• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Fun With MS Bing Image Creator AI

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an image creation AI tool from Microsoft's Bing. I asked it to create an image of "Indian maiden in birch bark canoe on mountain lake." It created the following four. Vote for your favorite maiden, or create your own canoe-related images.

Bing1.jpg

Bing2.jpg

Bing3.jpg

Bing4.jpg

That's pretty impressive, Glenn. You had much better luck than I did. I just spent 20 minutes trying to get it to create an animation to go along with the Moose Whisperer story that Chat GPT wrote about @memaquay and all I got was Mem paddling a canoe with an horny moose. It must have confused the story the Deliverance.

1696166847100.png

Not meaning to be a thread killer but lately I've followed a few news articles describing AI plagiarizing literature. It's not a stretch to imagine how far this technology can go into the art world. But I doubt we have anything to worry about here. Somehow I think Mem and his wanker moose is safe from copy cats.

I've spent a few hours experimenting with Poe AI, Google's Bard AI, and this Bing Image Creator.

Both Poe and Bard made wildly ridiculous mistakes on some legal and science questions. I pushed Bard hard on some racial and gender questions and kept getting politically correct obfuscation. When I directly asked it if it was programmed to prioritize inoffensive and non-"harmful" answers over facts, it admitted yes. I asked what subject areas it was programmed to obscure facts about in favor of inoffensiveness, and it said religion, politics, race, gender and sexual orientation.

Bard said JeffB was the most popular poster on Canoetripping.net, that JeffB was the moderator of the WCHA forums, and that Bill Mason was the president of the WCHA. There is no JeffB on our site or the WCHA forums.

I had Bing create dozens of interesting and amusing canoe-related images, but didn't save any of the others. You can see small mistakes in the four pictures I posted above. In the third picture down, the bow of that canoe looks like it was built by me, and a thwart goes right through the maiden's calf.

On the subject of anatomy, I only see two poorly drawn hands (paws), holding a broken canoe shaft, on the moose. (Maybe I have to as admin.)

I like number 3. The bark is wrong-side-to, her right hand is on backwards, and I'm still trying to decide whether she's wearing anything under that fringe.

Here is Bing AI's conception of a hunter carrying a canoe on a trail through the woods. Personally, I've never tried this method. But if you lend me your axe, I might try it with one of my senescent canoes.

Hunter carrying canoe through trail in the woods.jpg

Here is a canoe going over a waterfall in the style of Salvador Dali. You can specify different painter's styles.

Canoe over waterfall Dali.jpg

I like number 3.

I've settled on number 2. I think she's a ten year old girl standing in the big family canoe wondering what's beyond those mountains and what future lies ahead of her. Technically, I like the reflections in the water and the glacier coming down into the lake at the far end. She can't be in eastern Canada or U.S.; it must be western Canada or northwest U.S.

Sorry if I come off as a buzz kill but the initial request to vote for my favorite Indian maiden makes me uncomfortable. I've been fortunate enough to have been accepted into an Abenaki Native American community in VT and, after spending years with them, I now understand why they have so many issues at times with non-Native folks. Those images are pretty stereotypical. Between them they show an overly sexualized female wearing inappropriate clothing & head gear in canoes that are the figment of someone's imagination.

Now, to be clear, I don't feel there was any intention of insulting Native American's in Glenn's post. In fact, his other AI inspired creations show the limitations and possibilities of the technology; some of them both interesting and humorous. Hopefully, that's how we can move forward with this topic.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back