this time of year i don't think i'll be paddling, never say never though

snapper I just finished editing my latest video and have to agree with you, what the heck is going on with my fishing?? i know fine well as i reel in the bail arm automatically flips down locking the line to reel in but it seems i manually flick the bail arm every time before reeling in, at times this is done to arrest the cast and stop my gear ending up in a tree or other hangup when casting into tight spots but it seems i do this action regardless, well at least on every cast i have so far seen caught on camera, i also now totally understand why wizards are depicted as casting spells with the mad finger and hand movements during casting and releasing the line and tackle, my hands could give Harry Pottter and Dumbledore a run for their money anyday, so anyway hahahahahaha my latest video from the 2016 Adirondack adventure is online, if anyone fancies a bit of escapism or at the very least wants to see the freaky fishing style give it a watch (totally self conscious about my casting now :rolleyes: :) )

Canoe camping in the Adirondacks 2016 days 3, 4 and 5

That was a fun video, thanks Bod. Yeah, that's a nifty tarp setup. I enjoyed walking around your camp for a tour.
As far as the spinning rod cast technique, well don't take any advice from me. I had to go for youtube lessons myself. Interesting that many there showed a smooth motion with one hand sweeping the bail and turning the handle. I practiced it at home before a trip in 2015. I hope for more practice next spring, because I sure need it.
Yeah, it's worth just being there despite the cold and the rain.

Nice video, phew, that's a lot of gear!! I grew up with a double burner Coleman stove...carried it with a buddy of mine when we paddled from Old Forge to Tupper Lake in the '70's. For the last ten years it's been nothing but a Kelly Kettle and homemade dried foods.
Haven't camped at Forked in many years, since my kids were young. I used to go there when I was a teen, they had a horrendous problem with nuisance bears. It took a year or two for the problem to subside after those food lockers were installed.
I keep seeing you casting, but where's the fish? Hope you got some in the boat and frying pan!

sweeper i'm with it the brain was really working slow today, definitely handy for that but it is just the setup i do to ensure good run off and no pooling

stripperguy what you mean that whole rod and casting the line thing over and over into the water is meant to result in fish??

Odyssey being from the north east of England the rain doesn't bother me one bit, can't let it stop you getting outdoors here because if it did you would never cross the front porch

Just below the dam at Forked is good fishing, generally speaking.
Also might have good luck if you worked your way up Brandreth Lake Outlet...
Not too far away, Little Tupper Lake unfortunately has good bass fishing. Used to have a strain of native brook trout, forever lost now. My buddy landed one of those, was around 20" long...

At the Forked Lake dam outlet is one of my favourite spots for good fighting small mouth bass, unfortunately on this trip the dam was fully open for the winter and nothing was biting in that area at all this time, my whole trip i only caught three small mouth bass and none of those were caught when i had a camera on me

Great video Bod. I have to say, that was the best Trip I have done since moving to NY. Even with the cold. Love your kit list, I am afraid I would require a few more pages to cover the stuff I brought, but then I think I used most everything , so it was good. I will have to work out an even crazier hobo shelter for next time

hidden_lo aye Dave it is safe to say your kit list on this trip was a little longer, you and my father could have compared kit lists for length on this trip no bother, as you can see in my video i am also a fan of the hobo shelter, get some sticks in there and some random sturdy objects and then tie the bugger down and pretend you done it all on purpose (when it works well of course).

I also had a really great time on this trip, was especially great meeting you and all the other crazy people who came to join me in the cold and wet

If anybody out there tried to watch my videos and was struggling with my unusual accent, dialect and colloquialisms the answer is here :rolleyes: i know i know your whole life has been on hold waiting for the promised plain English subtitles, well fret no longer good people :) all of my videos (from all adventures both old and new uploaded so far in which where i speak) now have an optional subtitles track, i have translated my Geordie slang (the name for the accent and dialect if you come from where i am from) into the type of English you'd hear in a BBC documentary (usually)

Full kit break down for 3 weeks wild camping, ill do clothing separate if folks are interested
(SNIP)

Thanks for listing this out. I find it helpful. It seems most of the paddlers I'm finding around these parts are of the kayak variety, optimizing for how little they can carry in a bulkhead for a night or two.

I'm enjoying the videos, as well.

Back